Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fallout 3 = Oblivion with guns
Page 9 of 11
Daedalus
VeteranXV
Old
161 - 11-06-2008, 23:50
Well I've put quite a bit of time into it. So far, I really don't like it.

I understand it's post-apocalyptic, and atom bombs went off, and everything is desolate, but that doesn't make it fun to look at or explore. Every single thing the game is brown. Light brown, regular brown, dark brown. The only color in the entire game comes from the blood. It's just boring as **** walking around looking at the same dilapidated roads, overpasses, and buildings. I get it, the world sucks now, that doesn't make it fun to explore. I'm tired of straining my eyes looking between the beige items on the ground whilst trying to find the off-beige upgrades scattered about in the dark-beige dust piles.

Also, why the **** aren't there any movement related skills? Increased running speed? Jumping? Sprinting maybe?

Oblivion was way better than this game. It was actually nice to look at, forests were a lot of fun to explore through. There was a variety in the cities, towns, hills, forests, plains, and mountains. It actually felt like your explorations resulted in something, you could physically see the change in scenery when you traveled north and things became colder, more desolate, and snow accumulated. In Fallout I could go from one corner of the map to the other and (without looking at the map or compass) I would have no idea if I had actually explored to a new region or just gone in a big circle.

Last edited by Daedalus; 11-06-2008 at 23:53..
Sponsored Links
Rilke
VeteranX
Old
162 - 11-06-2008, 23:58
Patch available. Haven't tried it yet.

Fallout: Welcome to the Official Site

Stilgar
VeteranXX
Old
163 - 11-07-2008, 00:04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilke View Post
Patch available. Haven't tried it yet.

Fallout: Welcome to the Official Site
4. Update 1.0.0.15 Notes

Bug Fixes

Fixed occasional crashes when exiting the game or using Alt F4 to exit.

Fixed crashes when using Alt-Tab while binks or credits were playing.

The game now restarts properly after title updates finish installing.

No more dvd check?

Last edited by Stilgar; 11-07-2008 at 00:07..
Breadman86
VeteranXX
Old
164 - 11-07-2008, 00:09
I tend to agree with Daedalus as well. I'm utterly sick of brown games. Hell, even STALKER, another gritty FPS/RPG-ish hybrid with a semi-open-world and mutants, was more colorful than this. It was subdued color, but it was variety.

I still can't get over the fact that I'm able to find loot everywhere, but for 200 years no one else has bothered to open up some of these metal boxes, cash registers, or explore. Am I the only brave soul in existence? Why am I finding this crap? Also, why did I run into a lady who was crazed dreaming about potluck dinners and kids playing in the grass outside like she had lived it? Her grandmother wouldn't have even been near old enough to experience anything like that. Wtf.

Rilke
VeteranX
Old
165 - 11-07-2008, 00:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman86 View Post
I still can't get over the fact that I'm able to find loot everywhere, but for 200 years no one else has bothered to open up some of these metal boxes, cash registers, or explore. Am I the only brave soul in existence? Why am I finding this crap? Also, why did I run into a lady who was crazed dreaming about potluck dinners and kids playing in the grass outside like she had lived it? Her grandmother wouldn't have even been near old enough to experience anything like that. Wtf.
I still can't get over the fact that I get experience points for killing people, or that when I gain a certain amount of experience points I gain a level, or how when I gain a level I get to allocate points to skills, or how when after I gain a level and get to allocate points to skills I get to pick perks. It's so unrealistic. WTF.

Breadman86
VeteranXX
Old
166 - 11-07-2008, 00:16

All I'm saying is that Bethesda went with what they knew how to do related to loot. And it works in most of their games, it's not always ridiculously unrealistic. They threw in what they knew and didn't bother with creativity. It's a minor thing, sure.

SuicideSnowman
VeteranXV
Old
167 - 11-07-2008, 00:18
I have a hard time believing you actually think about that while you're playing the game.

Breadman86
VeteranXX
Old
168 - 11-07-2008, 00:20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSnowman View Post
I have a hard time believing you actually think about that while you're playing the game.
What else am I supposed to think about in a game this boring?

SuicideSnowman
VeteranXV
Old
169 - 11-07-2008, 00:21
How about why you're playing a game that you consider boring? That'd be my first question.

Rilke
VeteranX
Old
170 - 11-07-2008, 00:23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSnowman View Post
How about why you're playing a game that you consider boring? That'd be my first question.

Breadman86
VeteranXX
Old
171 - 11-07-2008, 00:26
A) I bought it expecting it to be good
B) The story intrigues me

Kurayami
Banned
Old
172 - 11-07-2008, 00:58
Quote:
I tend to agree with Daedalus as well. I'm utterly sick of brown games. Hell, even STALKER, another gritty FPS/RPG-ish hybrid with a semi-open-world and mutants, was more colorful than this. It was subdued color, but it was variety.
The irony here is that I have noticed that many of the same people defending F3 are the very people that bashed Stalker (which was a far superior game, by the way.)

SuicideSnowman
VeteranXV
Old
173 - 11-07-2008, 01:04
Your opinion sucks. Die in a fire.

Breadman86
VeteranXX
Old
174 - 11-07-2008, 01:07
I'm actually agreeing with Kura. Stalker, as much as it fell short in what it could have been, was a great game. I haven't started Clear Sky yet, so I have no opinion.

I don't hate Fallout 3 though. I just find it to be mediocre.

SuicideSnowman
VeteranXV
Old
175 - 11-07-2008, 01:08
All these games suck dick compared to Super Mario Bros.

Smokeypancake
Veteran++
Old
176 - 11-07-2008, 01:26
I agree. Stalker is better than Fallout 3. Clear Sky is awesome btw, but it really needs the patches that came out.

I already posted my thoughts in FO3.

Kurayami
Banned
Old
177 - 11-07-2008, 01:28
Quote:
I'm actually agreeing with Kura. Stalker, as much as it fell short in what it could have been, was a great game. I haven't started Clear Sky yet, so I have no opinion.
Yeah. If they had stuck to the original plans for it, it could have easily been one of the best games of all time.

It wasn't great, but it was certainly way above par and I enjoyed most of it (aside from the very last segment.)

Quote:
I don't hate Fallout 3 though. I just find it to be mediocre.
Pretty much.

It's a mediocre FPS masquerading as a sequel to one of the greatest RPG series of all time.
It isn't terrible.
But it absolutely is not great and is unworthy of the Fallout name.

Had it been called "Nuclear FPS" and not received a massive budget for publicity, people like Tahnit would not be proclaiming that it is an "AMAZING GAME" and it probably would have slipped beneath the radar like most mediocre games tend to.

What's really sad is that Troika (AKA most of the big players from Black Isle) already made a modern, first person RPG: Vampire Bloodlines. I highly doubt that they would have taken Fallout in this direction in any scenario, but VtMB, while mechanically similar to F3, is so superior that it isn't even funny and really makes you wonder what could have been had Bethesda had the foresight to bring some of the actual Fallout developers onto the team.

VtMB was a great game and is a perfect example of how an RPG with guns should be handled.
F3 is a mediocre FPS and serves as an example of how not to make a sequel.

Bethesda does one thing and only one thing well: The Elder Scrolls, and, judging by Oblivion, they're even screwing that up.

JodoFett
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
178 - 11-07-2008, 01:36
I downloaded Fallout 1+2 - I'll check them out. I always heard about them but never really gave them a try. Honestly, I didn't even really know what they were.

Kurayami
Banned
Old
179 - 11-07-2008, 01:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodoFett View Post
I downloaded Fallout 1+2 - I'll check them out. I always heard about them but never really gave them a try. Honestly, I didn't even really know what they were.
If you liked F3, don't bother.
You won't like them.

JodoFett
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
180 - 11-07-2008, 01:40
Sure? I don't really see how that would cause me to dislike the old ones. If anything it could potentially get me to dislike F3 more.

Page 9 of 11

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fallout 3 = Oblivion with guns

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
kurayamiwar.com