[T2] Vengeance mod

Strange. I can join other servers (KillerONE's) but not yours (joinGame("24.189.18.129:28000");)

That approach didnt UE at least. (But then I didnt attempt to add it to my favorites either).

I'm guessing your on the other side of the country and my cable modem doesn't like you :p

Oh yeah and we need a T2 T:V hud setup, any takers? :roller:

Last edited:
For anyone who has questions about the grappler (Jim especially): I'm quite sure that the T:V grappler only allows pendulum movement, i.e. you can't gain (in fact, you'll eventually lose) speed by swinging if you don't jet or do anything else to alter your movement.

ZOD, don't wait for a new grappler for a while. I can't start actual work on it until Monday, and I don't know how long it will take. Somehow I'm convinced that the only reason the m*v^2/r thing doesn't work that the values are not on the right scale. I'm going to experiment with finding the right multipliers for a day or two for sure. If I can't find them, I'll do a rough estimate similar to the beta 4 hook, but I'm not going to be very happy with that and might continue experimenting.

In the mean time, choose the hook that you think is best and use that. Beta 4 should be bug free but pretty far away from T2, the last release is closer but buggy. You make the choice :)

As for the balancing, the only thing I can think of now is to reduce energy recharge rate on the light armor (if that hasn't been done yet), because last time I checked (yeah, it was about 5 days ago) I could stay in the air INDEFINATELY with the help of an e-pack, jetting and the OOB grid.

Beta 4 hook with power set at 3 seems good to me. Amadeus, if they only allow the hook reel to 'lift' against gravity it will launch. The Beta 4 hook will launch but doesnt 'winch'.

I suppose it's possible that the T:V hook wont winch. Odd that the game will allow the use of personal nukes and jets but the hook wouldnt winch. :) But hey.

ZOD said:
Just got done messin around in T2 Ven mod Four Way CnH with bots. Mmmm 4 way CnH :)

Man I'm confused. Isnt that a UT gametype? (I like the idea)

I am dazed right now however. A TWL forum admin named after a cut of meat has been deleting my threads due to their seditious nature. Several letting people know that private space flight (Burt Rutan) is going to be attempted this month in the Mojave and the death of the legend Ray Charles.

I have been warned not to 'press my luck' with this sort of problem causing thread. :(

Back OT so Colosus (which is not a cut of meat) doesnt warn me for not pressing my luck. :)

I would love to see the new stuff and do a pick up to test it.

Man I'm confused. Isnt that a UT gametype? (I like the idea)
Actually someone mentioned in another thread how they wanted a 3 Way CTF mod for T:V, which as most of us from T1 know doesn't work.

So I took a quick look at CnH and decided it wouldn't take long to convert a map and get the code in to make 4 team CnH. Bot were a bit of a pain in the ass, but they work. Pretty fun with 4 teams. Only problem is the T2 objective hud is only made for 2 teams so it will only show the first two teams names/scores. So I popped in a message to show scores.

ZOD said:
Actually someone mentioned in another thread how they wanted a 3 Way CTF mod for T:V, which as most of us from T1 know doesn't work.

So I took a quick look at CnH and decided it wouldn't take long to convert a map and get the code in to make 4 team CnH. Bot were a bit of a pain in the ass, but they work. Pretty fun with 4 teams. Only problem is the T2 objective hud is only made for 2 teams so it will only show the first two teams names/scores. So I popped in a message to show scores.

How would you handle competition? Assigned matches in a league would be easy. Getting 4 teams to agree on a ladder would be .... yech. Or are bots good enough. (Not in T2).

You know how RA is handled? (Teams/players queued to play. Never played TR2, is that how that works?) If the CnH teams were small, you could 'queue' small teams into a match. That might make pubs work. It might also make for an interesting 'bowling night' competition format in which registered teams do a ... what ... last team standing format competition.

... it's also sugar.

4 team comp would be out of the question imo. It makes for great pub fun however. Getting 4 competition teams to agree on maps and times, yeah right :lol:

It's been a while, but I believe Rocket Arena (UT, havent tried Q3 RA) can handle a fair number of teams (on the same competition map) in one evening using a sort of last man standing. Your team loses, then your team is replaced. (It may not be single elimination). I am assuming small teams. Maybe three.

-Buckler jumping (like disc jumping but with the buckler) is way too powerful, it does about half the damage and gives you a slightly larger boost. This should be removed, it doesn't really make much sense.

-The rockets are too accurate; if you do a little swirl around the point where you want to aim, they will all hit the exact same spot. I think you can kill a turret with two sets like this, didn't really test it much though.

-Speed pack + buckler jumping can get you to over 300kph in a few seconds from standstill.

Last edited:
Amadeu5 said:
Somehow I'm convinced that the only reason the m*v^2/r thing doesn't work that the values are not on the right scale. I'm going to experiment with finding the right multipliers for a day or two for sure. If I can't find them, I'll do a rough estimate similar to the beta 4 hook, but I'm not going to be very happy with that and might continue experimenting.
Dammit man, go with the simple code that works. While working with the Grappler for my T1 Vengeance mod I came up with 6 completely different methods, including F=M*V^2, and none worked better than a simple scaled impulse towards the hook position.

F=M*V^2 doesn't work because it doesnt allow for gravity, and calculating it in 3 dimensions is more work than the script engine can handle. It also doesn't apply any (or little) force when V is small. The V vector also needs to be reduced to its length. I got it working fairly good at higher speeds, but again, calculating gravity pull in 3 directions is evil.

Setting position and speed is also possible, or just speed. But the speed needs to be expanded into a vector and calculated. It's possible, but again, not fun to code, and the calculations made by the server slow it down, or movement is jerky.

If you want to see the T1 code I have let me know, but you should really use a simple scaled vector impulse.

Tune what you have, make adjustments for armor weight, and tune it so its fun. If it feels a little like a bungie cord, great. At least it will be fun, and thats what we're all here for. :D

Jim, I think the T:V hook does nothing but winch, as in you won't get closer to the center faster than the normal reel speed (unless you jet/boost or w/e).

Plas, I'd really like to see your code anyway. :) Email it to shiti@freemail.hu and I'll take a look at it when I get home.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, because you probably have a lot more experience at how such a thing can work, but I'm unfortunately a stubborn oaf who only learns from his own failures. I'm gonna take your word though and not try anything fancy until the rest is working.

Last post for now. Bye all, see you on Monday.

I agree with Plasmatic. You are operating in the nether world near the differential with small but discreet steps. An area where an added approximated value that is nearly linear has less error than the error between the true differential and this vague scheduled 'step' which may or may not occur anywhere near the points in time needed to keep the error under control.

I seriously doubt a theoretically accurate implementation would come even close UNLESS the timebase were either accurate (mathematically) or compensated for. Are the time intervals measured or assumed to be correct - assumed I think is the answer. The error here is significant I think.

I believe that is why the 'approximation' of the model seen in the beta 4 hook is 'functionally' better. (Even though the tracterpower should be reduced to 3 from 5).

Fei, are the pod rockets bad - too powerful? I wondered about this also. How powerful would the T2 missile need to be if it didnt lock, resulting in a direct center hit. You said two 'salvos' that's 12 rockets that all hit as well as they can. Wouldnt it only get worse from there? Isnt that as good as it can do? If the turret were running away (some targets will be moving :) ) they wouldnt all hit. If you were moving (when I'm shot at, I haul my 'turret' out of there) you would probably shoot yourself instead, I would. :) Who knows. This is a first of breed weapon for Tribes. It really needs to be tested in a pickup.

We may find 2 things. 1) They are easier to dodge than they are to accurately shoot (dont know for sure) and 2) That laser is an announcement that you are begging to to be shot at - a bullet magnet. It will be interesting to see how that works.

One last note Fei. When I tested the pod against a base turret, I placed a repair turret behind it to fix it because I was lazy. That alone made it all but impossible to destroy the turret. That applied to an MPB test I did as well. The repair turret is going to have a price on its head. :)

Amadeu5 said:
Jim, I think the T:V hook does nothing but winch, as in you won't get closer to the center faster than the normal reel speed (unless you jet/boost or w/e).

Plas, I'd really like to see your code anyway. :) Email it to shiti@freemail.hu and I'll take a look at it when I get home.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, because you probably have a lot more experience at how such a thing can work, but I'm unfortunately a stubborn oaf who only learns from his own failures. I'm gonna take your word though and not try anything fancy until the rest is working.

Last post for now. Bye all, see you on Monday.

Amadeus, if you shorten the radius AT ALL, you will increase in speed. This is angular movement. If the speed didnt change you would be defying the conservation of energy laws. :) Shorten the radius, increase the speed, conserve energy. Winching shortens the radius. The beta 4 hook wont even lift you, which is required to winch. :) You must use jets etc to assist. A hook that winched would launch by increasing speed by shortening the radius. (Think of that as a moment arm).

There was a server running on Thursday-Thursday night that must have been running the very latest version of this mod because it was running amazingly! The buckler was in and the rocket pod was firing missles that would follow your recticle. That server is down tonight and I'm really missing it. It was only playing two maps too and had a ton of bots on it.

Grappling hook was working quite well here too!

Bring back that server! Or please update the vengeance server to the latest version of this mod.

That was ZOD's server. I think he's trying to quickly get it to a FINAL rather than Beta release. As soon as he posts it.. I'll update =(ir)= Vengeance server.

:)

Back