[Zen] 1 Piece Stratocaster build

SuperTrap

Contributor
Veteran XX
I love watching skilled people work and create. I watch quite a few of these. This one happens to be relevant to my interests. Most are not. I still enjoy the shit out of them

Last edited:
I can't count them. Too many. For instance.. next weekend we are going camping and so far the count is 45 people coming.

LOL it's good to see another luthier who uses sanding disks to sand out of convenience than being fiscally responsible and just getting sandpaper sheets hehe. Although normally on the neck I use a belt from the belt sander separated so I can seesaw it back and forth to get an even curve

I like working on guitars. I have done it all.. well not fret replacement yet but everything else. I can even cut a perfect nut now from a blank but I don't have the patience or the skill to build one.

But why?

I was thinking it was just a one piece body.
Strats need bolt on necks for that POP/SNAP.

My latest build is wearing on me because all of the micro sanding of the carve... Sanding is the bane of my existence lol

dragon.jpg

But why?

I was thinking it was just a one piece body.
Strats need bolt on necks for that POP/SNAP.

The pop snap has more to do with the straightness of the headstock with minimal break angle. Strats were created by an engineer who didn't even play guitar who wanted easily manufactured and replaceable parts. (leo fender)

This is no different than a neck thru guitar except there is no gluing of the flanking wings. The same pitfalls exist with both. If everything isn't perfectly measured and setup u have to unglue everything and fix it.

Yes. Yes I would like to know more

I learned a new trick I am gonna try. Take a spinbrush toothbrush and cut all the bristles off and mount a tiny cut out sandpaper disk and I can lightly sand a lot of the nooks and crannys on it without having to do it all by hand. This will save me a bunch of time.

I learned a new trick I am gonna try. Take a spinbrush toothbrush and cut all the bristles off and mount a tiny cut out sandpaper disk and I can lightly sand a lot of the nooks and crannys on it without having to do it all by hand. This will save me a bunch of time.

Don't take me poking you the wrong way.. I get the detailed sanding challenges. ;)

I am fascinated by that project itself. How did you do that? Your creation or were you able to find something that already existed and you have modified?
How do you plan to finish it? Are any of the features in the way of your right hand? How are planning on mounting the bridge as it appears to not be level at the moment?

I am not trolling you..I think it looks cool as fuck

I don't remember if it was a telecaster or a Stratocaster....
also - that is pretty awesome

Also - get a small sandblaster, we use them all the time to clean up shit like that on large castings, a low power home job would probably do a decent job. One place I worked had a small benchtop one about a foot square that they never used, looking back I wish I had stolen it now, would have been really handy for things like this. You can make a simple one with an air gun and a soda bottle filled with whatever medium you want to spray. Just drill a cross hole in the nozzle, bang the nozzle through the cap and invert it, venturi does the rest. Or you can probably buy a cheap portable one from the hardware for $50

Last edited:
Don't take me poking you the wrong way.. I get the detailed sanding challenges. ;)

I am fascinated by that project itself. How did you do that? Your creation or were you able to find something that already existed and you have modified?
How do you plan to finish it? Are any of the features in the way of your right hand? How are planning on mounting the bridge as it appears to not be level at the moment?

I am not trolling you..I think it looks cool as fuck

I didn't take any of it the wrong way. I programmed the image into 3d (rhino) then pulled into Aspire and lined it up on the body. Everything is carved with my CNC and the post holes are cut to the exact depth so the tailpiece and saddle will sit perfectly level and intonate fine. Unless the carve bugs your right forearm nothing should feel different but I programmed the whole thing to go with the curve of the carvetop so it gets thinner as it moves to the edge of the guitar. (basically the whole top started as a .6" thick maple top and after the dragon was cut it broke thru to the mahoghany on the outsides of the carve. The center of the top is still roughly .6" thick.

I plan on keeping the maple for the most part unstained but want to lay the maple stain a bit thicker in all of the crevices to create darker more defined lines on everything then I will spray a nitrocellulose finish over everything. All cavities are already cut and you can see the holes for pots and switches are there also. Notice the neck pocket is oversized as I plan to open a slot and glue the neck joint together.

Last edited:
I don't remember if it was a telecaster or a Stratocaster....
also - that is pretty awesome

Also - get a small sandblaster, we use them all the time to clean up shit like that on large castings, a low power home job would probably do a decent job. One place I worked had a small benchtop one about a foot square that they never used, looking back I wish I had stolen it now, would have been really handy for things like this. You can make a simple one with an air gun and a soda bottle filled with whatever medium you want to spray. Just drill a cross hole in the nozzle, bang the nozzle through the cap and invert it, venturi does the rest. Or you can probably buy a cheap portable one from the hardware for $50

If you are talkin about my completed builds over the last 2 years its one of these.

swstratcollage.jpg

tele.jpg

mockingbird1.jpg

Back