Vengeance Vengeance

Vir said:
The sooner this franchise dies permanently, the sooner it can get out of vug's hands.
No. Because if it 'dies permanently' then there won't be anything left to resurrect.
Osiris has it right:
if "revenge" on VUG means that there will never be a new tribes game fuck that
I'd rather live with a damaged tribes that still has some community than lose it altogether.

Besides, for Tribes to truly die you'd have to get all the T1 vets to stop playing T1.
Good luck. :lol:

I think the Weasel is onto something. All the bickering and arguing isn't getting us anywhere. We need specific demands and an actual PLAN for the future, not just reactionary 'fuck VUG' mentality.

The best thing we can do for the franchise is keep playing it. Whether that means playing T1, T2, T:V or even T:AA. The longer Tribes lasts the more chance there is of someone taking notice and trying to tap into that success. How many other 1999 games are still being played by this many people?
How many other games from that long ago still get community updates such as LastChance 1.30?

Those are the kinds of things that make people/businesses interested. Something with longevity and popularity combined. Anyone here who truly wants to kill off the tribes franchise is not worth of even member status.

Killing the game will NOT help us get a new installment!

Hell even playing Legends helps, because it's clear that Legends is part of the tribes genre. SS is good too for the same reason. The more attention SS2845 gets, the more attention will be given to the tribes/ss franchise as a whole.

Zustiur.

T:V is a UT2K4 mod that should be shut down, not even on the gamespy charts anymore. It was a play toy for Tracks and his ego.

Fans are screaming for GG to make T3.

What is so complicated about this?

If done correctly with fan input, people will play it and VUG will make money.

Otherwise, some other gaming company will eventually make a rip off of T2 and VUG will get nothing.

Vir said:
The plan is for Dread to buy the rights to the series then install slut and myself as co-producers of the next game of course. You don't think the discontinuation of support for T:V was sheer coincidence do you?

LOL, is 5150 trying to suggest that they had the plug pulled on support for T:V? That's utter bullshit, and you should be ashamed of yourself for even saying that.

How much would the tribes IP actually cost?

Since vug has deemed tribes to be an utter failure they may sell it to wash their hands of it and recoup at least some of their losses.

are we talking 10's of thousands?
Hundreds of thousands??
Higher?

Anyone have any idea?

Either way I'm down with what alex has to offer. I think its really a disgrace what has been done to tribes and will do whatever I can to get the IP out of VUG's hands and into someone's who will respect it.

NoFiX said:
What was it, again, that Alex had to offer?

He hasn't said yet. He's trying to determine how far people are actually willing to go, and what our demands would be specificly, etc..

Topic has kinda wandered off though..
I agree with someone who posted earlier that we really need seperate threads to explore each issue..

He did mention this back on page 4 as a possible option.

Marweas said:
LOL, no, writing VUG will do nothing.

VUG always listens attentively to their customers: Best Buy, Walmart, EB, Gamestop. And believe me that one thousand well-coordinated emails to the right people in one week will result in all remaining copies of TV being sent back to VUG for a refund. Take the money they have to pay back retailers against the full-price buy-in, add the opportunity cost of the $20 those copies were supposed to sell for, and you have a small dent in VUG's 2005 annual report. And if it's big enough to have to mention on the annual report, well...

But this is an action that only works well-organized, so don't try this at home.

I thought it was pretty clear:

He said that you should protest the remaining copies of T:V much like old Christian fundamentalists protests Eminem albums.

A simple letter writing campaign, if organized, could persuade retailers to stop selling the Tribes franchise, therefore reducing its value to 0 instead of something allowed to bleed dry.

Additionally, a smear campaign across Internet gaming sites, and potentially a class-action lawsuit could acerbate this process.

The thought behind this, from where I am sitting, is to reduce the value of the Tribes franchise from a current figure of 6 or 7 digits (over the next X number of years of letting it slowly die) to basically nothing, at which point, the IP rights could be acquired for a reasonable price.

There you go.

Miracle said:
Nobody can blame T:V for being T:V . None of the games . . . Starsiege, T1, T2, etc . . . could have become what they did without developer support.

T:V died not from what it was out the box but from being an unsupported game. To me this vindicates IG and Thrax/Marweas.

It was a fuckup from the beginning.

From start to finish Vengeance was a steaming shitheap. Vengeance deserved to fail in every aspect as it did.

To address the thread question:
I am not willing to do much of anything, because really, what does reducing the game value to zero do? Are you hoping that GG will develop the game? With what money? Can anyone really trust GG to make a good Tribes title? The first time around, it was a fluke. The second time around it was a bust. Third time was a disaster.

So what I'm saying is: why do people thing GG can make a fun Tribes game? It was an accident the first fucking time.

Zeonism said:
Legends...

hi guys. hate to jump into this fun-filled drama thread, but I need to get this out of the way:

Legends is not a replacement for Tribes. It never will be. If that's what you're looking for, you're just going to be disappointed. Besides, we're so far from a real release you're going to be even more frustrated.

Please don't bring us into this disaster waiting to happen again. Thank you.

Back