Crom's T:V Impressions from GDC

Natural said:
No but KP/Thrax have 8 years of combined experience with Tribes. How many did DaveG have?

Dave G. may not have had experience with Tribes, or rather, the Tribes competitive community in particular, but before T2 he had competently managed several other games, including my personal favorite Heavy Gear 2.

He may not have been able to appease the hardcore competition crowd, but he was far from an inexperienced ignoramus when it came to managing these things, although he made some poor decisions in such issues as the release of T2 and subsequent patching. To me, those shortcomings were far more important than his vision of a slowed-down, defense-heavy Tribes game, which likely would have been water under the bridge with the release of T2 Classic had the release not been so badly bungled.

Thrax and KP may have experience with the Tribes community, but the full extent of their competence at actually controlling the future of the franchise remains to be demonstrated. I am not saying that it is likely that they will fail, but the notion that they may not succeed should not be lightly brushed aside.

Great update Crom, thanks.

So for regular play nobody will use the dainty light except route cappers, which will turn into a really specialized position. You won't suit up in light and while skiing into position decide to go battle Medium defenders. Your only job will be going 400KPH at the flag. No DJ is possible for speed, so all speed will be from skiing only (or is boosting a possibility). If it is as fragile as we have heard you will not want to take any skiing damage what so ever on the way to the flag. It will be once again a position that takes tonssss of practice.

Nicodemus said:
By doing these things, you are taking away from the "fun" and "skill" levels of the game. I'd even go as far as to say the game is ruined. Medium armor isn't for fudgeing capping. Its for farming. If a light is almost dead by one disc shot, the hell good will it be for? And no repair kits, what in sam hell? Jesus christ, so far I was extreamly happy with the way T:V was going and had a positive outlook on it. No longer do I have that view. You have ruined the game.
And that is just the attitude that makes Thrax picky and lock threads with no good reason. Next time, emphasize reasons and cut the jerking. Thank you.

I think the repair kit was a great addition to tribes/tribes2 that took skill to use, and got better the better you got at the game. The best thing is owning someone so hard, that they didnt get to use it... and then you get rewarded with health. Who cant tell me that was the shazbot? You gotta be good to kill someone that fast.

Maybe make it so that lights cant carry them (or works at only 50% of the strength), and remove the ability to 'drop' them.

Keep in mind we still don't know what the light's "exclusive" weapon is.

Nicodemus said:
By doing these things, you are taking away from the "fun" and "skill" levels of the game. I'd even go as far as to say the game is ruined. Medium armor isn't for fudgeing capping. Its for farming. If a light is almost dead by one disc shot, the hell good will it be for? And no repair kits, what in sam hell? Jesus christ, so far I was extreamly happy with the way T:V was going and had a positive outlook on it. No longer do I have that view. You have ruined the game.

By making the light weaker and taking out rep. kits how are they 'taking away the skill?' in my opinion people will need to be more skilled in the light armour now. Untill you've played beta quit whining and stfu.

I thought there were SS's with a med/rep + sniper rifle... oh well I may be wrong.

Nicodemus said:
Medium armor isn't for fudgeing capping. Its for farming.
Yes, clearly if the medium is good for anything but deploying, the game will be a steaming pile of feces. Best not to play.

Petition to rename armors to Diet, Regular, and Mav.

This light-light and light-medium is confusing me.

Colosus said:
Open beta is going to be very interesting.

Yeah all this from the couple of us that accually played it, I'd say its fair that TT forum will explode when it is released.

Colosus said:
Open beta is going to be very interesting.

It'll be even more interesting once I start putting on midfield laser shows and building turreted tree houses, as well as starting my own used rover dealership out at the edge of the map.

Even without the TL, I think I can find a way to disrupt the natural order in my own inimitable style.

Hopefully somebody will make a mod with deployables out the yinyang like Renegades. I'm really itchin' to take up capping in tree again.

I have no control over when it releases. I'm desperately waiting as well.

i realize that, i was just quoting you so i could leave beta out of my post. gotta save those keystrokes. or something.

Back