Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Safari photos for moto [Reply not new thread]
Page 1 of 2
def
VeteranXX
Old
1 - 12-17-2018, 01:37
My wife and I were looking for a big trip to take, and she suggested to go to southern africa, (south africa, botswana, victoria falls) for a 3 week trip in November. I was pretty hesitant because its africa although cape town (+wine country) and botswana are very safe. I'd have to say it's by far the best trip we have taken, although extremely expensive (~25k in 3 weeks).

If you hate flights, this is not the trip for you. 11 hours from SFO to europe (heathrow for us) then 11 more hours to Cape Town. The way back was 4+ flights, 38 hours door to door. We took 12 flights total. You shouldn't do this trip if you can only take a week or two off.

Cape town was very european and cheap. We stayed in a safe trendy area and ate very well. Even at a trendy restaurant, I'd get a filet, she'd get lamb; bottle of wine, the total would be $40USD. We hired a private tour guide to drive us around the city, the cape, and through wine country where we spent a few days. This was all arranged by a travel agent which is very common for US/euro tourists. We met a lot of people doing similar trips along the way.

We went on safari in Kruger in SA (saw the big 5 animals in the first hour), then to Victoria Falls which was OK (wouldn't recommend TBH, but saw what tourist towns in Zambia and Zimbabwe are like). Though it was nice to split up the safari days since we had ~9 days of safari.

The amazing thing about the private safari camps is they can drive anywhere. We were literally following lions, leopards, cheetahs behind by 20 feet. The guides would drive over massive bushes and even small trees with the truck to make sure we saw everything, including the hunting by the predators.
The camps have more staff than guests - 16 to 24 guests max. We each had our own house in the middle of the bush, no fences or anything. Our last camp In Botswana was on a river filled with hippos. Botswana was very safe/touristy/developed btw.

So moto, here are your requested pix delivered in a new thread.

All taken with a cheap-ish ($1100) 3 year old canon 70d with 55-250mm zoom (cropped so 250mm becomes 375mm), although we were so close in our truck at these private camps, i had to swap to a wider lense a couple times. we had lions cubs walking under our car and mom right on the side. A male lion slept under our house and woke us up one night for several hours while he grunted to other lions.

Other tourists were ranged in cameras - some dorks were taking photos with their iphone. Other groups hired their own guide/tracker/truck and had $40k+ in cameras/lenses. Average was similar to us with the 70D.

Last edited by def; 12-17-2018 at 02:26..
Sponsored Links
Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
2 - 12-17-2018, 02:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGjtv2jHKrg

Last edited by Brasstax; 12-18-2018 at 03:03..
motoxbudd
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
3 - 12-17-2018, 02:58
wow

SuicideTaxi
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
4 - 12-17-2018, 03:00
Pic of you in safari hat or I'm calling bull****

samUwell
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
5 - 12-17-2018, 09:41
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Will forever remind me of McFly.

bowl of blood
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
6 - 12-17-2018, 10:09
why did you only take pictures of stupid animals, i can see that **** in a zoo

def
VeteranXX
Old
7 - 12-17-2018, 10:27
That's like saying why eat at a Michelin star restaurant when you could eat a steak at chiles

bowl of blood
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
8 - 12-17-2018, 11:56
no it's like saying why eat a steak at a michelin star restaurant when you can have one delivered to your house

learn to do analogies IDIOT

def
VeteranXX
Old
9 - 12-17-2018, 14:52
Dang you got me.

During the hunting, we back off when prey was close and everything happens in two seconds. So I don't have any good shots of an animal being taken down. Putting the camera down to watch isn't a bad thing. Sorry my photos disappoint you.

bowl of blood
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
10 - 12-17-2018, 15:38
i'm just messing with you bro they're good shots animals are just gay u kno

def
VeteranXX
Old
11 - 12-17-2018, 15:41
<3

puncho
VeteranXX
Old
12 - 12-18-2018, 02:28
Nice pics! Looks like you saw some good stuff

Which private camps did you go to? We went to the lower sabie area in Kruger, the sightings were good but overall it was OK...obviously it's huge but I prefer the Kenyan savannas.

-SS-
VeteranXV
Old
13 - 12-18-2018, 06:03
very cool

+ rep

SuicideTaxi
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
14 - 12-18-2018, 12:45
Where da safari hat at?

Got Haggis?
VeteranXX
Old
15 - 12-18-2018, 18:48
damn, nice pics. I sometimes watch the live stream of this: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV6...hZcIX9JVJ3dCXQ

which is pretty cool - they live stream from the back of a safari jeep and since its (mostly) a private reserve, they can go anywhere. They also livestream from Kenya sometimes - especially during the great migration

(remember when we all watched that Africa Webcam at the watering hole???)

I've been thinking about planning a safari type vacation soon

SuicideTaxi
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
16 - 12-18-2018, 19:17
I love the pics, but not for nothin... on my list of "One Thousand Things To Do", I think "go to Africa, get dysentery, have wife raped, get beheaded by bushmen" really isn't ranking up there

TrojanMan421
VeteranXX
Old
17 - 12-18-2018, 19:32
itt scared boomers travel 4 days for a safe space vacation to eat what they would eat at home

def
VeteranXX
Old
18 - 12-18-2018, 20:13
here's my wife in a safari hat taxi

the places we went were very safe and had many other tourists

def
VeteranXX
Old
19 - 12-18-2018, 20:15
Quote:
Originally Posted by puncho View Post
Nice pics! Looks like you saw some good stuff

Which private camps did you go to? We went to the lower sabie area in Kruger, the sightings were good but overall it was OK...obviously it's huge but I prefer the Kenyan savannas.
We must have been close by in Kruger. Likimbi is our camp which is near the south river. We stayed at a few different Kwando camps in Botswana.

Likimbi had wifi and air conditioning. Botswana had neither... though we lucked out on weather. Also Botswana hadn't had their first rain of the season until our last full day there. That night there were a million bugs (compared to very few before). I think I had two mosquito bites in the 3 week trip.

Fool
Whiny BitchX
Contributor
Old
20 - 12-18-2018, 20:22
I like the little bird between the water buffalo's horns.

Page 1 of 2

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Safari photos for moto [Reply not new thread]

Social Website Bullshit