This is how to make the smartcar sell.

you are telling me you get a gas model in the US? only turbo diesel here in Canada that I know of.

nothing wrong with being small or slow...

People need to stop claiming it isn't though.

OMG i test drove a prius and its actually fast guys!(someone seriously made a thread here on tw stating this).

No. It's not, and it is not supposed to be.

My only actual problem with the car is that it gets 33\41mpg... Can't some regular sized volkswagons do this? the civic?

Sure, some regular sized vehicles can get near or more than that MPG. However, what $11k car do you know that can get that kind of MPG? I know, that's for the base model etc, but still, even a $15k car is hard to find with that kind of mileage.

And when people say "omg it's fast," they are probably going in expecting it to take an hour to get up to highway speed...but it does it in 10 - 15 seconds, that's fast to them. I don't think they mean that it's as fast as a viper or lambo or anything, just that it's faster than one might expect given the HP ratings etc.

Same for the room in the vehicle. When you look at a smart car you think of there being little room for the driver and passenger, but when you get in, there's surprisingly plenty of room. Sure, it's not a luxury car or 7 seater with loads of cargo room, but for what it is, it's decently comfortable.

My Trans Am gets decent gas mileage when I'm not burying the pedal all week, and its moded pretty decently even. :shrug:

My husband is getting 22mpg out of his 1996. It's not bad, but there could be better, and when he drives 20+ miles one way to work, he's basically using 2 gallons every day. For a little extra cost up front, we could get something getting nearly double that MPG. :shrug:

There are far better uses of the 'busa engine around

For example:
m_powertec_V8.jpg

The Powertec V8 - born from 2 Busa top ends, mated in a common crank case to make a single 2.6 litre V8.. This one's been extended out to 2.8L, and develops 455hp. This is the engine that powered the Nurburgring lap record holder for production cars until the Ariel Atom took it away recently.

105_assembled.jpg

A little more low-tech, but the same principle.. the Hartley H-1.

Of course... with these being suzuki top ends still, all those performance upgrades like new camshafts, valves/springs, even turbos.. are still on the cards.

I have this fantasy of one day designing a nice lightweight mid-engined kit car and dropping one of those things into it - absolute goddamn demons.

but then u can also say that anything small is a death trap. and motorcycles are dangerous, but they are the way they are :shrug:

Smart car was designed to be rigid + airbags instead of crumple zones. This was addressed before manufacturing.. you should read up before you make blatent assumptions.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/14/autos/smart_fortwo_iihs_crash_test/index.htm?eref=rss_topstories

Tiny Smart car gets crash test kudos
The Smart ForTwo earns the top rating for front and side impact protection in crash tests by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

The SmartCar doesn't sell because it's $15,000 for a car that doesn't get more than 40mpg.

Back