Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Crom's T:V Impressions from GDC
Page 10 of 34
KillerONE
VeteranX
Old
181 - 03-29-2004, 16:50
One thing about the disc jump. The disk jump was always an "accepted" health loss could you coud immediately use your Repair Kit to get that lost health back. Now with the light taking more damage than normal and no Repair Kits, things could get interesting.

It's great to hear those from the community that have played it. From Crom and my good friends and teammates, Dirmax and Biomodd, all of their first try at T:V ABOVE average-over-the-top-love-it-reviews in terms of movement/skiing etc. I'm very excited about that.

Sponsored Links
Validuz
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
182 - 03-29-2004, 16:51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Reed
I think a repair kit that can only be used by the person who carries it, and that does not exist in a material form to be tossed, would nerf such inv-spam techniques while still allowing the strategic use of rep kits for stuff like disc jumping and prolonged flag defense by light or medium defenders.
I think they should just leave the kits alone.. But if something *must* be changed, I think it should just have a % of them, so if Im about to die and I use my kit... and I only use "half" of the kit, someone can walk by and pick up the kit, but only get half usage out of it.

Minstrel
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
183 - 03-29-2004, 16:52
I thought T1 was pretty fun. Even with the retarded newbs who insist on using the TL and flying around the whole map in one of the gay vehicles.

Bistromatic
VeteranX
Old
184 - 03-29-2004, 16:54
What does the flag currently look like?
I remember a classic flag with puffy smoke balls, and the "holo-flag" from the press event with a continous glowing trail.
From what i've seen i'd prefer the holo-flag, but a "ragdoll" flag flowing behind you could also be neat.

Thrax Panda
God Complex4
Old
185 - 03-29-2004, 16:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus
I'm not too sure about that truck though I dont think theres much need for it. It held like 6 players but didnt really move all that fast and was hard not to flip it like you said.
6 = 2. Physics not finished yet.

Validuz
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
186 - 03-29-2004, 16:59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrax Panda
Fair enough, but If I want to sell a million coppies, I need the unwashed masses to play, don't I. So how do I do that without cleaning up the many rough edges that the previous two games had?
Rough edges = indepth gameplay?

I find it hard to believe... a repair kit, is a fudgeing "rough edge".

Undisciplined
VeteranX
Old
187 - 03-29-2004, 17:01
Are these "deployable stations" destroyable or powered? If not, that means that mines and deployables will be available when the power is down, which is different but not necessarily bad (it would just be a little weird if you can get deployable turrets but not switch armor or weapons). Also, I remember reading that these deployables could be taken by ANYONE, as in it wasn't team discriminating. I'm not sure if I'd like that idea, since that means if your base is taken, the enemy can take your own turrets and mines and set up base.

Crom
VeteranX
Old
188 - 03-29-2004, 17:03
Quote:
6 = 2. Physics not finished yet.
i liked the physics of the vehicle so far...the suspension (including the animations) looked and felt great. When [Insert Lead Programmers' Name] was driving it, he was going pretty good and was catching huge air off of hills.

i still doubt i will use it, but if UT2K4 is any example, newbloods will love this.

Thrax Panda
God Complex4
Old
189 - 03-29-2004, 17:03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeu5
Would the game be worse if they had repair kits?
It might be

Really, as I told Crom at GDC, this build doesn't have them as a carryable item. Future builds may have them. It's easy to add/remove, so beta testing will probably be where we finalize our decision.

Thrax Panda
God Complex4
Old
190 - 03-29-2004, 17:04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom
i still doubt i will use it, but if UT2K4 is any example, newbloods will love this.
Then it's design is perfect.

Killjoy
VeteranXX
Old
191 - 03-29-2004, 17:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undisciplined
Are these "deployable stations" destroyable or powered? If not, that means that mines and deployables will be available when the power is down, which is different but not necessarily bad (it would just be a little weird if you can get deployable turrets but not switch armor or weapons). Also, I remember reading that these deployables could be taken by ANYONE, as in it wasn't team discriminating. I'm not sure if I'd like that idea, since that means if your base is taken, the enemy can take your own turrets and mines and set up base.
That is an aspect I actually find pretty appealing

KillerONE
VeteranX
Old
192 - 03-29-2004, 17:07
Ya... I'm down with FUN vehicles.. Loved driving the warthog in Halo and launching off hills.. FUN!!! Also, the gunner was very effective. Good stuff.

Crom
VeteranX
Old
193 - 03-29-2004, 17:08
Quote:
It might be

Really, as I told Crom at GDC, this build doesn't have them as a carryable item. Future builds may have them. It's easy to add/remove, so beta testing will probably be where we finalize our decision.
very true...and i made sure to note this in my posts...however, IMO, if you really wanted them in the game, they woulda been there.

man

E3 is too far away....

jsut
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
194 - 03-29-2004, 17:09
if you can carry a pack and a deployable at the same time farming is going to be much different in T:V than in either of the last two games. now that you spawn in medium i can imagine farms being maintained by spawn LD (thought they won't be in light anymore)

Crom
VeteranX
Old
195 - 03-29-2004, 17:10
and since there is no md'ing anymore, we might as well call the med d "MD"

Shoddy
VeteranX
Old
196 - 03-29-2004, 17:18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom
[Insert Lead Programmers' Name]
Ed Orman, lead designer?
Rowan Wyborn, lead programmer?
Glenn "experimental" Fielder, programmer?

slogg
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
197 - 03-29-2004, 17:26
Quote:
really long statement w/ lots of good info.
A) im glad to see thrax turned over a new leaf and is actually being helpful (no doubt we can still expect some good comments to people with stupid questions)

Quote:
In TV, all packs do something for you all the time. All packs also do something else for you if you hit the "pack" key. Again, this is obviously a net-simplification.
B) does this hitting the pack key to do something else apply to the energy pack aswell, thus the speed boost, or is the speed boost completley seperate and doable w/o the nrg pack?

jsut
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
198 - 03-29-2004, 17:28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sLoGg
B) does this hitting the pack key to do something else apply to the energy pack aswell, thus the speed boost, or is the speed boost completley seperate and doable w/o the nrg pack?
boost is the active ability of the epack, so yeah, you have to have an epack on to do it.

Bistromatic
VeteranX
Old
199 - 03-29-2004, 17:28
it's the active function of the e-pack for all i know

...beaten to it

Limbo
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
200 - 03-29-2004, 17:32
I don't like the OOB bounce thing, not a bit.
This is what i'm concerned about:

1. Not having the ability to setup fast routes OOB.
2. Cappers just rushing to the OOB grid to bounce off and get away from chasers easily.

Are there penalties that the OOB grid will give? Perhaps if you fly into it, it will give damage depending on your speed? Eg: Walking into it won't do anything, it will just be like a wall, if you get into it, it might bounce you off a bit without much dmg done.

Page 10 of 34

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Crom's T:V Impressions from GDC

Social Website Bullshit