Downloading now, thinking about playing

They seem pretty balanced on the surface, and I get the feeling from the chat in-game that the skills you learn and the size of your fleet/in-game wallet is more of a factor end game than your base stats or race.

As far as access to ships, getting the ability to use another races chassis appears to be nothing more than buying another skill book and then buying the ship you want. All the internals appear universal and are learned separately from the ship types themselves.

my opinion (yes my OPINION not stating as fact)

Minmitar = missles and turrets. Fast, great pvp boats armor tank if I remember right

Caldari = mostly missles with some turret boats mixed in. Slow, shield tank

amarr = first character, I hate this race but its personal preference. armor tanks, my issue was they are laser based and lasers use cap which can turn into a nightmare to manage.

Gallente = mostly drone based, good both in pve and pvp.

My favorite so far is my Caldari, The only race I have not played minmitar, but my good eve buddy plays all minmitar ships and he loves it so I might try one of those next

as for ships:

Frigs, Interceptors and AF's are a great start.

Move up to cruisers and get all support skills to get good in one.

Then to battlecruiser

then move up to HAC (if you do not have 150m+ to spend on a ship that you will end up losing, bypass HAC)

Then to Battleships.

thats what I am doing on my caldari and I have a lot more success, with my Amarr I trained strait to Battleship and had no good support skills and it sucked the whole time I played I hated it because I had an awsome ship I couldnt do shit with. A lot of people make this mistake they train for the new bad ass ship, and do not have the skills or money to fly it then die get pissed and quit. Save yourself the trouble =)

Last edited:
Shadow13 said:
my opinion (yes my OPINION not stating as fact)

Minmitar = missles and turrets. Fast, great pvp boats armor tank if I remember right

Caldari = mostly missles with some turret boats mixed in. Slow, shield tank

amarr = first character, I hate this race but its personal preference. armor tanks, my issue was they are laser based and lasers use cap which can turn into a nightmare to manage.

Gallente = mostly drone based, good both in pve and pvp.

My favorite so far is my Caldari, The only race I have not played minmitar, but my good eve buddy plays all minmitar ships and he loves it so I might try one of those next

as for ships:

Frigs, Interceptors and AF's are a great start.

Move up to cruisers and get all support skills to get good in one.

Then to battlecruiser

then move up to HAC (if you do not have 150m+ to spend on a ship that you will end up losing, bypass HAC)

Then to Battleships.

thats what I am doing on my caldari and I have a lot more success, with my Amarr I trained strait to Battleship and had no good support skills and it sucked the whole time I played I hated it because I had an awsome ship I couldnt do shit with. A lot of people make this mistake they train for the new bad ass ship, and do not have the skills or money to fly it then die get pissed and quit. Save yourself the trouble =)

Gallente sounds interesting, how do drones work exactly? Do they just fly out and attack shit for you? No lasers or rockets or anything?

Drones are awesome. You command them to attack and they can do all the damage types. They use no ammo, are mwd equipped with a max range (without mods) of 45km. The sizes are small, medium, heavy, sentry (much like a tribes turret once deployed, except they dont auto target & fire), and fighters (carrier based). Of course they work best with Gallente ships having related bonuses.

Since RMR they have added logistics drones that can web, paint, jam, repair armor and shield, and nos. There are also several drone mods you can add to your ship that increase speed, targetting, and range, with more mods to be released later that will increase drone bay size, add additional drones, etc.

The only down side at this time is the navigation ai has a bug where upon commanding them to return to bay, they navigate to about 1km from scoop range and turn off their mwd. Quite annoying, but I get around that by commanding them to 'return and orbit' and once they are orbiting me then 'scoop to bay'.

i want to give this game a shot and try it, but this all sounds so fucking confusing and more like some confusing science fiction movie twisted in with an engineering class, with some economics in there.

When i get home from classes, i don't want to do more work. :(

Frig - Destroyer (optional) - Cruiser - Battlecruiser (optional) - Battleship - T2 Frigs - T2 whatever is the progression I would recommend.

Destroyer and Battlecruiser aren't great leaps forward over their lower-priced counterparts while you still have low SP, so unless you train specifically to play to their strengths, they may be hard to fit and lose alot of bonuses.

Don't even consider training for HACs until you reach 10mil + SP. Losing 200 million or more per loss, which will happen alot without said skills, will qiuckly put you in a hole. Battleships, while expensive to newer characters, are actually quit affordable due to insurance. Depending on your fittings and purchase price, you can lose as little as 20-30 million on a BS after insurance.

Slobax said:
i want to give this game a shot and try it, but this all sounds so fucking confusing and more like some confusing science fiction movie twisted in with an engineering class, with some economics in there.

When i get home from classes, i don't want to do more work. :(
It's really only as complex as you make it.

You can easily make a character and hop in a frigate and fly around to asteroid belts and shoot stuff.

Yeah there are certain character/ship combinations that will allow you to be an effective suicide pirate within a few days.

NAT Mav said:
Yeah there are certain character/ship combinations that will allow you to be an effective suicide pirate within a few days.

I went Minmatar and took some turret bonuses. Planning on working on my learning skills, then get up in frigates and maybe missiles. Not really sure what I'm doing yet=P

Uncle Slappy said:
I went Minmatar and took some turret bonuses. Planning on working on my learning skills, then get up in frigates and maybe missiles. Not really sure what I'm doing yet=P

If i remember correctly there is always a ship in each class that is basically built for Projectile turrets over missiles, if you want to save yourself some time just focus on turrets and other pirating skills like jamming and NOS

Greywolf said:
If i remember correctly there is always a ship in each class that is basically built for Projectile turrets over missiles, if you want to save yourself some time just focus on turrets and other pirating skills like jamming and NOS

That would be good, I was only really gonna learn missiles since i had empty slots for them. Whats NOS?

Nosferatu is an energy vampire. It sucks energy from the targets cap and adds it to your own. Also Energy Neutralizer is the same class but it simply fucksmashes it at a greater rate then nos. Requires Energy Emissions skill. Very good pvp and pve skill.

And an empty high slot. I remember now that I've never used them because: A. I hate to give up a missile slot, and B. missiles use no capacitor, and my range means that everything's dead before it's within falloff.

If you're thinking about pirating, there's a decent thread on bare minimum skills, it's a little out of date, but it'll give you an idea on what you need for a few skills and how to basically start pirating.

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=189700

You'll also find a ton of setups in the setup sticky:

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=333309

Just be forewarned, low SP belt pirating is fun but it's really not very profitable unless done in a gang and even then it's not very profitable. High SP pirating (Gate sniping or gate camping etc) can be very profitable (Not as profitable as basically any of the 0.0 activities you could be doing with the same SP though.)

Back