Californians might get a chance to vote on legalizing marijuana akin to alcohol.

Dumpy Dooby

Veteran X
It's just in the proposal stage right now, but with less than 700k more signatures (by Sept 5) they can get it put on the ballot in CA and the people would be able to vote on whether or not normal citizens could buy Marijuana from anyone with a license (I think the wording puts it in the same licensing category as alcohol). CA would tax the substance and regulate how it's sold in the same way alcohol and tobacco is currently. The proposal would also reclass weed in the same category as alcohol and tobacco instead of crack and heroine which is where it is now.

I think this is great. It's been 12 years since they legalized medical use of pot, and now they might get to vote on whether or not to make it fully legal. I don't really know how it would work in practice since it is federally illegal and even the state-run medical marijuana facilities are very secret so they don't get raided by feds (which does happen sometimes).

However, passing the law could pave the way for changing the federal laws and making it a state issue. That would be a magnificent step forward.

Here's the link to the short text, which also has a link to the full text.

California Secretary of State - Elections & Voter Information - Initiative Update

Also, I think this would be an amazing source of tax revenue for California, considering the problems we have with the budget right now.

They can pass whatever laws they want but in the eyes of DEA/Federal Government its illegal and they can arrest you and send you to jail.

right or wrong federal laws trump state laws

BTW I agree with what they are trying to accomplish

They can pass whatever laws they want but in the eyes of DEA/Federal Government its illegal and they can arrest you and send you to jail.

right or wrong federal laws trump state laws

BTW I agree with what they are trying to accomplish

Not sure, will probably pull out the tenth:

* Tenth Amendment – Powers of states and people.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people

But like I said, I'm not sure. Maybe all this will do is prevent state police from arresting you. I'm sure the FBI will have its eyes on anyone growing in CA and trying to move their product across state lines.

Back