[meph] still plays
Veteran³
Old
141 - 05-08-2015, 20:27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
this is an epic nu metal tribe video lol

this and ones that were scored with let the bodies hit the floor

there was a whole period in time where that was the most used song for video game videos

this is y the stereotype of video game nerds being school shooters happened imo + columbine
hehe i think u r right about this columbine-ish tie to late 90's video gamings
another fukn sik ass nu metal kyuss compilatio

-- dutch and eldee best man skin players ever probly

i had friend tell me 1337 speak was invented in pre 1.0 counterstrike, i ask him if he fuqin kiddin then i forget only the spergiest remember/played triebs

Sponsored Links
Kismet
Veteran
Old
142 - 05-08-2015, 20:33
1337 speak will liveo n 4ever

groove i disagree that the majority adopted lasthope

what i do kno tho is that a lot of ppl on tw liked the idea of stopping happy mod at first when 1.14 came out and then as it got bypassed, and ppl noticed the bloated lag (and dont say you cant feel it because it is very obviously much like switching from the community to a tr server you also feel the lag from the bloated code) and more iterations of lasthope were released and ppl forced to install them ppl just got sick of it and decided to move on

i know this killed the server populations immensely

pls remember t:v came out during this time, there were a million other games too so maybe considering it kill the game is too strong a phrasing maybe its better to jsut say all the different versions of lasthope, plus other things, put ppl in the mindset that it was better to move on than to continue to play tribes 1

Last edited by Kismet; 05-08-2015 at 21:19..
Kismet
Veteran
Old
143 - 05-08-2015, 20:34
u kno pft worked on lasthope till 1.30 and i think aside from me and a handful of ppl no one knew about this

i can honestly remember saying PFT works on lasthope in tribes talk back then and on twl and most ppl were like wtf is pft??

it was not advertised by andrew as still being available he just said "interpolate doesnt work now so those annoying no skill lt kids cant chain us hahahah"

funny how he kept a relatively unknown netset variable almost as powerful as interpolate secret to himself

groove
VeteranXX
Old
144 - 05-08-2015, 20:52
there's actually posts by andrew long before interpolate even became a thing where he pointed out both vars and most people were like 'yeah who cares that you can adjust netsettings that's fine'

and a number of people did it for years

i even remember the week where andrew got a bunch of HT people to try out his settings and suddenly their whole team was chaining, pretty sure Dutch was there for that too

we played them one day and they barely chained and then we played them the next day and that's all they did and then about a week later everyone was using it and the real debate blew up

and this was literally years after people had talked about and not cared about netsettings

i still think the whole netsettings debate is stupid and people should be able to alter it although i think it would be best if the game did it by itself like 1.40 does with pft but with both and then no one would have to tweak anything and we'd all shut up about it

Dutch
VeteranXX
Old
145 - 05-08-2015, 21:34
interpolate was the big thing for a time but the aussies on g2 were already using pft

take a guess how they got it

Dutch
VeteranXX
Old
146 - 05-08-2015, 21:36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove View Post
there's actually posts by andrew long before interpolate even became a thing where he pointed out both vars and most people were like 'yeah who cares that you can adjust netsettings that's fine'

and a number of people did it for years

i even remember the week where andrew got a bunch of HT people to try out his settings and suddenly their whole team was chaining, pretty sure Dutch was there for that too

we played them one day and they barely chained and then we played them the next day and that's all they did and then about a week later everyone was using it and the real debate blew up

and this was literally years after people had talked about and not cared about netsettings

i still think the whole netsettings debate is stupid and people should be able to alter it although i think it would be best if the game did it by itself like 1.40 does with pft but with both and then no one would have to tweak anything and we'd all shut up about it
i remember coming back after not playing for a while and suddenly dudes from SES and td could suddenly chain with no effort and i was confused

at one point some guy in a pub said nice interpolate to someone else, and i didnt know what that meant haha

pancake
Banned
Old
147 - 05-08-2015, 21:45
i think the bottom line of this thread really should just be

the iterations of these anti cheats have undeniably both divided and killed large portions of the community much in the same way the cheats did in the first place

also lasthope is a laggy pos in many ways except for the one that injects that new netcode that works really nice

Laughing-Stork
VeteranXV
Old
148 - 05-08-2015, 22:33
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyCat View Post
this is what im talking about but stork can't remember past the last 4 years cause *cough* he didnt play 7-8 years ago during first last hope

no hard feelings stork but when i talk about this stuff this is what i mean

honestly dare i thank you for saying this more eloquently than i can

this has been my opinion from day 1 on the matter always will be
I started playing in LT servers during the summer of 05. I believe 1.15 was the current patch. I can remember the switch to 1.20 and to 1.30. I believe there was a 1.30b or something for a short time that was kind of a test version or something idk. I may even have that version on a cd with my old tribes files.

I played tribes demo till like 2000 and then switched to full version but mainly played in the afternoon. I had a TW account back then too an used to download tribes **** from here all of the time. I've known MasterAce since I was 12. I don't know why you play me down as some dude who started playing tribes in 2008. The reason I "became good" at the game later on was because I never had an opportunity to commit to a team and play competitively till 05. I was 18 in 05 and finally had my own computer. My problem wasn't skill it was more not knowing how to play competitively. Plus I was never much of a chainer in pubs so I basically had to learn how to cg.

There now you know and can stop acting like I'm sleepy.

Laughing-Stork
VeteranXV
Old
149 - 05-08-2015, 23:10
and as far as this whole lasthope killed tribes deal.

I realize there has been a lot of shady **** that has gone down with lasthope and bypasses. But to me, I'd rather a minority cheat than the majority. Because to me the beauty of tribes is the guessing game. you take out the guessing game and you are left with who has the best aim. You guys are literally saying you want no anticheat so it's possible to have the combination of best possible player prediction along with knowing exactly where everyone is on the map. How much fun would that be? Snow and Rtcll are on the same team playing D..how are you going to cap on them? Is there a point in running routes? It basically becomes team arena with some dudes trying to work a flag down the middle of the map. Don't you think this style of play would have killed tribes as well? No? Tell my why. Because people wouldn't have to download the latest version of an anticheat to play? Not because when they came back and tried to run their old favorite routes, they had a really hard time grabbing the flag and hiding with it.

The ability to hide in tribes is what levels the playing field. It's what helps the cappers who aren't the best killers become great players. Were darkforce/thorin/fett on the same killing ability of dutch and chump? How much would they enjoy playing against dutch when he knew exactly where they were at? This is what I'm talking about. I don't care if a large number of players had bypasses. You don't know if they were bypassing just to terp or had HM as well. But the point is, they weren't openly cheating. Which means they had to hide it and not play like everyone else was cheating. There is a huge difference between trying to hide cheats and openly cheating. Dare knows what it's like to openly do it and how much it changes the game. You can still be really sick when you're trying to hide it, it really depends on how much you know the game. Fedz was terrible at hiding it. Sleepy was pretty good at hiding it. I've never joined a server with cheats on. Not even togglable. My pov is based on my thought process while playing tribes and thinking how I'd play if I knew incoming route directions.

Tribes would be dead either way 1.11 or 1.30. I appreciate 1.41 because I'm used to the stutter of lasthope or would rather play against a majority of clean players. If there are people with 1.41 bypasses, unless its rtcll/repbot/sleepy/fis/dare, I don't really care. The rest don't even know how to make cheats effective. Exactly who stopped playing when 1.41 was released? drg0n and xtasy. Who started playing tribes again when sleepy released the public hm? drg0n and xtasy. If either one of them want to come in here and defend themselves I will laugh hysterically. If they want to call me a skinny nerd who has no life and is out to witch hunt people in a dead video, I will still be laughing. I'm not the one cheating in a dead video game.

Last edited by Laughing-Stork; 05-09-2015 at 00:36..
Kismet
Veteran
Old
150 - 05-09-2015, 01:25
dood drg0n and xtasy weren't playing because there was a bypass thats just silly witch hunt logic they were playing because they liked tribes and theyd be playing without a bypass if it wasnt available as well. the reasons why they both arent playing now are related to personal life stuff not 1.41

also i have no idea about this whole concept of hiding cheats vs cheating openly because it is really speculative when you're only using 25 second clips of demos that seemingly incriminate people its really easy to just cry about cheats because someone gets a lucky shot or seemingly follows someone through a hill or wall.

i know that a lot of people even with cheats didnt become as aware as me because they simply don't get the metagame of tribes like i do so they couldn't make use of the advantage of the cheats like i did. it really really pays off if you're the only one cheating and know how to home d correctly to stop routed timed regrabs after the flag returns quickly or know how to play swing d as lo and most people have no clue how to do this without cheats let alone with them. i do know though that a lot of the speculation of who is hiding cheats vs cheating openly was conjecture and though the cheats could be toggled it really made little difference in how good these players were at all. the best example of that were people like maverick or ribs cheating for a whole year straight and still being completely useless the majority of the time.

also like i said i agree with you i like that there aren't perma iffs in ctf but i also don't mind that much potentially playing a high level game with high level players where to pull the flag you have to work vs an automatically very aware defense. in fact its very similar to high level a+ pus already that are cheat free. and though the cheats do change the metagame i dont think its that terrible or different than playing a high level pu with A+ players that are super aware and work as a team already. still id rather play without them. but the only parts of the metagame being affected at that level really are not being able to hide which is a gay way to cap anyway and makes a lot of people rage and stand defense.

i hid on rtcll and capped in a 7 to 7 tie cluster map this year and he freaked the **** out and it was a really dirty cap. i put it on youtube as well. i do not feel good about myself for that cap. it was ****ing gay.

and in a match when you have vent or even in one where you don't if its a high level game most people are going to know which way the cappers are coming from already, when the llamas are going to hit, which direction people are leaving. it really does not change the game that much to have these things pointed out for you blatantly when you're in a high level a+ game and just makess the lo job more about killing people or moving them than tricking them. and guess what the game is already like that with lo when you're loing vs someone with stupid aim like chump dutch or rtcll etc and they have a strong home d as well. it really is no more worse than loing vs them without the cheats. ya you lose the ability to surprise them and have to move them out of position more or kill them but that happened a long time ago when they got interpolate or 16 ping anyway and could double cg ppl in .2 seconds.

i played a game as home d with chump chasing once in like 06 or 07 and it was the only time i ever heard him tell anyone good job you played good. and it was because we stopped every grab of some stupid offensive combo of lix non anemix on raindance and they never made it past quarter map. and we did that without cheats. so really you can get totally bad shut out games without the cheats too.

lastly and most importantly

just because there is no anticheat does not mean a majority of people would be cheating.

tribes lasted a long long time with no anticheat before lasthope came out and cheaters were still caught even icehawk got caught so its not like lasthope was necessary to catch cheaters or that everyone was cheating before lasthope either. not to mention everyone knew where to get the bypasses from and not many people did. and even when they did and got caught no one got banned permanently or really even outed for it. like when rtcll solidsnake gavin and those other guys got picked up with the bypass no one made a thread about it there wasn't drama they were just told privately to stop cheating and ppl moved on most people didn't even know this happened.

lasthope didn't kill tribes because people couldn't cheat, no one is arguing that, so don't simplify the argument to that, lasthope killed tribes because it forced people to download multiple iterations of a junk anti cheat that was bypassed as soon as it came out and people got sick of having to do that to connect to their favorite servers. lasthope was also incompatible with a lot of mods like lestat posted in this thread and it became a real chore to have to constantly have the right version just to connect to the server you wanted when there were multiple versions and not all servers were running the same one. when that happened a lot of ppl just said **** this and went to play cs or whatever their 2nd favorite game was

Last edited by Kismet; 05-09-2015 at 02:31..
lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
151 - 05-09-2015, 01:38
andrew killed tribes

darkpiece
VeteranXX
Old
152 - 05-09-2015, 02:44
thuis is how u start a thread

i wasnt even serious 2 begin w