Thrax: Where's the masses?

Pachacutec said:
t:v is tribes, sorry to disappoint.
the only thing non-tribes about it is the oob, its too small and closed in.
get over yourselves.

For every 1 thing that makes it Tribes, there are another 5 things that make it not Tribes.

I have one thing to say.

Compmod .5 is a fucking blast. It plays more like T1 than T2, imho. I wish all TV servers would switch to it, because it's damn annoying when there are 3 full servers at 3am in the morning playing retail and none playing compmod. :disgust:

NetAtNite said:
Hmmm...you used the word 'Dufus'. You might be a little gay. And if you were gay, does that mean you cannot be 'a man'? And why have you been alone for the past 15 years? Might you be a self-hating gay? Or are you just an uggo? I say up with gays. Aesop, you can visit my towns bath-house whenever you want!!!!

Net, I look forward to reading your posts. You bring intelligence and comedy into the mix.

(Aesop, wondering if saying dufus is gay, suddenly remembers the name of Nets cat. Mittens.)

TV is definitely tribes, but its not a well balanced tribes. The sheild pack, buckler, disc jumps, and pod need work.

Its kinda like when my wife asks me if i want anything from the store and i say "ya some chips" and she brings home some crazy flavor that i dont like. Thats what they did with TV...its still tribes, just not a good enough one to make you hungry enough to play it very often.

|CO|Kapeket!! said:
PJ, you are a stupid shit. You try make yourself sound link Nostradamus with bad grammar.

I just had to call this out. :D

Before you try to slam someone about bad grammer you might want to make sure your own is not going to make you look silly. :)

:grammar:

Mr_Unlucky said:
I have one thing to say.

Compmod .5 is a fucking blast. It plays more like T1 than T2, imho. I wish all TV servers would switch to it, because it's damn annoying when there are 3 full servers at 3am in the morning playing retail and none playing compmod. :disgust:

Might be becuase CompMod isn't that fun as you think for those players.

*sigh*

T:V IS a tribes game, and thats half the problem:

Okay everyone keeps saying what a "total blast" this game is.

Ever consider, in all this "you arent giving it a chance" dialogue, that the problems with the game outweigh the fun experience?

I WANTED this game to rock, I WANTED it to be a fun experience and be the great game it should have been. But when you start tallying the frustrations, and Im not going to list them here cuz its been repeated ad nauseum, it's just not a good enough game to hold my interest... sorry :shrug: ESPECIALLY when played over the net.

I got to play the demo in a LAN setting at DragonCon this summer, and that was a TOTAL blast (despite the constant hangups and crashes and flaky weapon handling). I think T:V may be a great LAN game, where net performance might not be crippled by the netcode. I think the game has a few things going for it, but it seems, over and over again, that IG and VUG were out to reinvent the wheel and came out with square wheels. And when you add the timing of the game's release, and lack of dev/publisher support... well honestly, how can you DEMAND the rest of us play this buggy, unbalanced game thats a chore to play?

Since Im not a programmer (and I doubt a complete revamp of the game from the ground up is even possible), I only see two choices:

Suffer through playing a game that only delivers a small portion of the fun I remembered from playing T2 (or T1)

or

Not play, move on, and lament that the Tribes franchise took a HUGE stumble it may never recover from.

For the most part, I chose the latter (as evidenced by my general lack of posts here, and the VUG forums). I post on occasion, but since I'll only get flamed by the "you are too stupid/lame/bad at tribes/etc to enjoy the game" crowd, I only do it infrequently.

And PJ, I'll be blunt - I personally think yer an ass, but I acknowledge you DID forsee much of the comedy of errors that T:V was (as did I, but not being one of the "tribes elite" you know what MY opinion would have been worth :D). And I know from experience that when you warn people of an impending disaster and they ignore you or call you a fool, and then the disaster happens, the desire to rub thier noses in it is WAY too tempting :D Honestly the only CONSTRUCTIVE thing I can offer now is discussing what the NEXT iteration of Tribes should be like, even if there's only a snowballs chance in hell of there BEING another Tribes game.

/soapbox

Thermoptic said:
And T:V is a gem in a ball of shit. Too bad that VUG is not willing to wash it. And even worse is that the smell of shit seems to make everyone develop a special appetite for biting at each others throat.

So basically, fuck off. This is what you got after years of waiting. Either play it or ride in the fucking sunset. Spare us the bitching.

Why? Did you spare it to me? I'm just like you, except the small difference: you don't like me, while I don't like you.

So, basically, fuck off.

]| ZeR0 |[ said:
PJ, please enlighten us all on how what you do and say here is any better than these so called whiny, bitchy t1 vets? grow up, we get the fucking point already.

No, you didn't. Wait, you'll see.

Been a long time since I've posted on TW, but I had to voice my opinion. T:V is a steaming pile.

I'm a T1, T2, and regrettably T:V player. T:V lacks the true epicness of what was Tribes. It doesn't have the same feel as any of the previous titles. About the only good thing I can say I like about T:V is the fact they made it more a FPS again rather then a scout ramming fest.

This game doesn't have the depth of ANY of the Tribes series, and as far as I can tell was just a money grab by VUG. They took any and all skill out of the game.

The nade, and mortar launchers are pure spam with ridiculous rates of fire and even more pathetically large splash damage/radius. Not to mention when you throw on the speed pack it gets just out of control.

Mortar was a weapon that took a lot of learning and skill in T1, and in T2 and all they did was take the lob out of it makes it a mundane point and click weapon.

This very well may be the last VUG title I ever purchase due to the fact this was simply fabricated for a quick buck. Don't get me wrong I know businesses are out to make money, but with that there should be simple business etiquette such as providing a QUALITY service/product for the end user. Namely give me some support.

Blah Blah Blah. I've poured just as much time into Tribes as almost anyone, and I still play T:V in hopes that either VUG will finally give us some support, or the outstanding community will somehow ressurect the gameplay.

See ya out there.

Aesop-The evil one said:
You must be from Babylon. You do enough of it. It's not the game that is a skidmark on the Tribes franchise, it is you.

Again, when someone slams the game, you have to slam the person.

We didn't like T:V before beta (and no one listened.)

We didn't like it during beta (and still no one listened.)

We don't like it now (and those responsible have apparently fled for the hills.)

And we're NEVER going to like it unless it is redone completely! (Which it won't be.)

Myself and others reserve the right to slam T:V for the massive, hideous failure that is was.

Last edited:
[AKA]PanamaJack said:
No it's not impossible to chase. Actually with the energy pack it is very easy to chase if you use the booster option. It does become difficult if you have a master at the grapple flying around with the flag and a repair pack. A master grappler is almost impossible to kill outside unless you get lucky with a mortar or have a couple of damned good snipers. He uses the grapple to fly all over the map and any damage he takes is healed by the repair pack. On a map like Raindance it can be incredably hard to kill a flag carrier like that. It is far worse than letting a flag carrier get inside a vehicle and you can't do that.

There are quite a few gameplay imbalances that should have been caught in testing.

i'll admit you provide some valid arguements. but alot of the same could have been said for t1 and t2. the fact of the matter is that people cared enough to do something about it. I guess you're right in the end though, they pissed off tribes fans with this installment, and without a community there's no one around that cares enough to improve said imbalances and problems in the game. The top seated teams in the ladders are even leaving... that does say alot. I'm not saying T:V sucks or by any means phenomenal. It's just really a fun game, and I'm just glad to see people, albeit few in comparison to other games, actually playing.

And no, this isn't Thrax's smurf account. Long time t1 base/shifter head. I've read tribalwar for a long time, but never really got into t2 competitively. I decided to finally join with T:V coming out, in the hopes that competition n the community would once again thrive. I was wrong.

im wondering...
Lets imagine that the devs suddenly gave up their lives in order to satisfy the tribes community to the fullest. Would it even be possible to salvage T:V and turn it into that game, or would they need a new engine?

For as long as this engine is capable of doing what the tribes community wants, then there will always be a possibillity that someone, somewhere will do this.
Always be hope =)

NeoLotus said:
im wondering...
Lets imagine that the devs suddenly gave up their lives in order to satisfy the tribes community to the fullest. Would it even be possible to salvage T:V and turn it into that game, or would they need a new engine?

Nope, T:V is a complete and total lost cause. The only way to salvage the Tribes Franchise would be to announce they are making a new Tribes game that is set years after T2 with large maps, epic battles, the great things that T2 had plus even more new things to look forward to. If they stuck with the Unreal Engine they would have to make arrangements with Epic for the Unreal 3 engine as the U2 engine just won't cut it. The alternative is to use the new Torque (TSE) Engine as the base for a new game as it can handle the large spaces that made T2 the epic game it was.

Right now T:V is roadkill and just waiting for a road crew to come along and scrape it up and toss it into the trash.

Back