Vengeance Vengeance

Pachacutec said:
well, thats freedom of speech for you. especially when i spent a lot of time trying to help and get people into t:v and they pull the rug out from under their own game...

I agree, and the situation sucks - which is why I started off by saying I agree with you/your post.

pocketgamer said:
We write up a proposal of how we are going to screw them, and what we want it Tribes brand, T2 Source .. .. and whatever else you guys can think of.

T2 Source....

Ya know, I think I actually WOULD be completely satisfied with T2:Classic:Source. I've pubbed T2:Classic a bit lately, and the gameplay is still all kinds of fun. Witha beefier engine and the same gameplay, I could see myself wasting another year on it.

sorry, we should bag on a company for not pouring more resources in a game no one wants to play?

i'd like to see some of you apply these principles you demand from your video game producers to you business.

dr_boom said:
I want:

T1/T2C physics, enhanced T2 command screen, T2 inventory system and

every gametype, every weapon, every vehicle, every pack, and every deployable from all the tribes games.

All wrapped in a beautiful looking engine that can:

Replicate the above mentioned physics

Support large team battles

Allow server admins to turn on or off any weapon, any vehicle, any pack, and any deployable. (Let the community decide what works for comp or pub...the community is too fragmented to unite on this anyway...and you'll turn less away from the sales counter)

Attract a healthy modding community

Man, the Tribes series has had much of its pioneering elements borrowed from to produce many successful games. It needs to be re-released on gamers in its entirety. Throw in everything including the toilet and market it that way. Tell em the mother of all team online fps has returned and she's gonna let you customize her to your liking.

You want T1 style only play?......you can have it

You want T2 style with vehicles?....you can have that too

You want shocklance only CnH with just heavies?....yep even that
:signed:

Vir said:
The plan is for Dread to buy the rights to the series then install slut and myself as co-producers of the next game of course. You don't think the discontinuation of support for T:V was sheer coincidence do you?

We have some great ideas for Tribes 3 :)

Marweas said:
With the recent news that VUG has discontinued work on the Vengeance patch and will not release it, the TRIBES community is left holding the bag. We have another lackluster Tribes game that hints at the promise of TRIBES, yet fails to deliver either audience or satisfaction.

Before we get to what to do next, let’s lay out some baseline facts. VUG owns the TRIBES IP outright. It will have no plans for current support, let alone further TRIBES products. The corporate plan will be to price protect the product all the way down to the bargain bin, make whatever few dollars they can off direct downloads. The remaining income from the TRIBES brand until the end of the life cycle plus any future licensing potential will be enough for them to protect their interest in it.

TribalWar will have nothing further to do with TRIBES except as a fan site helping them squeeze the last few nickels out of the franchise. No petitions, no stunts, and no pleas to gaming press are going to change any of these facts.

So how do we move on?

Well, the obvious reaction, the primal TW response is revenge. We do have the power to utterly nullify the TRIBES brand value, even turn it into a liability for VUG. We can cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars, and without breaking any laws. We can make sure no game with that name sells at retail for the next 5 years or so, probably much longer. We can cause bigwigs heartache and middle managers to squirm.

But first we must consider the consequences. The actions such as the ones I would suggest will have one of two results. Either VUG will shut the game down completely, happy to wash their hands of this disaster completely with the cash from WoW and HL2. Else, VUG will bother to ask what the hell we want before shutting the game down completely, happy to wash their hands of this disaster completely with the cash from WoW and HL2. And I mean right down to the master servers.

Are we ready for that? I don’t think so. But I'd hear what you think.

Do you consider TRIBES so dead that you would want to ruin it to get a last shot at VUG??? And if by some chance VUG did give us their attention instead, what is it we want???
Wow.

Just . . . wow.

This is just . . . wow.

The former Brand Manager for the Tribes franchise comes onto Tribalwar and actively plots to destroy the Tribes brand.

My questions are twofold.

1) for the brilliant coders out there who have time for this: how hard can it be to write a "master server", either in script within tribes (using direct IP connections) or as an external application? At the most basic level, I have to imagine that a directIP-based master-server-slash-matchmaking-server would not be terribly difficult to do in python with Twisted, but this assumes that we have at least a rudimentary understanding of the protocols involved.
This kind of thing should NEVER be attempted without a backup plan.

2) Since we know what we want -- EVERYTHING (IP, code, etc) -- we should ask Marweas: what do you think VUG would be willing to part with, and under how much duress? Would they be open to a kind of "we'll turn it over to you if we get 80% of all revenues from any commercial ventures from this IP" arrangement?

Got Haggis? said:
i want tribes 3, or the IP transfered to GG.
dingdingdingding!

I love Tribalwar as a forum. But THAT is exactly what I want, and what I think we all want. Give it back to the ex-Dynamix guys.

mr_luc said:
Wow.

Just . . . wow.

This is just . . . wow.

The former Brand Manager for the Tribes franchise comes onto Tribalwar and actively plots to destroy the Tribes brand.

How much more "Destroying" do you need after VUG shot it in the head, dragged its corpse 3000 miles coast to coast through rugged terrain and then lit it on fire with gasoline?

Not even the miracle of modern science is saving this one with VUG in control.

Last edited:
Ya know, the more I think about it, the more I think that Tribes is dead. As a community, our best bet is to look to other games that have some core aspects of Tribes incorporated.

Games are not getting any cheaper to make. To remain competitive, upcoming games will require an ungodly art asset budget. Some games will be coming out where the original 3d model (before being reduced via clever texturing) will have over a million polygons. Just creating something that complex will take immense resources; animating it is another story entirely.

We're entering the Corporate Age of video gaming. Just take a look around. Corporate behemoths are swallowing small developement studios like they're appetizers at a super bowl party, and other developement houses are closing because they can't compete. Because of the corporate involvement and the immense resources involved in creating these games, executives are going to be greenlighting "the sure thing" and nothing else. To draw a comparison to the movie industry, the gaming industry is producing summer blockbuster after summer blockbuster. There's no room for the independent film, because corporations want to turn a profit on EVERY game and there's no cheap way of producing high quality art assets for low budget games.

I hate to break it to you guys, but Tribes is an "independent film." Critically acclaimed, but misunderstood by the masses. At this point, it could only be justified as being worth creating as a niche game, or art for art's sake. Tribes games are outstanding, but they are too complex to be appreciated by Joe Sixpack.

As the Tribes community, I think we have two options.

1) We can look for a way for a Tribes game to be produced cheaply so that it could turn a profit more easily. This might require a rethinking of what Tribes entails, like a 2d sidescroller for the GBA that could turn a tidy profit. The main benefit of this is that it would help rebuild the brand to the point where corporate assholes would see another attempt at a AAA Tribes title as being economically viable.

2) We can try to find the things that we like about Tribes in other games like Legends or BF2. The main benefit of this is that we, as gamers, would be entertained.

Unfortunately, I don't see any other options. Tribes was never a huge hit, and T:V was a horrible commercial flop. With the blockbuster success of a few games last Christmas, we're going to be entering a phase of corporations trying to recapture the magic of past successes. With these two factors combined, I seriously doubt that Tribes will have another chance. It sucks, but it's reality.

I commend the thought and effort put into this thread, but the fact is that the patch wasn't going to save T:V anyway. This is really about the failure of tribes as a whole to be successful outside of this small community. Unfortunately, those failures have grave consequences in this new "profit>everything" corporate gaming industry.

Ordos said:
How much more "Destroying" do you need after VUG shot it in the head, dragged its corpse 3000 miles coast to coast through rugged terrain and then lit it on fire with gasoline

i know folks like to think the 'patch' was the insult.

but the irony is that MARWEAS is considerably responsible for the fuckin mess we're in yet folks still kiss his ass... and here he is talking about further destroying the fuckin brand.

MAYBE IF HE DID HIS JOB INSTEAD OF WHORING TRIBALWAR AND FLAMING FANS... he'd still have his job and maybe have figured out that the design was flawed. 43,000 copies. the fuckin box art aint the fuckin problem here, folks.

but yes... lets go on flaming "VUG" without holding marweas or thrax responsible in ANY way...

... when i read these thread i feel like im on the special ed bus...

Last edited:
Skeletor666 said:
I am going to go into all the stores that is sellng T:V and put a bag of dog poop in the box

Roll up in your tank with FatMofo lookin' like that 'Hey Boss, Hey Boss' dog from looney tunes and drop a flaming bag of shit on 'em. Fuck ya!

TseTse said:
MAYBE IF HE DID HIS JOB INSTEAD OF WHORING TRIBALWAR AND FLAMING FANS... he'd still have his job and maybe have figured out that the design was flawed. 43,000 copies. the fuckin box art aint the fuckin problem here, folks.

but yes... lets go on flaming "VUG" without holding marweas or thrax responsible in ANY way...

... when i read these thread i feel like im on the special ed bus...

Actually Alex did his job quite well while he was in contract with VUG. I don't believe we were told the entire story of why he was let go ... maybe it was him pushing "true tribes" to VUG and them saying, "Hey ... Go fuck yourself."

Thrax's design was a center piece yes, but how much was it influenced by VUG wanting a "mass appeal" Tribes game?

PS. Playing Devil's Advocate.

Back