Need a Tribes OGL Historian

Best sniper is a toss up, its sort of like asking who's the best three point shooter in basketball. Some people are consistent, some are clutch, others go on hot and cold streaks.

Names that stick out for being consistently excellent were Realistik, Slut, Locke435, Uppa, KineticPoet and Special as well as Jaymz and a ton of others. If I had to pick one, i'd say Vox. The guy never missed

Livingdeath said:
Best sniper is a toss up, its sort of like asking who's the best three point shooter in basketball. Some people are consistent, some are clutch, others go on hot and cold streaks.

Names that stick out for being consistently excellent were Realistik, Slut, Locke435, Uppa, KineticPoet and Special as well as Jaymz and a ton of others. If I had to pick one, i'd say Vox. The guy never missed

Yes but you also have to factor in the speed at which people were moving. Early in T1, sniping as an LPB was a joke. Nobody was skiing, and even if they were it wasn't lightning fast.

Livingdeath said:

I'd have to go with Locke355 on that one.

Snipers got so brutal even in pubs, I remember times being on Cheater's Wayside when the other team would have 4 or 5 really good snipers. I would usually just end up going HO to try to distract them for cappers, but even as a heavy they could cut you down scary fast.

A group of snipers like that in a pub made it pretty easy to get a shutout on.

have to ping my brother GD towards the end there.. he amazed me. He'd have this autistic gaze on his face with a cigarette dangling

I have lost most of my feel for the sniper rifle in T1, the other week I had no problems in T:V but when I was playing on Deadly Family last night I found I wasn't making that many shots.

I was really good with the laser rifle back when I was on a 56k modem, just because I used it so often.

I was a hit or miss sniper... if I was on, i'd nail anything and everything... but if not, i couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. Just really streaky. I prefered Discs and Nades. I just never enjoyed chaining people down... I could chain ok if I had to... not good by any means... but I normally just went disc.

Uppa, Sirus, an Killerbunny were damn good Snipers, though. Sirus played with a friggin gamepad, too. That just boggled my mind.

KI said:
have to ping my brother GD towards the end there.. he amazed me. He'd have this autistic gaze on his face with a cigarette dangling

This made me lol

And btw, in regards to "jacked up" configs I don't think anyone can take the cake from Severed. He uses a mouse and this jacked up joystick with his other hand. Weirdest combo I've ever seen.

SuperSniperX said:
I was a hit or miss sniper... if I was on, i'd nail anything and everything... but if not, i couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. Just really streaky. I prefered Discs and Nades. I just never enjoyed chaining people down... I could chain ok if I had to... not good by any means... but I normally just went disc.

Uppa, Sirus, an Killerbunny were damn good Snipers, though. Sirus played with a friggin gamepad, too. That just boggled my mind.

I was the same way with sniper, my chain was less streaky but I would always have at least one bad night where I could hit anything.

DeadlyRabbit said:
I have lost most of my feel for the sniper rifle in T1, the other week I had no problems in T:V but when I was playing on Deadly Family last night I found I wasn't making that many shots.

I was really good with the laser rifle back when I was on a 56k modem, just because I used it so often.

it prolly has to do with the fact that you are going between a sniper with a second delay and one that doesnt, play for a couple nights in a row and the rifle in T1 seems to come back like a charm at least for me its starting to.

I always felt I was a good chainwhore. Of course I never played competitively, so I couldn't really compare myself to anyone.

I love nostalgia. :)

Elliot and Joe, I can't believe you guys showed up in this thread, you dirty jews. :heart:

:wave: to everyone I know.

sLaM said:
This made me lol

And btw, in regards to "jacked up" configs I don't think anyone can take the cake from Severed. He uses a mouse and this jacked up joystick with his other hand. Weirdest combo I've ever seen.

i remember seeing someone with one of those gaming glove things and a trackball

someone also had their keyboard sideways (using numpad)

http://www.jedimasters.com/html/game0.htm

a brief history of the team I started on, way back when. (JediG) WarNipple was going to join our team at one point, but our leaders didn't like him and he went to IE. I think we took Liquid Death from z2(zX?). I think he taught us all what skiing was. Then he showed us how to go through the DX base instead of dropping onto the flag from the top. Good times. We weren't great but we had a good game vs alot of the older teams as everyone was new.

then EverQuest came out, and most of the team left.

I later played on Miles O'Carnage (Mayhem), reverence (vesuv), and The Shit(vesuv). I think that was all.

I've been around since the beginning and I still play every once in a while. I took breaks at points in time so people don't think I have been around.

I think I enjoed MoC the best, playing with Acerbity and Fidelio and those guys. I also spent a lot of time playing with 5150 and other big teams, mostly in pubs but in some scrims.

Xexis played with his mouse on his knee. Didn't someone play with their mouse upside down too (ie buttons under the palm of the hand)?

I still remember at that one LAN where Papa and Splat played on the same machine as Papasplat and still capped.

IE Match Turns Sour
[ JM Vex - Sunday Feb 28, 1999]
Well, our first OGL match turned out less than spectacular and ended in a contested event that left both tribes feeling unsatisfied. The #70 ranked Imperial Elite ccepted the JM challenge (#74 rank) and terms were immediately set up to play on their server.

This was a strange group. Some of IE seemed reasonable enough, but a couple of them were ranting and raving, verbally abusing us, and just being generally immature. To begin with, their server is on a cable modem which is against OGL rules. Did we complain? Nope. During the game they had an outside "observer" join the game (again, against the rules). Did we complain? Nope. We started playing and the game was horribly lagged out. It was at the point where people couldn't move, and just warped when they finally did move. Members of both teams were complaining about the lag but because [IE] were ahead at the time they naturally wanted to just play on. Since we could not even move and the match was essentially unplayable, we decided to move to a different server and take the loss on Snowblind.

Player [IE]Natural agreed to redo the match if we would play it on their server and do 8on8 instead of the previously agreed upon 10on10. JM Vex (yours truly) had to agree to sit out that match in order to meet their conditions. Well, after losing that match 1-0 we ask to have the 10on10 match that we all agreed on in the first place and are immediately trashed by [IE]Cyrano and [IE]Sadric in the most unprofessional manner. In order to appease these guys we agree to 8on8 (and yours truly retired for the night without spilling any [IE] blood...sigh).

The 2nd match was on ScaraBrae and in the final seconds of the match we lose 2-1 at the tower. At that time, we weren't sure if the Tower counted as a point in a CTF ladder and we raised this issue, generating more verbal abuse from [IE]Cyrano. We later learned from the Administrator that the tower does indeed count (although we continue to believe it should not, but we were prepared to accept that decision).

Was this 2-0 "victory" enough to satisfy the childish [IE]Cyrano? Nope. He continued to lash out against the JMs and just wound up pissing everyone off, to the point where even his teammates were telling him to shut up. Mainly due to his childish outbursts and insulting tirade on his web site, we felt forced to defend our name and brought the matter to the attention of the OGL. Grimlok, the OGL Administrator, heard both sides and acted swiftly: match cancelled.

The JMs are honorable players who don't need to defend their honor with lame excuses. We hope that the OGL action speaks for itself in settling this matter.

And with that, we go back into battle on (hopefully) more honorable battlefields.

Back