ITT: I will answer questions about military equipment/history. by Kurayami - Page 5 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page ITT: I will answer questions about military equipment/history.
Page 5 of 13
Uncle Slappy
VeteranXV
Old
81 - 12-22-2008, 01:57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanster View Post
Good question.

My own:

What is the current situation with the Osprey? For an aircraft that doesn't seem all that complicated, it's had a disastrous history, both in terms of cost and crashes. What went wrong with this project?
I saw one of these flying last year during football season. It was a gameday and I had just got off work at the bar and went out to the porch and some girl yelled "wtf is that?" I looked up and saw an Osprey, and said "that's a giant waste of money".

I laughed but no one else got it.

Sponsored Links
Oddiz
Veteran++
Old
82 - 12-22-2008, 02:01
I've been playing Call of Duty 5 recently I'm curious how much RL service a lot of the weapons in the game saw. Did they really have silencers back then?

hyperlite
VeteranXV
Old
83 - 12-22-2008, 02:04
do you know much about the physics of aviation or just the history and aircraft

Kurayami
Banned
Old
84 - 12-22-2008, 02:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanster View Post
What is the current situation with the Osprey? For an aircraft that doesn't seem all that complicated, it's had a disastrous history, both in terms of cost and crashes. What went wrong with this project?
I honestly haven't followed the V-22 too closely in the past few years.

Last I knew:
The USMC was totally behind the MV-22.
The USAF was very interested in the V-22.

It seems simple, but it's actually pretty complex. You're basically combining rotary wing and fixed wing dynamics into a single aircraft. The issues mostly stem from transitioning between the two. That's why a lot of Marines have died--it's sort of new terrain in practical aeronautical engineering (though the groundwork for the concepts have been around since the '40s.)

That said
As far as I know, the US is still behind the Osprey project, though my info is dated.
I believe that tilt-rotor designs will become a major factor in the 21st century. They allow for the versatility if a chopper with the range/fuel economy of a fixed wing aircraft. The military loves this (specifically the USMC--an Osprey would greatly extend their range and logistics base.)

On the civil aviation front, the proliferation of tilt rotor aircraft would basically allow major airports to be located within downtown sections of large cities and would really facilitate rapid regional travel (imagine downtown Boston to Manhattan in a tilt-rotor. You could go from downtown to downtown in a matter of hours with no hassle.)

It's a very solid concept.
Whether or not the actual V-22 design is sound... I don't have the aeronautical background to comment. I would again defer to Eggi if he sees this thread.

def
VeteranXX
Old
85 - 12-22-2008, 02:06
Not really a military q, but do you think we (or someone else) has a satellite in space that can kill people with a laser? The tech exists, right?

Kurayami
Banned
Old
86 - 12-22-2008, 02:08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddiz View Post
I've been playing Call of Duty 5 recently I'm curious how much RL service a lot of the weapons in the game saw. Did they really have silencers back then?
I haven't played a CoD since the first, so I don't know what you're talking about.

That said, "silencers" should really be called suppressors.
They don't "silence" shots or make the noises that they make in movies or games.
They basically make gunshots sound like something that doesn't really sound like a gunshot.
They also require subsonic ammo to be truly effective.

But suppressors have been around for a very long time. It really isn't a super involved concept.

Oddiz
Veteran++
Old
87 - 12-22-2008, 02:09
Quote:
Call of Duty: World at War Weapons, Multiplayer Perks Declassified

US Weapons:

* Thompson M1A1
* M1A1 Carbine
* M1 Garand
* Trench Shotgun
* Browning Automatic Rifle (B.A.R)
* Springfield M1903
* Springfield M1903: Scoped
* M2 flamethrower
* M1911 (aka Colt 45)
* Bajonet
* M9 Bazooka
* M1919A6 Browning
* M2 machinegun

Explosives:

* MK2 Frag Grenade
* Smoke Grenade
* Satchel Charges
* Mines

Russian Weapons:

* TT-33
* Mosin Nagant
* Mosin Nagant Scoped
* PPSH (71 round Drum Magazine)
* PPSH (31 round Banana Magazine)
* Bajonet

Explosives:

* RGD-33

German Weapons:

* P08 Luger
* Kar98
* Kar98 scoped
* MP44
* MP40
* MG42
* MG34
* Messer

Explosives:

* handle-grenade (aka potato masher)

Japanese Weapons:

* Nambu 14
* Arisaka Typ 99
* Typ 100 Submachine gun
* Bajonet
* Katana

Explosives:

* Kiska grenade

British Weapons:

* Sten
wtf when do you get a katana, I wan't one

Im interested mostly in the Type 100 Submachine gun, and the russian machine gun with the big ammo disc. How many do you reckon were actually deployed in the war? They're both unusual and I'm guessing their practicality died off after the war. I hadn't heard of either of these guns before I played this game.

Last edited by Oddiz; 12-22-2008 at 02:21..
Texas Dragon
VeteranXX
Old
88 - 12-22-2008, 02:11
somewhat related...

if you were to make a war movie, what war/events would you have it focus on?

Kurayami
Banned
Old
89 - 12-22-2008, 02:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlite View Post
do you know much about the physics of aviation or just the history and aircraft
Depends.
I have a working knowledge of fixed wing aviation principles, but I don't know anything beyond the basics of rotary wing flight. It's scary to have nothing but a giant rotating aerofoil keeping you from hitting the ground at terminal velocity.

I couldn't design an aerofoil, but if you give me figures like wing loading and weight I can generally understand what's going on with an airframe.

I'm in the dark about the more esoteric things. Eggi and I recently discussed some of the Luftwaffe's more advanced designs. I couldn't think of a good reason for Henchel to stick a giant vertical stab on the underside of the fuselage on one of them and he, being an aeronautical engineer, proposed that it was to improve handling at high AoAs, which made sense to me.

So basically I understand the principles of flight, but by no means am I an expert on the engineering aspects of it.

Kurayami
Banned
Old
90 - 12-22-2008, 02:15
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Not really a military q, but do you think we (or someone else) has a satellite in space that can kill people with a laser? The tech exists, right?
Probably not. The energy requirements of lasers are pretty steep.

The Soviets did launch an anti-satellite satellite in the '80s (Polyus,) but it's debatable how effective it would have been (it burned up shortly after launch.) The US had been developing anti-satellite missiles capable of being carried by F-15s (I forget the designation,) but supposedly discontinued them to adhere to treaties.

Personally, I'd put my money on ballistic weaponry over energy weaponry at this point.

hyperlite
VeteranXV
Old
91 - 12-22-2008, 02:18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurayami View Post
Depends.
I have a working knowledge of fixed wing aviation principles, but I don't know anything beyond the basics of rotary wing flight. It's scary to have nothing but a giant rotating aerofoil keeping you from hitting the ground at terminal velocity.

I couldn't design an aerofoil, but if you give me figures like wing loading and weight I can generally understand what's going on with an airframe.

I'm in the dark about the more esoteric things. Eggi and I recently discussed some of the Luftwaffe's more advanced designs. I couldn't think of a good reason for Henchel to stick a giant vertical stab on the underside of the fuselage on one of them and he, being an aeronautical engineer, proposed that it was to improve handling at high AoAs, which made sense to me.

So basically I understand the principles of flight, but by no means am I an expert on the engineering aspects of it.
wtf an aviation conversation and i wasn't invited. lol if you ever need some aeronautical incite let me know i have a few thousand hours of experience of the good kind flying

Uncle Slappy
VeteranXV
Old
92 - 12-22-2008, 02:19
What do you think of the new high-tech combat gear South Korea is developing? Is it all for show, or do you think South Korea's army is going to all be wearing it in a couple of years?

hyperlite
VeteranXV
Old
93 - 12-22-2008, 02:22
how would my cessna 207 fair against a f 22

Kurayami
Banned
Old
94 - 12-22-2008, 02:23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Dragon View Post
if you were to make a war movie, what war/events would you have it focus on?
Germany '43-'45. Specifically the Kurland Pocket.

Western history has done a lot to demonize the Germans. There is a lot there that Americans/Canadians/British/French people are not aware of.

I always recommend reading "In Deadly Combat" by Bidderman to anyone interested in WW2 history. Every single American I've recommended it to has waked away with a new understanding of WW2 Germany.

The simple fact of the matter is that the average German soldier was no more a "Nazi" than the American was a "Democrat" or the Russian was a "Bolshevik." They were just guys drafted to fight for their country. Most of them were pretty disillusioned of Hitler by '42/'43 with the SS and Hitler Jugend being the major holdouts.

It's really a pretty sad story. Even a lot of the dyed in the wool Nazis had all but been raised to be Nazis. It's really a cautionary tale of just how malleable the human psyche is. To read about the Hitler Youth or how "good Nazis" assumed command after competent commanders had been imprisoned or executed is nothing short of depressing.

However, every movie insists upon portraying every German as a Jew-killing, Hitler-loving war machine.

And I think that is not only a historical travesty, but intellectually dishonest.

The German people really need a fair shake in the collective consciousness.

My second choice would be the Finnish front. A few movies have been made (Talvosota being the most famous,) but none have been big budget. The Finnish front is probably the least known and most interesting front of WW2.

Fun fact:
The first American causality of WW2 was on the Finnish front. An American citizen returned to Finland to defend it and died in the Winter War (I forget his name, though.)

Last edited by Kurayami; 12-22-2008 at 02:25..
Kurayami
Banned
Old
95 - 12-22-2008, 02:26
Quote:
wtf an aviation conversation and i wasn't invited. lol if you ever need some aeronautical incite let me know i have a few thousand hours of experience of the good kind flying
Sure. PM me to remind me.
I've had a few drinks.

Kurayami
Banned
Old
96 - 12-22-2008, 02:26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Slappy View Post
What do you think of the new high-tech combat gear South Korea is developing? Is it all for show, or do you think South Korea's army is going to all be wearing it in a couple of years?
I honestly have no idea about what's going on in SK beyond the DMZ. I know they have some interesting gear, but I don't know much about it.

Oddiz
Veteran++
Old
97 - 12-22-2008, 02:27
-

Reggs
VeteranXX
Old
98 - 12-22-2008, 02:28
How badass are the French Foreign Legion?

Oddiz
Veteran++
Old
99 - 12-22-2008, 02:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggs View Post
How badass are the French Foreign Legion?
oo good question

Kurayami
Banned
Old
100 - 12-22-2008, 02:30
Quote:
how would my cessna 207 fair against a f 22
Pretty poorly. An AIM-120 would take it out before you even had any idea it was within 60 miles of you.

They have 300HP engines or so, right? I'm not sure, but I'd be willing to bet they put off more than enough heat for an AIM-9 to track as well. Keep a few buckets of thermite and some mag strips aboard just in case.

BTW

What is the hairiest landing you've ever done?
I'd honestly be slightly nervous flying in the bush with a single engine.

Page 5 of 13

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page ITT: I will answer questions about military equipment/history.

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
kurayamiwar.com