Crom's T:V Impressions from GDC

Thrax Panda said:
Some fighters (butterbean) aren't all that sleek.

True, but they ought to be.

You want to print "Fighter" in the manual, more power to you (well, not THAT much), but it'll always be the Pod to me.

Thrax Panda said:
Of course, it would be better off in the hands of Ben Reed, and Tribal War :)

Well, I don't mean to brag, but...

...yes.

Tribes: Bengeance!
- New maps with trees as far as the eyes can see! (These trees will be skiiable in order to offset the processor power they will eagerly consume like the carbon dioxide we exhale.)

- Indigenous wildlife that can be either killed or consumed for a health bonus or that can snack on an unlucky capper who screws up his route in the middle of a river during peak crocodile hour! (Be careful not to kill endangered species, or your team will be fined capture points!)

- Four times the taunts of UT2K4! Eight pages of voicebind insults to belittle your opponent while flying through the air at hundreds of miles per hour!

- Everyone gets a lightsaber, a Shoryuken, a Duke's Mighty Foot kick, and customizable hairdos, earrings, and other accessories that can be won be defeating other players online! Deck Jericho out with a Viking beard, a mohawk and a belt of scalps, or mow down other players as Julia with rocket-powered go-go boots, a solid gold Egyptian brooch, and an afro the size of the moon!

- Last but not least, naked pictures of Julia for EVERYBODY! Free bonus disc with over half a gig of our little Julie in her birthday suit! (Kids, ask your parents' permission before bolting into the bathroom with a laptop to behold her Imperial majesty, if you catch my drift.)

I apologize in advance for stealing all of your potential customers. I'll save you a spot in the unemployment line. ;)

Last edited:
I'm for cutting out the health kit, for exactly the reasons mentioned by the devs. This game needs a big audience, we NEED newbies, or Tribes will die, simple as that.

That being said, you should have a taunt that says something like "Eat my burnination" or something to the burninating effect.

Wulfen said:
Yeah, apparently the newbie crowd has to be pointed where to go too, or they might run for miles in the wrong direction. : \
This whole "newbie" schtick is lame. Claiming that every change that you don't understand is for "newbies" just shows your ignorance. If you want to explain why you think something is a bad idea, feel free. Crying "newbie" every time is just stupid.

Fraggy Poo said:
I'm for cutting out the health kit, for exactly the reasons mentioned by the devs. This game needs a big audience, we NEED newbies, or Tribes will die, simple as that.

That being said, you should have a taunt that says something like "Eat my burnination" or something to the burninating effect.

I like the "Eat my", at least.

Especially if "Come get some!" and "Over here!" are in there. :browsmile

jsut said:
Thrax, how much damage would a full DJ do to a medium?
I don't know. I can test it, but it will all change by the time we ship. Damage and health will both be adjusted as we move forward in testing. I'll try it tho...

Right now a medium takes about 50% to 60% damage if they shoot the ground right under their feet while standing. Light takes about 60% to 70%.

IMPORTANT: You never take that much damage when you DJ, as you're shooting at an angle, and the blast is farther away from you. In some real world testing I was able to DJ to start, and then get two more DJ's in without any problem.

Last edited:
thrax man, i hope i didn't cause you too much of a headache...

i never expected a 15 pg. thread out of this...

you shoulda made me sign an NDA :rofl:

Crom said:
thrax man, i hope i didn't cause you too much of a headache...

i never expected a 15 pg. thread out of this...

you shoulda made me sign an NDA :rofl:

You posted about not simply the GDC video, but the current BUILD of the actual GAME at GDC, which you actually GOT TO PLAY, and didn't expect a 15-page thread?

I know you're not dumb, man, but come on!

Last edited:
all in all this is turning out good, although i am a bit worried about map size but i guess i'll have to wait and see on the beta

SilentDeath said:
all in all this is turning out good, although i am a bit worried about map size but i guess i'll have to wait and see on the beta

I would figure that to compensate for the lack of OOB, the mappers would expand the general girth of the area behind and to the sides of the various bases to give a bit more leeway for obscure cap routes and offensive beachheads.

if u ever played tr2 in that.. the oob grid didnt stop movement but instead helped it...

so i dont think it will hurt gameplay all that much...

the OOB grid would work nice for map design as well the other way round, if you want an all out cluster fest (lord knows why, but if you did), its possible

edit: to clarify, thats an all out cluster fest WITHOUT 900mph, 5 nanosecond cap routes

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I always felt that the Rep kit allowed you to stay in the action rather than jetting back to the nearest station or trying to find someone with a rep pack (who might not help you anyway). It prevents gaps in the action.

The point is that instead of just fighting and respawning back at the base when you die, you have a way to stay in the fray as long as you can salvage rep kits. I found this to be an enjoyable aspect of the game when attacking the enemy far from any invs to heal you.

It is a tangible reward for skillful play. The better you played, and the more opponents you took down, the longer you could survive at the enemy base. I don't see this as an unbalancing element. After all, you still have to work for it and you don't always get the rep.kit from your vanquished foes.

If the concern is that the newbs find the rep kit unintuative, then why not have the kit be used automatically when their health reaches the level that allows the rep kit to heal them to full health?

For the Vets, you make this feature toggleable on/off and add a bindable repair key so they can still play the rep kit strategically. Seems like a reasonable solution to me...

What I have heard so far from Crom and from various members of the development team has convinced me that the game introduces enough new stuff that I won't even have time to focus on the fact that we have no TL or RK.

1. Packs are always active
2. Mines have to be deployed individually
3. Grenade changes?
4. Packs have a secondary function
5. Skiing has been altered enough that its going to be "new" with NO speed caps
6. Gliding as part of jetting
7. New ultralight
8. New sensor/radar as part of HUD
9. New manually controlled turrets
10. New vehicles with no missile launchers to take them down
11. Semi-guided rockets
12. New weapons that will take time to master
13. Deployables are carried and setup differently (and whatever deployables are options)
14. Ammo for laser rifle
15. Possibly targeting incoming projectiles with CG or other fire to take it out
16. PROBABLY only 3 weapons per armor
17. New stations and spawning for items/deployables (this sounds very confusing to me off the cuff and will make for some radical game play changes if my understanding is correct - WAY more than not having a TL or RK).

These are largely RADICAL changes to gameplay with the exception that we can jet and ski still and have most of the desired weapons. I don't think I wil have any focus at all on having a TL to use or a RK to save my butt with all these changes. We are going to find out if we love or hate this game based on these (and probably two dozen more that I have forgotten) point rather than not having a louse TL or RK. I would love the TL and think the RK is good too but hell I am open to try new concepts.

We are getting too hung up on the T2 sucked and we had such high hopes mantra here. These guys know our likes and desires and they are trying to turn a profit too. If its easier for the mainstream to adapt to no TL or RK then I can deal with that. There are enough other more MAJOR changes at hand that have my interest piqued. We shall know when Beta arrives. I forsee they will be altering things the whole time based on comments and reports.

Lets not crucify these guys for this stuff. Pick your battles and this one just doesnt seem like something thats worth falling on our swords over.

Personally I will be too busy trying to figure out how to take out an opponent who is perpetually "repairing" himself than to figure out how pissed that I don't have a RK handy.

:shrug:

Last edited:
I have no objections to the oob grid though.
Oob strategies were lame as hell. I prefer that the action stays inside the play area.
Hiding invs and spawn points (the rover) in Oob does nothing but spread out the action and encourage cheap tactics.

I don't really think a lack of rep kits will make that much of a difference other than peeps that get fast kills on new players being able to regen health. Any health difference it would have can just be ballanced into the player's full health.
ZProtoss said:
Making a game easier for new players is *not* always better in the long run. To prove that all you have to do is look at SC v War3. SC was unbelievably hard for new players to even come 1/1000th as close as touching some of the best in the game. However that very same diversity gave SC its amazing longevity at all levels of skill. With War3 blizz took the simplify everything to a ridiculous amount approach, and while war3 was successful (the blizz name is to thank for many, *many* of the sales), the game has had much less success in online longevity than SC had. Because everything was simplified so much.
I agree in one aspect--SC has a much higher skill ceiling.
However, I don't agree with that new player argument. I don't know how many times I've seen a newbie do well by doing nothing but building battlecruisers, carriers, or zerglings. These are things that won't work against an experienced player but the fact stands that such things allow new players to quickly attain a measure of success. WC3 on the other hand I think is harder for new players, there's at least twice as many things you need to know to have a complete understanding of the game and it's much more of a numbers game--whoever has the bigger horde and better use of heroes/magic wins, it doesn't matter as much what the horde is made of either as it does in other games.

Personally the thing I really see as holding WC3 back is the very limited gameplay. Every time you go to play you quickly build a hero and go kill creeps to make your hero better. Then you fight a simmilar sized horde of enemy troops, concentrating on their hero(es) if the opportunity arises. If the fight goes poorly you run and try to save whatever heroes and units you can. If it goes well you try to prevent their hero's escape and press your advantage their base/expansions. That's a few sentences, but it's what happens in every game--the battles are even kept relatively the same size by the taxes... its the same thing over and over, rinse and repeat until one person wins. In SC there's a lot more variance in strategy, people tech rush, expansion rush, cover a teching ally, turtle (though not usually smart), etc. There's much more room for people to get trumped and have wacky things happen. In WC3 it's build your horde and go fight a simmilar horde over and over--little variance. That's what holds it back.

Back