Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Nintendo Switch
Page 1 of 2
Flash
VeteranXX
Old
1 - 02-12-2019, 10:52
Heard these are worth picking up. Do I need to purchase a memory card also? What are the best games?

Sponsored Links
Ztir
VeteranXX
Old
2 - 02-12-2019, 11:04
Breath of the wild is the best game I've ever played, full stop

Peanut
VeteranX
Old
3 - 02-12-2019, 11:48
BOTW is good but not epic good imo

mario kart 8
smash
super mario odyssey

waiting for the next animal crossing game lul

coombz
VeteranXX
Old
4 - 02-12-2019, 12:48
you don't neeeeed a memory card, but it's nice to shove one in there if you expect to be buying games digitally

[MD5]Hash
VeteranXV
Old
5 - 02-12-2019, 13:28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
Heard these are worth picking up. Do I need to purchase a memory card also? What are the best games?
I recently picked on up.

Got the standard Switch with the grey controllers, an extra set of Joycons, a wireless pro controller, a 400GB MicroSD card, and the following games...

Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey
Splatoon2
South Park: Fractured But Whole
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Uno
Smash Bros. Ultimate
Katamari Damacy ReRoll
Monopoly
Super Mario Party

And a handful of indy titles.

I also snagged a carrying case to pack everything into.

Right away you won't really need a memory card, unless you're intending to purchase a lot of online games, in which case the 32GB of built in storage will fill up pretty fast. The Switch itself is going to set you back a nice chunk of change, and unless you buy a bundle that includes a game, so if you don't snag a game at the store at the same time, you'll probably be downloading at least one game right away.

There's a lot of really solid titles already out for the system, Zelda's kind of a no-brainer, Mario Odyssey is really great as well, and the South Park title (assuming you haven't already played it on another system) is also very solid and will keep you busy for a while.

If you're looking for something fun and easy to play with other family members that maybe aren't huge into video games, that was my motivation for picking up Monopoly. It's definitely got it's flaws (ignoring the launch issues that have long since been patched out), but it's something that a lot of people can pick up and play, and you can have like 8+ people playing locally using a variety of controller options. I will say this though, if you're thinking about picking this game up, check for the Board Games Collection, I only saw it in-store, but it included 3 board games, including the same version of Monopoly, plus it had like Trivial Pursuit and Risk included, and I think it costs less too.

Honestly, it comes down to what you like to play. Switch offers a really unique take on FPS type titles with it's point and aim approach with their controllers. For me it's like a perfect blend between a controller, and a mouse and keyboard.

On a semi-related note, I would throw the following tips out, because this is stuff I didn't even know when I got my system, and it's worth knowing before you start monkeying around with this console:

1. NEVER use a 3rd party charger on your Nintendo Switch dock. The Switch dock uses a very different protocol than standard USB Type-C devices, this affects how it charges devices and the power draw it requests from the charger. A recent patch to the Nintendo Switch firmware apparently caused a number of users to brick their systems when they attempted to use 3rd USB Type-C chargers on their docks with the Switch plugged in.

2. Don't use any 3rd party Nintendo Switch 'docks'. The only one that's known to be safe is the one where you pull the guts out of your existing Nintendo Switch dock and put it into the custom made chassis. While reports of issues with 3rd party dock substitutes are minimal, the truth is the manufacturers aren't even entirely sure on how to properly use the protocol that Nintendo's using.

Note: Any standard USB Type-C charger is safe to use on the Switch itself and the Pro Controller, just don't run it through the dock.

3. Nintendo charges the same for digital as they do for physical copies. This has to do to keeping parity with retail locations so that retailers are incentivized to carry their games in-store. While Nintendo will not drop the price of their games for Switch, 3rd party sellers on the eShop can mark their games down for sale. Just something to be aware of and keep an eye out for.

4. The Switch's Wifi connectivity is not optimized. Even if you're using a high-end dual-band router, it'll still be noticeably slower than any other device on your network. There's a couple minor tweaks you can apply to the settings to squeeze a few more MBits out of the connection, but it is what it is. There is, however, reports that the LAN adapter works a ton better; but does require the dock to make use of.

5. Digital copies of games require a kind of online DRM in order to play; so if you don't have Wifi access, the games will not be allowed to run. This is a non-issue maybe 95% of the time, but if for some reason you can't connect to any form of Wifi, you may find yourself unable to play your digital games. This is irrespective of whether or not you are running the game already, or starting it from scratch; so if you put the console into standby on a digital game, come back a couple hours later and you don't have Wifi, the game will crash out and go back to the Home screen.

6. Nintendo's online service isn't very good. The quality of how it works is really dependent on the game being played, and what options IT supports. Nintendo doesn't have a voice chat function built into the Switch (Except for Fortnite), and Nintendo has this really goofy phone app that they thought it'd be a good idea to use to operate independent of the system itself in order to add a friends list and voice chat functionality.

Rumors have circulated that Microsoft is supposedly coming in to revamp Nintendo's online service, and work out some kind of deal to bring XBox Live to Switch. So who knows at this point.

coombz
VeteranXX
Old
6 - 02-12-2019, 13:37
how do you find Splatoon 2, Hash, as a fan of multiplayer shooters?

[MD5]Hash
VeteranXV
Old
7 - 02-12-2019, 14:51
Quote:
Originally Posted by coombz View Post
how do you find Splatoon 2, Hash, as a fan of multiplayer shooters?
It's fun, I enjoy playing it. The single player of the game itself is, and I haven't gotten far in it, a bit like Mario Odyssey. Except instead of the kinds of gameplay you'd expect in a Mario game, it's based on Splatoon type gameplay.

If you can see past the cartoony graphics and the cluster that is Nintendo's online service, the game offers a lot to do, and the multiplayer is pretty fun. I just really like the controls. Most of my gaming at home is done on the PC (when I can even find time at this point), and I've always had this dislike for console gaming because the controllers just never feel as good as a mouse and keyboard, but Nintendo's got this really great sweet spot for both implementations.

Left joystick moves your character, right joystick pans the camera around, and you point and aim with the right joycon. And it's very snappy and responsive, so you can flick your crosshair like you would in a PC FPS.

But if you can't get over the cartoony graphics, Doom is another option. I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard it uses a similar control scheme, except you get to run around and rip of demon heads and shove them up their own asses.

Pagy
VeteranXX
Old
8 - 02-12-2019, 15:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by [MD5]Hash View Post
I recently picked on up.

Got the standard Switch with the grey controllers, an extra set of Joycons, a wireless pro controller, a 400GB MicroSD card, and the following games...

Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey
Splatoon2
South Park: Fractured But Whole
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Uno
Smash Bros. Ultimate
Katamari Damacy ReRoll
Monopoly
Super Mario Party

And a handful of indy titles.

I also snagged a carrying case to pack everything into.

Right away you won't really need a memory card, unless you're intending to purchase a lot of online games, in which case the 32GB of built in storage will fill up pretty fast. The Switch itself is going to set you back a nice chunk of change, and unless you buy a bundle that includes a game, so if you don't snag a game at the store at the same time, you'll probably be downloading at least one game right away.

There's a lot of really solid titles already out for the system, Zelda's kind of a no-brainer, Mario Odyssey is really great as well, and the South Park title (assuming you haven't already played it on another system) is also very solid and will keep you busy for a while.

If you're looking for something fun and easy to play with other family members that maybe aren't huge into video games, that was my motivation for picking up Monopoly. It's definitely got it's flaws (ignoring the launch issues that have long since been patched out), but it's something that a lot of people can pick up and play, and you can have like 8+ people playing locally using a variety of controller options. I will say this though, if you're thinking about picking this game up, check for the Board Games Collection, I only saw it in-store, but it included 3 board games, including the same version of Monopoly, plus it had like Trivial Pursuit and Risk included, and I think it costs less too.

Honestly, it comes down to what you like to play. Switch offers a really unique take on FPS type titles with it's point and aim approach with their controllers. For me it's like a perfect blend between a controller, and a mouse and keyboard.

On a semi-related note, I would throw the following tips out, because this is stuff I didn't even know when I got my system, and it's worth knowing before you start monkeying around with this console:

1. NEVER use a 3rd party charger on your Nintendo Switch dock. The Switch dock uses a very different protocol than standard USB Type-C devices, this affects how it charges devices and the power draw it requests from the charger. A recent patch to the Nintendo Switch firmware apparently caused a number of users to brick their systems when they attempted to use 3rd USB Type-C chargers on their docks with the Switch plugged in.

2. Don't use any 3rd party Nintendo Switch 'docks'. The only one that's known to be safe is the one where you pull the guts out of your existing Nintendo Switch dock and put it into the custom made chassis. While reports of issues with 3rd party dock substitutes are minimal, the truth is the manufacturers aren't even entirely sure on how to properly use the protocol that Nintendo's using.

Note: Any standard USB Type-C charger is safe to use on the Switch itself and the Pro Controller, just don't run it through the dock.

3. Nintendo charges the same for digital as they do for physical copies. This has to do to keeping parity with retail locations so that retailers are incentivized to carry their games in-store. While Nintendo will not drop the price of their games for Switch, 3rd party sellers on the eShop can mark their games down for sale. Just something to be aware of and keep an eye out for.

4. The Switch's Wifi connectivity is not optimized. Even if you're using a high-end dual-band router, it'll still be noticeably slower than any other device on your network. There's a couple minor tweaks you can apply to the settings to squeeze a few more MBits out of the connection, but it is what it is. There is, however, reports that the LAN adapter works a ton better; but does require the dock to make use of.

5. Digital copies of games require a kind of online DRM in order to play; so if you don't have Wifi access, the games will not be allowed to run. This is a non-issue maybe 95% of the time, but if for some reason you can't connect to any form of Wifi, you may find yourself unable to play your digital games. This is irrespective of whether or not you are running the game already, or starting it from scratch; so if you put the console into standby on a digital game, come back a couple hours later and you don't have Wifi, the game will crash out and go back to the Home screen.

6. Nintendo's online service isn't very good. The quality of how it works is really dependent on the game being played, and what options IT supports. Nintendo doesn't have a voice chat function built into the Switch (Except for Fortnite), and Nintendo has this really goofy phone app that they thought it'd be a good idea to use to operate independent of the system itself in order to add a friends list and voice chat functionality.

Rumors have circulated that Microsoft is supposedly coming in to revamp Nintendo's online service, and work out some kind of deal to bring XBox Live to Switch. So who knows at this point.
you sure do love writing essays about video games. ooc when was the last time you shaved, went outside or touched a breast that wasn't yours?

JustinCase
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
9 - 02-12-2019, 15:22
Are they going to release a new/refreshed Switch anytime soon?

coombz
VeteranXX
Old
10 - 02-12-2019, 15:29
nothing on the horizon as yet

CERVICAL-KREMS
VeteranXV
Old
11 - 02-12-2019, 15:34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztir View Post
would call you a ****ing dumbass if i didn't agree 100%

so there

samUwell
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
12 - 02-12-2019, 15:58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
As far as I know, you have to take a picture of yourself with your mouth wide open otherwise it doesn't work correctly.

havax
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
13 - 02-12-2019, 16:06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztir View Post
i'm going to disagree. it was way too big and widespread, same ole monsters to fight, just too repetitive for me. i couldn't play it through.

mario odyssey however, that's a great ****ing game

and that's the only two things i've played on switch, thinking about selling it since i bought my ps4.

Mojo616
VeteranXX
Old
14 - 02-12-2019, 16:24
agree that BotW is overrated and that super mario odyssey is insanely good

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
15 - 02-12-2019, 17:47
i think all switch games can be emulated now

Got Haggis?
VeteranXX
Old
16 - 02-12-2019, 18:39
diablo 3 is actually great on it

bowl of blood
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
17 - 02-12-2019, 18:44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo616 View Post
agree that BotW is overrated and that super mario odyssey is insanely good
glad the world is catching up

new super mario deluxe and dk tropical freeze are great sidescrollers if you like those

hyrule warriors / fire emblem warriors are good (don't get both, they're the same game)

tbh I mostly use it for old-school shmups and neo geo games, there are dozens on there (dragon blaze baby)

definitely get a big micro sd if you're going to buy more than one game, I couldn't even fit zelda and doom on the built in one

[MD5]Hash
VeteranXV
Old
18 - 02-14-2019, 00:20
Nintendo Direct was today, lot of upcoming titles, few notables:

1. Tetris99 is a title that's available right now, it's free, you play Tetris in a global tournament style against 98 other players, rack up combos and big clears to dump **** on the opposing players. It does require that have the online service.

2. Mario Maker 2 is coming down the pipes. I never messed around with the other one, but they've added in some of the newer Mario 3D content to the editor.

3. Dragon Quest Builders 2 coming soon. Take Minecraft, then make an actual game around it. This game scares me, it's the kind of game you could literally spend hundreds of hours on.

4. HellBlade: Senua's Sacrifice is coming out for the Switch, and even though I know nothing about the game, the game likes visually stunning for running on the Switch.

5. Final Fantasy IX came out today for Switch, Final Fantasy VII will be coming out ... This year, sometime.

6. Link's Awakening remake coming out this year. The art style reminds me of that Rudolph animation they play every year during the holidays, with the little elf that wanted to be a dentist.

bowl of blood
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
19 - 02-14-2019, 00:22
those are called rankin bass christmas specials for future reference

Got Haggis?
VeteranXX
Old
20 - 02-14-2019, 07:26
HellBlade: Senua's Sacrifice is amazing - be sure to play with headphones if you can - the audio is incredible

Page 1 of 2

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Nintendo Switch

Social Website Bullshit