Need a Tribes OGL Historian

Enlightened One said:
I remember I used to play Tribes with a 56k modem and no real video card (just the stock junk). I was probably at least a year into my playing days when I picked up a Voodoo 2. The jagged edges suddenly looked smooth. Heaven.

As for the modem, I didn't upgrade until long after I was in NuTz. I eventually got a stellar IDSL connection.

Looking back on those days, I was basically playing with the computer equivalent of an 8-track deck. It was a blast though (when the red modem icon wasn't flashing).
i played ona 56k all through the years of t1 that were worth a shit. fortunately enDless picked me up and I still got to play. I was the only 56ker who could chain and MA worth a shit. Unfortunately for matches that were important i was forced to HO.

I played via IP over Avian Carrier, had like 30 minute ping times... and played on an overclocked TI-85 Graphing calculator that only displayed code in monchrome. I couldn't use a mouse... and had to enter every movement/command in binary... and I still MA'd and Sniped like a mofo!!!!

Wow Enlightened just rememinded me of something. I remember seeing Realisticks screen at one lan or another, and he was playing with all his details completely down. Looked like some drunked cartoon because of all the haze and blobs, and I asked him if it was a joke.

He said its how he played because he couldnt afford a vid card. That dude owned the shit out of the best cappers there were on low detail tribes with an onboard video card or something.

Try turning your detail settings down to nothing and you'll crap your pants at what it looks like. hehe.

Detox.enD said:
I was the only 56ker who could chain and MA worth a shit. Unfortunately for matches that were important i was forced to HO.

no you weren't. me and powdahound got you beat on that one :p

Back in Detroit for now. Probably going back to Dallas before too long, though.

Was hoping to get to UVA this year... but instead I get to babysit some vendor as I build out a test lab for their new shit.

SuperSniperX said:
Back in Detroit for now. Probably going back to Dallas before too long, though.

Was hoping to get to UVA this year... but instead I get to babysit some vendor as I build out a test lab for their new shit.

What type hardware? Pizza Boxes? Blade Centers?

d0ur said:
As for cheating, and ppl like azn who claim its all skill and cheating is minor. Thats really not true. I almost equate cheating in T1 to steriods in Baseball. A average player taking steriods is gonna be better, but nothing much. A great player using mods is gonna be even better. Theres no denying the rampant use of mods. Do chainsparks, redmines and shit make a big impact? Of course not. Did autobeacon and Happy? You bet you ass. Its no coincedence S3/NuTz would choose maps like CoN and shit when u challenged them. As a HoF i remember S3 on CoN and the aburdity that was their morters. We were down a few flags at one point and we sent a LD to find their HO. And the guy could literally ski and hit the flag stand dead money each time. It was a big deal. Would S3 have been a top 15 team without the cheats? Or course, but not the top 5 i really believe that. Cause before cheating became so apparent, this was a team that lost alot to top 5 teams, kinda like NuTz. But hey, its a game and that shit happens.

such fucking bullshit. maybe stop making shit up. so many fucking haters it's amazing, still to this day. lol. i played ho and my con demos have been available for years.

if i recall correctly, 5150 beat us first on CoN. after that we prac'd the map a lot, got our offense down to precision which is why we'd pick con and sb so much.

i'm pretty sure abusive got destroyed in that match on dx/con if those were the maps, so maybe you're still butthurt. (some of you are really cool so it's not like i hate you guys.)

someone also mentioned something about s3 losing top 5 games until cheats became apparent...the whole losing thing could be true but we turned everything around once our roster was solidified. i mark this beginning with the insanely close nutz match that went into OT. we picked up mauvro, raskal, sep and myself; shit really got going after that. (btw i only threw myself in that lineup because it's true, my first match was the nutz game and i totally sucked in it)..actually rask came in a bit later, i think we still had blue/stupid capping at the time. stupid was pretty good too. i may be forgetting another capper that was in/active at the time. salindraprime? the other capper was automag, stupid might have been LD at the time.

once our offense started rolling is when anyone that wasn't 5150 could not beat us. we had a lot of close games with other teams though, so props to them. (rg did beat us on snowblind btw, and after that loss im pretty sure we never lost on sb again on ogl)

this is just my side of the story btw. everyone is posting their side so i might as well say something too.

correction: it probably wasn't dx.

Last edited:
I'm gonna ask the old folk in here because I'm fucking desperate to know.

Did something like LakRabbit ever exist for Starsiege:Tribes?

For the uninformed (there are some actually) it's a form of rabbit (in Tribes 2) where you get bonus points for midairs and hard shots, and the first to 2k wins. It's a hell of a lot of fun in Tribes 2, and I imagine it would be so in the original too.

Help me, I'm going crazy because I know I saw a screenshot of it. I've asked before but people ignore my threads so I have to ask again here.

uh there was team rabbit by KP which gave bonus points for taking down the flag carrier in a myriad of ways in addition to good flag passes

Did it print the bonuses in the chat box too? Because if it did at one point (I know today's iterations use center print) that would explain my craziness.

Someone just told me there was an option to enable weapon/kill bonuses. So I may just never have known about that.

well he was good enough to play on our team in multiple roles.

edit: oh yeah these threads are always cool because lesser players usually come in here and try to rail on people that were on better teams.

i try to never actually attack someone because it's just not my style and i have a lot of respect for t1's greatest players. but you know what? i've played on a lot of teams with a lot of different people...and even played on <|> with you, magus. your team's skill didn't impress me at all. what did impress me was that you guys were cool. ppl like pub, wonderdog, invar. you're coming off as a real cocksucker right now tho. maybe you should stop calling people out and saying they sucked. yes? no?

whatever.

Last edited:
The match on CoN I really believe Coolio was cheating from what slut was saying. slut told me he would goto chase him (he was spamming blind from behing the hill above our base) and at one point he just stopped to watch Coolio. He was chucking mortars (blindly) as he moved and nailing all of them on the stand....then after he ran out of mortars he started chucking grenades while moving blindly behind the hill and all of those hit right on the stand.

So either Coolio was cheating or he was able to pin-point spam the flag stand while blindly on the move. Whether he was using shiva or auto-beacon I have no clue, I'm just telling you what slut saw.

edit: And this post isn't meant to dwindle the fact that =S3= was an awesome team and a ton of fun to play against. One person cheating (or suspicion of it) doesn't nullify everyone else's ability and efforts.

Back