[Official] The Anglers Thread

you can always use a flying gaff. They are like opposing pincer hooks attached to a strong rope, you hook them to your line and they slide down and hook into the fish. You then pull it up with the fish attached.

You will se a lot that are single hooks but they are fiddly and nowhere near as good.

Used over here a lot for rock and cliff fishing, never seen them on a pier but ours are not as high.

msFLmOe.jpg

vDuIWEP.jpg

EgbHFBi.jpg

uAT3SCx.jpg

twin hook version

kPfc0mx.png

By all accounts they are a pain in the ass to use. Tangles and bumping the fish off are very common. Best to have two people, one to hold the rod and the other on the gaff rope keeping it from tangling around the main fishing line.

If you dropped one on a 6-7ft shark off a pier it would probably pull your arms off

Last edited:
I picked up my kayak today. I'm hoping the weather isn't too bad tomorrow so I can take it out for a paddle. If the weather is shite, I'll run out and get the screws I need to put the Scotty mounts on.

I picked up my kayak today. I'm hoping the weather isn't too bad tomorrow so I can take it out for a paddle. If the weather is shite, I'll run out and get the screws I need to put the Scotty mounts on.

Have fun out there! If I remember correctly they have scotty mount pulleys for crab traps. It's nice if you can do it with out tipping. I don't know your boat but it beats pulling it over the rail if you can use it.

edit, this is what I'm talking about.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...qid=1458440821&ref_=sr_1_fkmr0_1&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Last edited:
Have fun out there! If I remember correctly they have scotty mount pulleys for crab traps. It's nice if you can do it with out tipping. I don't know your boat but it beats pulling it over the rail if you can use it.

edit, this is what I'm talking about.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...qid=1458440821&ref_=sr_1_fkmr0_1&sr=8-1-fkmr0

I've used the Scotty pulley before on my friend's boat. Pretty handy after pulling traps off the bottom without one. Great for keeping your lines off the gunnels.

why not just cut the line on the shark

to take a fucking picture?

i dont think you understand how this "sport" fishing works these days.. todays "trophy" is a picture not a fish stuffed on your wall.

anyhow i could possibly keep it. i am learning the asians on the piers will pay you for your fish...i could have got 20 bucks for the eel i caught.

you can always use a flying gaff. They are like opposing pincer hooks attached to a strong rope, you hook them to your line and they slide down and hook into the fish. You then pull it up with the fish attached.

You will se a lot that are single hooks but they are fiddly and nowhere near as good.

Used over here a lot for rock and cliff fishing, never seen them on a pier but ours are not as high.

msFLmOe.jpg

vDuIWEP.jpg

EgbHFBi.jpg

uAT3SCx.jpg

twin hook version

kPfc0mx.png

By all accounts they are a pain in the ass to use. Tangles and bumping the fish off are very common. Best to have two people, one to hold the rod and the other on the gaff rope keeping it from tangling around the main fishing line.

If you dropped one on a 6-7ft shark off a pier it would probably pull your arms off

that looks like it would be perfect. not as heavy as a straight trebble hook style one.

what is the brand of that one in the first pic? i cant find it via google... all i see is regular pole style gaffs when i google flying gaff. where can i get one?

Last edited:
why not just cut the line on the shark

to take a fucking picture?

fuck that! if i have a 4-5 foot shark on a pier, i'm eating that son of a bitch. i fucking love shark meat, and they are super easy to clean, no bones except backbone. good flavored white meat.

any shark above 5 feet though i take a picture and let it go.

if he's going to eat it that's fine but travace seems like the type to take a bunch of selfies while the shark dies on the pier

he'd then just dump it back into the ocean

what scum

hes fishing mostly out of the ocean

im pro catch and release for most freshwater fish but if he wants to keep some eel or shark out of the ocean i dont think it really matters

if he's going to eat it that's fine but travace seems like the type to take a bunch of selfies while the shark dies on the pier

he'd then just dump it back into the ocean

what scum

lol you dont know me at all then. i am the opposite. im the guy who will trade a fish like a trout to the asian guy who is going to eat a bass at the lake

ive let tons of keeps go off the pier already as well (even tho i get crazy looks from the people on the pier).... that eel... at least a dozen sand bass. I never kill anything unless i plan on using it and as much of it as i can in some way. i am probably the 1% who actually lets the ocean shit live.

i did catch this guy the other night and ate him tho.
o6n0n6.jpg

Last edited:
that looks like it would be perfect. not as heavy as a straight trebble hook style one.

what is the brand of that one in the first pic? i cant find it via google... all i see is regular pole style gaffs when i google flying gaff. where can i get one?

Not really sure where you could get one. Silstar supply one here in Australia, they are all brought in from China anyway. Maybe you could get one made?
http://www.silstar.com.au/silstarho...tgroup=Accessories&titleid=CG-1&iid=347&tech=

There is a dude in the US who was trying to make a similar thing but it would only work on fairly small fish and didn't seem to go anywhere with his production idea

You might have more luck with one of these pier gaffs - they are local
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fishing-Bri...123304?hash=item4886421628:g:MzcAAOSw8lBTrYVu
3FjL3gB.jpg

They would still be a real pain in the ass to use though. Maybe if you added a caribiner snap to the top so you can clip it to your main line it would help it hit the mark. You would need to wear the fish out until it was really docile, it would still be tangle city though.

Depending how high your pier is, I would get a long bamboo pole and strap a meat hook or standard gaff head to it. Some people use those poles for pool cleaning but they tend to be heavy and break easily. Bamboo is tough as shit, it wont break.

Also a circular drop net (as suggested) is a good idea. Sharks? People here usually walk them all the way to the beach and then tail rope them. You could try lassoing one from the pier, maybe try one of those poles with a loop like they use for catching alligators.

Last edited:
just stepped up my game and got a baitcaster. its a cheap one but has all the tech of a expensive one. its the bass pro shop pro and was like 70 bucks. also grabbed a savage gear shine glide swimbait. it has a real nice "walkthedog" effect and it sinks real slow.
rjhysj.jpg

all the bass at my local lake are bedding right now as they are coming to the end of spawning season here. i havent been getting any action with the swimbaits but the crawbugs and beaver tails on texas style setups are killin it for me. here is one of the better males i caught and released.
vxm1xw.jpg

its been fun and im excited about this bass hunting season.

ohh but i am still hitting up the bay and pier. i did get one of them pier gaffs for my birthday as a gift but nothing to use it yet. i landed a small sting ray last week tho. it was no fight at all.
23hu8ti.jpg

Last week I caught a 37 Lb Southern Bluefin tuna.

Nearly gave up as my arms were flogged out trying to get it in but I finally got it in.

Ended up with about $1K worth of sahimi grade Bluefin - I ate sashimi/sushi till I was sick of it. Smoked some and fried some steaks, gave 1/4 of the fish away and I still have 14 lb of prime stuff vacuum packed in the freezer!

mJ9yKEa.jpg

Last edited:
Last week I caught a 37 Lb Southern Bluefin tuna.

Nearly gave up as my arms were flogged out trying to get it in but I finally got it in.

Ended up with about $1K worth of sahimi grade Bluefin - I ate sashimi/sushi till I was sick of it. Smoked some and fried some steaks, gave 1/4 of the fish away and I still have 14 lb of prime stuff vacuum packed in the freezer!

where? and i know that some part of the bluefin stomach is $$$... i think there is some place here that sells it like 60 bucks a plate and you get about a gram or so. LOL

Back