[Poll] Wealth Re-distribution?

I'm for it, but not nearly to the level that the democrats want to do it.

I'm more for the Ben and Jerry's model.

The current corporate model if just fucking stupid. CEOs should never make hundreds of times more money than their lowest employees. I don't care how fucking smart and savvy you are, you don't work as hard and aren't worth 400x more than the receptionist. I'd even bet all cushy perks aside, that she works harder than you.

this is the guy that mops up the floors at work and can't figure out why he is going no where.

Allow me to mention something about Asian or other minorities that aren't Black or Hispanic:

I am a white dude, so I'm still learning about how things work with quotas, exemptions, etc. I was disappointed to hear that my co-worker and colleague was denied financial aid because he was not a minority, yet he was Asian. His kid is a standout student - a presidential scholar who got into MIT and he's going to have to pay the entire bill, whereas other people in his financial situation would get aid - if he were Black or Mexican.

That's kinda BS.

Also - regarding welfare and Asians, or any other immigrant group who came here: These people, my Italian ancestors included, came here with nothing and made something for themselves, but we've got our own natural-born citizens who are afforded the same opportunities as every other American, yet they decide to live on public assistance. That's even more BS.

I'm sick of people whining about themselves and their situation. Success is earned and it should not be punished. Even those rich-kid trust fund babies - they should not be punished by taxes because that money was made somewhere by their parents.

Rich people make the world go around. They make things happen. They create jobs, they create goods and services. They consume more than a poor person. They contribute more than most, yet people love to slam rich people.

Instead of being envious and jealous of rich people, why don't these class envious people look at rich people and get inspired? Instead of hating, why not admire what they did to get rich? Why not appreciate the hard work and effort that they'd put out to get where they are?

To redistribute wealth, to penalize success by prohibitive taxes, is the single most un-American thing we can do now. Our country was formed by people trying to break free of oppressive taxation, yet it's patriotic to "pay your share"? What a joke. If you think this way, then you have some growing up to do and maybe you should go out and try to make something of yourself, instead of criticizing those that have the balls to.

for...to a point.

I don't think that 'rich' people should get unduely gigged just because they have large amounts of money and the ability to make more.

However, as the saying goes, it takes money to make money, and many times, the ways that you make money are not necessarily fair or even legal. I'd bet that there isn't one person in this country that is in what is considered the upper class, if they didn't get their money from inheritance, they didn't get where they are and what they have without doing SOMETHING that would atleast be considered 'shady' to things that are outright illegal. And even if they DID get it in an inheritance, probably have the advice of many well paid tax and law officials that people in the middle and lower classes will never have.

A guy making 45-50k a year doesn't make enough money to rate high enough in the food chain to get breaks like those of the upper class do to be able to find slick little ways to not only hang onto current wealth, but build wealth for the future.

Take away those breaks and make everything more transparent, then do a flat tax and let the wealth of this country and the rest of the world, 'redistribute' itself that way. If they can't save the larger amount of money, it will have to be put back into 'play' in the economy in some way, by a purchase, some kind of bank account (even in someone's else's name), something. It wont be able to be tucked up in the mattress of just one person

What cracks me up is the conservative right's emphasis on keeping there "hard earned money", while at the same time claiming to be the only TRUE Christian political party.

Yet look at what it says in the book they supposedly run there country based on.

"He who mocks the poor shows contempt for their Maker; whoever gloats over disaster will not go unpunished."
-Proverbs 17:5

"He who oppresses the poor to increase his wealth and he who gives gifts to the rich--both come to poverty."
-Proverbs 22:16

"Jesus answered, 'If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'"
-Matthew 19:21

"He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses."
-Proverbs 28:27

"People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs."
-1 Timothy 6:9-10

Hypocrisy anyone?

The flaw in your argument is that you assume ALL conservatives are religious

Rich people make the world go around. They make things happen.

:rofl: All they do is fatten their own pockets. Their worlds center around money, and how to get more of it. Pure greed is all they live for.

They create jobs, they create goods and services.

This is something that mis-identifying kids (like yourself) often screech about, but it has yet to be proven.

They consume more than a poor person.

This is not a good thing, just so you know.

They contribute more than most, yet people love to slam rich people.

Rich people got rich by swindling and cheating others. They don't contribute more. They fuck others over more.

Instead of being envious and jealous of rich people, why don't these class envious people look at rich people and get inspired?

It's not envy. It's hatred of injustice. Rich people are without exception nothing but lowly thieves.

A guy making 45-50k a year doesn't make enough money to rate high enough in the food chain to get breaks like those of the upper class do to be able to find slick little ways to not only hang onto current wealth, but build wealth for the future.

I disagree. Here's why: That person who's making 45-50K has the limitless potential to earn much nigher. It may take education, it may take more work - whatever. It's the person's decisions that dictate their income level, not their situation.

Please listen to a true story that shows how you can create opportunity when it's not handed to you:

A good friend of mine was rightfully convicted of a few crimes. Spent 4 or more years in jail. He came out and had nothing. He started over again from nothing and worked as a carpenter's laborer - not making much money. Because he wanted more from life, he spent his work days learning as much as possible about carpentry. In a few years he went from no carpentry experience, to being a pretty good carpenter - specializing in finish and trim.

A few more years go by and he becomes a supervisor, making even more money than before. He learns how to run jobs and decides that he can work for himself. He assembles a crew of workers and becomes a carpentry subcontractor. He takes this business and grows it pretty quickly. He has 24 full-time employees and he begins to learn about general contracting by being a subcontractor,

A few more years go by and he's made a name for himself as a really good contractor. He's offered a job as a project manager for a very large commercial contractor. He sells his subcontracting company and takes the job.

In the span of 8 years, this man went from being fresh-out-of-jail, to making around $130K / yr with bonuses - but with shorter workdays than ever, plus he is investing in properties and rehabbing them. He's got a great family now, and wonderful kids.

You know what he had? He had plans and ambitions and nothing fucking stopped him from becoming who he is. It was his drive and determination that took him from nothing, to a pretty well-off family man.

Moral of the story: Even if you fuck up in life and you have nothing, you can make something of yourself, if you don't blame the world for your problems and you take charge of your life and make things happen.

It's just a shame that people are too afraid to sack-up and make moves - they'd rather sit on their ass and blame people for their problems, instead of doing something about them.

It's not envy. It's hatred of injustice. Rich people are without exception nothing but lowly thieves.

Agreed. I don't envy the rich. That paper-thin class envy bullshit is their defense mechanism for quite literally any criticism aimed their way, and it's totally phony and narcissistic. "You just want to be like me! You all do!" Yeah, right.

I find a good deal of them disgusting and gluttonous, like a fat, spoiled child gorging himself, wanting things only because they don't have them: $35,000 curtains, third and fourth homes, endless development in a finite world, etcetera... I do not envy this behavior.

The flaw in your argument is that you assume ALL conservatives are religious

Well that and there is a difference between stealing money from a certain group of people to give to another group, and just giving money out of your own pocket. Logic isn't his strong point though.

[ ] For
[X] Against

Taking money away from smart/hard-working people and giving it to stupid/lazy people isn't a recipe for success.

What cracks me up is the conservative right's emphasis on keeping there "hard earned money", while at the same time claiming to be the only TRUE Christian political party.

Yet look at what it says in the book they supposedly run there country based on.

"He who mocks the poor shows contempt for their Maker; whoever gloats over disaster will not go unpunished."
-Proverbs 17:5

"He who oppresses the poor to increase his wealth and he who gives gifts to the rich--both come to poverty."
-Proverbs 22:16

"Jesus answered, 'If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.'"
-Matthew 19:21

"He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses."
-Proverbs 28:27

"People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs."
-1 Timothy 6:9-10

Hypocrisy anyone?

Taxes aren't charity. Obama between 2000-2005 donated 0.4-1% of his income (and 2006-2007 gave like 5%, because he was running for president). Biden in the total of his life donated like $3,000. McCain donates 28-30% of his income every year and has an adopted Bangladeshi daughter. Al Gore vs. Bush was the same thing.

Obama/Biden: Do as I say, not as I do. <--That's hypocrisy.

Taxes aren't charity. Obama between 2000-2005 donated 0.4-1% of his income (and 2006-2007 gave like 5%, because he was running for president). Biden in the total of his life donated like $3,000. McCain donates 28-30% of his income every year and has an adopted Bangladeshi daughter. Al Gore vs. Bush was the same thing.

Did McCain's wife donate 28-30%.

Mccain donated most of the $ to his kid's private schools when they were there.

Back