[ITT] We spend the next few hours recovering my laptop.

You know what, I kind of like this operating system. Can it run games? Or do I then need some sort of Windows emu shit that is just way too much work so I should stick with Windows?

Thanks thanks thanks to those who suggested this method. Much easier than doing some deep recovery, although I am kind of surprised to see shit intact. I guess the OS/whatever failed and just stopped being able to display my files, versus the files actually going.

So what's the news on Ubuntu? 90% of what I do is internet and games, and I see this can probably handle internet, but if it can't handle games then ehhhh.

Wouldn't surprise me if you picked up that shitty little virus I mentioned earlier, although that didn't brick the system it was on.

Wouldn't surprise me if you picked up that shitty little virus I mentioned earlier, although that didn't brick the system it was on.

Yeah, mine bricked. :/

To be fair it wasn't exactly the healthiest system in the world but I've never actually owned a computer before that just flat out got bricked to the point that the built-in sys recovery didn't even function. So something else happened.

10.8GB of 80.6GB evacuated and I'm just praying nothing goes wrong or fucks up in the next 50 minutes

this is like computer Dunkirk

so as far as formatting goes afterwards, what should I do for that? same old method with some windows bootable?

or can I legit run Ubuntu after this and still use Steam/associated games? If I can I might as well just stick with installing this OS, it seems nice and clean and fast.

rgr, guess I'll do that then.

when Ubuntu can run games and stuff let me know, this OS seems downright decent

When I worked at a computer repair shop we'd either take the hard drive out and hook it up to another computer (SATA/IDE to USB) or use an Ubuntu Live CD.

Both work 99% of the time, even if the hard drive failed so bad that some of the files were unrecoverable, you could still get most of them.

If Ubuntu gives you any errors just tell it to skip, and instead of just giving up (like Windows) it'll just skip over the 1 corrupted file and keep going. Love Ubuntu. :cheers:

Yeah I'm actually really impressed by this OS as a whole, and the ease with which it's pulling all my files off a system that was more or less bricked

While we're here, anybody know how to kind-of-recover a USB stick?

I've got a 5GB one which is the only one I have suitable (large enough) for making my bootable Vista installation but it's obviously fucked

the OS won't even find it, and when I remove it (har har) it gives me the option to format it, but when I sneakily put it back in, wait, and then say, "Yes, format" it doesn't really do anything.

I just want to cleanse this shit and make use of it.

Or is it shot and I have to buy another?

ed- I'm trying something called TestDisk

Last edited:
You're probably SOL with the thumb drive. I don't know of any software to fix them apart from the standard drive utilities.

You could try running a CHKDSK on it I guess. :shrug:

You're probably SOL with the thumb drive. I don't know of any software to fix them apart from the standard drive utilities.

You could try running a CHKDSK on it I guess. :shrug:

I tried TestDisk which apparently helps repair this kind of thing but the program sucks, is written in like DOS and just hangs on "Please Wait" without ever loading the actual program

I'll try CHKDSK I guess.

ed- Yeah it just hangs, so I guess it's shot. I'll have to go buy another one. They're cheap enough anyway.

Back