since AVG are now complete fuckheads, AntiVirus recommendations?

Use firefox/opera/something similiar and don't open weird shit? It's been keeping me virus free for as long as i can remember

Pity it didn't stop that virus a few months ago that can infect through a web page opened in Firefox, hangs around for a few days to glean bank details and credit card numbers (as well as anything else you might happen to type, being a keylogger), and then disappears without leaving a single trace. :sunny:

The days of destructive viruses have faded. It's all about getting in and out with a jackpot and never alerting the user to its presence.

For those reluctant to use anti-virus, it's the total equivalent of not being vaccinated for any one of the insane viruses that may be circulating in your country. You may very well get through life without catching anything, but if your care and attention lapses for just a second and you catch that particular rock with your foot and get tetanus, you're sure as fucking hell going to wish you'd had that vaccination.

The software recommended in this thread leaves a negligible footprint on any modern machine anyway, and doesn't impede gaming/etc in the slightest. As I said, Avast literally shows no signs of even running (not even a taskbar icon) yet keeps you protected and updates itself. We're not in the 90s with bloated anti-virus that doesn't even do its job properly anyway.

Last edited:
I'm trying out avast, but I don't really like it thus far. And yeah, I uninstalled AVG recently.

I used to not worry about anti-virus shit, but my cc # was apparently keylogged or something and some Chinese bitch used it to purchase some stuff online.

If you're using Avast, head into the configuration and enable the various silent modes, disable pop-up notifications of updates, etc. It's quite easy to get it to the point where it's literally invisible, and thus there's nothing to dislike.

linkscanner? yeah, you can disable it.

I do get pissed when AVG finds a false positive. It automatically makes it inaccessible and will keep nagging you until you delete it/put it in the virus vault.

There's a fucking button that says IGNORE, why doesnt it work?

Hell, I just installed Warcraft 3 off my original CD purchased from the store (real store, not "store") and it supposedly found a virus in War3.exe; turns out its just the copy protection.

Yeah, I think I may be switching antivirus software soon.

I'm trying avast now. going to disable that VRDB, I don't like the idea of it keeping 3 versions of every file even if it is only working when the screensaver is on.

If I get infected somehow I'll just reload a fresh install from norton ghost, not trust this thing to try to clean every file

VRDB stands for "Virus Recovery Database"; it was known as "Integrity Database" in previous avast! versions. The aim of VRDB is to help when, despite all the security measures, a virus gets inside the computer and the files are infected. With the help of VRDB, it is possible to repair many infected files (return them exactly to their original state). VRDB is announced by an icon with the letter "i" in the system tray (next to the clock). If the icon is animated, the database is being created right now.

I'd say it's a pretty important feature because without it, it cannot "repair" infected files. I update it manually.

I'd say it's a pretty important feature because without it, it cannot "repair" infected files. I update it manually.

Basically what I read said it keeps up to 3 copies of each file to "repair" them back to their original state.

That seems kind of ridiculous, how much space is that going to take up?

Does it make three copies, or does it behave like Windows Vista's shadow copy in that it only saves the data it needs to adjust the file to how it was before? There's a phenomenal difference, size-wise.

Does it make three copies, or does it behave like Windows Vista's shadow copy in that it only saves the data it needs to adjust the file to how it was before? There's a phenomenal difference, size-wise.

I bet it is something like that.

I've been using Avast for a long time and I have not noticed that my hard drive space disappeared enough for it to be making 3 copies of every file.

Looks like AVG will release a fix for this on the 9th. If not sooner. I just had an update for it.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/07/avg-remedies-fake-traffic

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1007329&r=15942208#r15942208

LLoyd from AVG writes...

In working with the web master community, AVG has responded immediately and on Tuesday, July 9th, AVG will issue a product modification to address the spikes that a few individuals have seen with their web traffic.

We have modified the Search-Shield component of the product to only notify users of malicious sites. Search-Shield no longer scans each search result online for new exploits, which was causing the spikes that web masters addressed with us.

Back