Scholars discover ancient tablet that talks about Jesus before Jesus was born. :o by Dumpy Dooby - Page 7 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Scholars discover ancient tablet that talks about Jesus before Jesus was born. :o
Page 7 of 8
Sipher77
Veteran++
Old
121 - 07-07-2008, 16:18
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr0 View Post
I'll rephrase. I don't think you think its "okay" for those kinds of things to happen to other people.

You fear that those things may happen to you. And if they did, you would possibly doubt your faith.

Don't you fear that those things may happen to others? And if they did, shouldn't you doubt your faith? Whether these things happen to you specifically shouldn't matter.
We are having a discussion in the "How to convert an Unbeliever" thread that answers this in my mind. Check it out.

Sponsored Links
Sipher77
Veteran++
Old
122 - 07-07-2008, 16:19
I bring up an interesting point I thought of when I was posting an answer to something else.

It is not God himself who hurts and starves people. It is us. If everyone followed the teachings of Christ to the letter, no one would starve, no one would fight. We would all be in peace with one another, all of us brothers and sisters of the World.

I will mention something I said to you in an email. God is like our mother and our father.

Assume for example you decide to drink alot of alcohol and drive. As a result of this you hit someone else and kill them. Do you say to yourself, why didnt my dad stop me from doing this? Why didnt my mother stop me from making a mistake and hurting other people?

It is not your parents who is at fault here, it is you for making a bad decision.

God is like our parents in many ways. He lays down what he wants from us, he gives us the ability to know right from wrong, and he expects us to follow it. It is not God's fault if we decide not to.

LGBR
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
123 - 07-07-2008, 16:25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpy Dooby View Post
Jews do not believe that everyone that isn't Jewish is damned.
So the first two commandments of the 613 they have (Aseret ha-Dibrot) are merely suggestions?

I am the Lord, thy God. Thou shalt have none other before me.

That's what it says. They don't believe in hell or Satan as far as I know, but there are probably plenty of different ways to be "damned."

Also: Christians get the laughable religion award of the day for not being smart enough to handle the other 603 commandments.

Archimedes
VeteranXV
Old
124 - 07-07-2008, 16:27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipher77 View Post
God

Dumpy Dooby
VeteranX
Old
125 - 07-07-2008, 16:46
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGBR View Post
So the first two commandments of the 613 they have (Aseret ha-Dibrot) are merely suggestions?

I am the Lord, thy God. Thou shalt have none other before me.

That's what it says. They don't believe in hell or Satan as far as I know, but there are probably plenty of different ways to be "damned."

Also: Christians get the laughable religion award of the day for not being smart enough to handle the other 603 commandments.
Those are commandments for the children of Israel, not for the entirety of mankind.

perro
VeteranXV
Old
126 - 07-07-2008, 16:55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
See, Moses was a capper.
That I get.
But what mod was Jesus playing?
Sure wasn't base.
I think I am gonna make this a shirt...

Ultrakiller
VeteranX
Old
127 - 07-07-2008, 17:06
Wait, you are in the army? Do your commandments have an off switch when going to kill some ragheads?
You explain your faith/religion/values/opinions in such detail that it is obvious you are attention whoring every religion thread.
You probably read your posts out loud getting off thinking Jesus will give you pats on the back for being such a good little christian

Sipher77
Veteran++
Old
128 - 07-07-2008, 17:10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrakiller View Post
Wait, you are in the army? Do your commandments have an off switch when going to kill some ragheads?
You explain your faith/religion/values/opinions in such detail that it is obvious you are attention whoring every religion thread.
You probably read your posts out loud getting off thinking Jesus will give you pats on the back for being such a good little christian
I justify my occupation by citing the parable of the Centurion's slave. Jesus healed the Centurion's slave and was surprised by how much faith the Centurion had in him and God.

He did not mention anything of the Centurion's occupation.

Some Centurions were questioning him, saying, "And what about us, what shall we do?" And he said to them, "Do not take money from anyone by force, or accuse anyone falsely, and be content with your wages." This is from Luke btw.

Ultrakiller
VeteranX
Old
129 - 07-07-2008, 17:14
How convenient for you.
You follow Jesus teachings, do you believe he would join an army and be able to kill someone?

Sipher77
Veteran++
Old
130 - 07-07-2008, 17:17
Quote:
How convenient for you.
You follow Jesus teachings, do you believe he would join an army and be able to kill someone?
His mission in this life was not to command and army and kill, even though that was his right.

Unfortantely, because of my sins I am unable to follow Christ's teachings to the letter, but with forgiveness from the Lord and the Holy Spirit guiding me, I believe that he will guide my life as he sees fit for whom am I to question him?

Ultrakiller
VeteranX
Old
131 - 07-07-2008, 17:21
There will always be some loophole in some parable or story, so that self-righteous christians can skip the most simple of commandments.

Pulling the "I am a sinner" defense, way to dodge.

Sipher77
Veteran++
Old
132 - 07-07-2008, 17:23
Quote:
There will always be some loophole in some parable or story, so that self-righteous christians can skip the most simple of commandments.

Pulling the "I am a sinner" defense, way to dodge.
I do not mean this as a jibe, but if you could cite an example of a parable having some sort of loophole, i would want to know so I can ask the question to someone more informed then I for the answer.

Also I am not self righteous. I am righteous in Christ because only through him can I truly be righteous.

Dumpy Dooby
VeteranX
Old
133 - 07-07-2008, 17:29
Sipher, how do you apologize for the discrepancy in the two creation stories? Specifically, what is your response to the conflicted chronology between the creation of man and the creation of animals in chapters 1 and 2 of Genesis?

Or do you acknowledge that there are, in fact, two independent creation stories being told by two different people that were joined together by a redactor?

Sipher77
Veteran++
Old
134 - 07-07-2008, 17:42
http://www.bibleriches.org/2002/apol/gen01and02.html

This site probably explains that better then I could. I have no real opinion on that matter Dooby.

Dumpy Dooby
VeteranX
Old
135 - 07-07-2008, 17:58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipher77 View Post
http://www.bibleriches.org/2002/apol/gen01and02.html

This site probably explains that better then I could. I have no real opinion on that matter Dooby.
His claims about what the actual Hebrew text says are wrong. Not only is the author an amateur apologist, but he's a liar as well.

kharnal
VeteranX
Old
136 - 07-07-2008, 19:31
Sipher - *AAAACHhoooooo*

Dooby - "When you die, nothing happens."

Dumpy Dooby
VeteranX
Old
137 - 07-07-2008, 19:45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharnal View Post
Sipher - *AAAACHhoooooo*

Dooby - "When you die, nothing happens."

gay hay!

ZOD
VeteranX
Old
138 - 07-07-2008, 19:48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpy Dooby View Post
The two of you seem to be making two different points.

LGBR seems to be saying that there is zero historical evidence that any of Jesus's miracles occurred, thus leading to a conclusion that if there was a Jesus, it certainly wasn't the Jesus portrayed in the synoptic gospels.

ZOD seems to be saying that evidence supporting the historicity of Jesus falls short of be convincing.

The former is absolutely correct, while the latter is naive. Given that what we understand about the conditions in which Jesus would have lived, and the manner in which he died, it is unlikely that there would be any historical evidence at all. But we have Roman and Jewish historians writing about him less than a 100 years after his death, and that's not to mention he's being written about in religious canon almost immediately after his death. This evidence is plenty sufficient for historians, which is why you won't find a historian, not even one from a secular school, that outright claims that the historicity of Jesus is questionable. Even Doherty -- one of the more well known folks that generally supports the Jesus myth hypothesis -- doesn't outright make such a positive claim. Robert Price also generally supports the hypothesis, but from a different perspective: he suggests that the doctrine has deviated so far away from what would have been the life of Jesus that it's no longer intellectually honest to claim that the doctrine is talking about the same Jesus that physically existed in history ... but note that he doesn't say that no such person ever existed. Why? Because relative to contextual evidence of other historical figures, that's a dumb thing to say; that's why.
After the fact is not good enough especially when you take into account the meticulous record keep of the Romans during the same period. Sorry, written text after the fact is not sufficient for me. So I say it is a fabrication until it is otherwise proven to my satisfaction.

Dumpy Dooby
VeteranX
Old
139 - 07-07-2008, 20:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOD View Post
After the fact is not good enough especially when you take into account the meticulous record keep of the Romans during the same period. Sorry, written text after the fact is not sufficient for me. So I say it is a fabrication until it is otherwise proven to my satisfaction.
Pray tell, what do you actually know about Roman record keeping?

And as I mentioned in another thread, the only written accounts of Alexander the Great that we have come over a hundred years after his death ... and those accounts only exist because some guy 400 years after his death decided to copy that. In other words, we only actually have text that can be dated to 400 years after his death. So by logical extension of contextual evidence, you must necessarily be of the opinion that Alexander the Great did not exist, right?

Dumpy Dooby
VeteranX
Old
140 - 07-07-2008, 20:03
And I would imagine that the same holds true for Socrates, right?

Page 7 of 8

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Scholars discover ancient tablet that talks about Jesus before Jesus was born. :o

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
all cops are jews , ban dumpy dooby , fatbody , he is a doctor , jews killed jesus , magical sky fairy , religion , repent , ron paul , there is no god