no nonsense guide to becoming a better killer by hyung - Page 2 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page no nonsense guide to becoming a better killer
Page 2 of 5
vamp
Veteran++
Old
21 - 10-12-2018, 19:51
Quote:
Originally Posted by spockhammer View Post
i would prefer a total anti-cheat and forcing pure client
what "pure client" are you talking about?

Sponsored Links
spockhammer
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
22 - 10-12-2018, 19:53
the good one

hyung
VeteranXX
Old
23 - 10-12-2018, 20:26
the only solution is meat pit style maps

spockhammer
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
24 - 10-12-2018, 20:52
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsqgiR7XO2g

DC.
VeteranXV
Old
25 - 10-13-2018, 15:50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyung View Post
wisdom comes with time
i am glad u came around 2 ppl from 13 years ago

now how do u suggest we remedy the situation.??????

go back to stock 1.40 and ban any polate and PFT modifications?? r we able 2 detect ppl using something other than stock 1.40??

who decided that netset was okay anyway???

even 1.40 was a cheat but there was no TWL ladder so no1 really gave a fuk i dont think, then i come back a few months ago and every1 is polating aka netsetting and i wonder what happened. who allowed 4 this?? it is a downward spiral in2 tribes hell dystopia where there are no laws anymore

disk and i were just discussing this madness.

it is just a continuous decline in tribe. v. sad

Last edited by DC.; 10-13-2018 at 15:56..
Laughing-Stork
VeteranXV
Old
26 - 10-13-2018, 17:36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC. View Post
i am glad u came around 2 ppl from 13 years ago

now how do u suggest we remedy the situation.??????

go back to stock 1.40 and ban any polate and PFT modifications?? r we able 2 detect ppl using something other than stock 1.40??

who decided that netset was okay anyway???

even 1.40 was a cheat but there was no TWL ladder so no1 really gave a fuk i dont think, then i come back a few months ago and every1 is polating aka netsetting and i wonder what happened. who allowed 4 this?? it is a downward spiral in2 tribes hell dystopia where there are no laws anymore

disk and i were just discussing this madness.

it is just a continuous decline in tribe. v. sad
Nofix gave netset to some aussie dude I believe. People with inconsistent/high pings sort of get screwed by default 1.40 formula. So this dude was looking for a fix. It slowly caught on with some people but Nofix said messing with these settings was probably going to result in worse prediction compared to default 1.40.

Well eventually people started figuring out that jacking pft up was the way to go and now it's sort of a problem depending on how you look at it.

Tribes is an old game with old netcode and slow server tick rates. If you want to keep an old game fresh, you make it feel not so old by helping the netcode out. Obviously people are accustomed to the balance of the weapons on this old netcode, so you have to make some adjustments to keep the same balance with netset in effect.

Tribes is old enough that hardware improvements are also messing with the balance. We have better mice/monitors. More ram. Faster CPU's. 1100fps.

We played a ****load of pickups with a 6 bullets to kill chaingun and still had fun. I think it's 11 or 12 bullets to kill now and it doesn't feel like I'm getting cheap kills. There is a lot of talk about netset right now and how it makes the game easier. But I don't see people putting up incredible stats other than rtcll a few times here and there. We're also comparing today's playerbase(lack of competitive background/atmosphere) to that of the previous generation of tribers. 2004-2009 there were many more elite level cappers around. They were harder to chase. The avg pug had many offensive players with a long competitive background. The avg pug capper today has more pub experience than pug experience.

LT used to be dominated by offense. Slowly we have lost almost all of the elite level offensive players. Today's playerbase is more focused on killing and less on route running and offensive timing.

So I don't think netset is as much as an issue as some believe it to be. I believe there are many things that should be factored in. I'm neither for netset or against it really. I've played on default 1.40. I've used netset. I've even tried out adjusting pft for different weapons. I've had great games using every type of method. I can't say if I've ever made the game easier for myself. I can say that I don't see people doing things I haven't seen before.

groove
VeteranXX
Old
27 - 10-13-2018, 18:05
meh idc

but snows reply doesn't really make sense to me since the second paragraph seems to contradict the 3rd

maybe im just not understanding

Last edited by groove; 10-13-2018 at 21:22..
DC.
VeteranXV
Old
28 - 10-13-2018, 18:28
what ru smoking other than that w33d gr00v

u r definitely at a disadvantage if you dont spend time finding your ideal netsettings. if we went back to 1.40 default those doods who figured out their ideal settings would be harmed the most.

i only remmeber like 2 hpbs playing when it was strictly stock 1.40 circa 2010, one of them being like silverstone and he kicked butt with 1.40, not sure y adding polate to this was necessary?? didn't 1.40 give everyone a pseudo 32 ping feel, regardless of your ping, with the dynamic pft setting in 1.40?? vamp i think is the only hpb playing and he says he uses stock 1.40. sounds like sum *****es just wanted 2 polate so we allowed free 4 all and it gayed things up even further

stork not sure where u r going with the capper/offense argument. since the players are much worse now, it's not ruining the game that badly? this is fair i guess

Laughing-Stork
VeteranXV
Old
29 - 10-13-2018, 18:47
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC. View Post
stork not sure where u r going with the capper/offense argument. since the players are much worse now, it's not ruining the game that badly? this is fair i guess
It's easier for players like rtcll to kill cappers now. Playing against a darkforce/anemix combo would make it a little harder ya?

DC.
VeteranXV
Old
30 - 10-13-2018, 21:57
yep sure, but all things equal he and others have significantly improved due 2 the netset

Laughing-Stork
VeteranXV
Old
31 - 10-13-2018, 22:06
I mean not to nitpick and split hairs but who else has improved drastically enough to say netset is a problem?

hyung
VeteranXX
Old
32 - 10-13-2018, 22:06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing-Stork View Post
Tribes is an old game with old netcode and slow server tick rates. If you want to keep an old game fresh, you make it feel not so old by helping the netcode out. Obviously people are accustomed to the balance of the weapons on this old netcode, so you have to make some adjustments to keep the same balance with netset in effect.
tribes has two kinds of "leads" and you're conflating the two. one of the leads is due to the poor netcode, where the client draws the model in a different place where the server has the hitbox. so you have to "lead" the target by having ur bullets impact an invisible area in front of the player.

there's another kind of lead, which is a natural result of weapons being projectiles rather than hitscan. that is, if i want to hit someone with a chaingun bullet, i have to predict in my head where they are headed and based on their speed and the speed of the bullet i try to make those two vectors intersect.

removing the first lead is pretty much entirely positive, since it's the biggest reason that ping was such a big advantage for so long. it's also the primary cause of all nr's that people see.

the problem with netset is you can put your predictforwardtime high enough where you can remove the second lead by having the game perfectly predict where they'll be. so instead of your brain having to compute the math in your head, now you just have to gain the mechanical skill of being able to place your mouse where prediction is telling you to aim. sure we feel like we're really good because we get lots of hit sounds, and i get why people are attached to this artificial skill inflation, but it's really not in the spirit of the game.

Lyon
VeteranXV
Old
33 - 10-14-2018, 00:58
getting rid of pft or making everyone use the same algorithm seems fine to me. what***8217;s the purpose though? is widening the skill gap between players in the best interest of the community?

i recently switched from 64 interpolate and 128 pft to whatever stork***8217;s default settings are, i think it***8217;s 32 terp and 44 pft. i haven***8217;t noticed too big of a difference with any of my weapons. i want to test if i am better hitting discs on stand with these settings since high pft against high speed cappers can get weird.

i would love to hear everyone***8217;s reason for wanting to force the 1.4 algorithm. why is it better for the community? do we think a wider skill gap is good for the community? or do we think it will shrink the skill gap because forcing everyone onto the same algorithm will hurt elite players who have mastered the netset settings? what***8217;s the goal here?

DC.
VeteranXV
Old
34 - 10-14-2018, 01:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyon View Post
or do we think it will shrink the skill gap because forcing everyone onto the same algorithm will hurt elite players who have mastered the netset settings? what’s the goal here?

ya this but who da fuk knows maybe opposite will happen

DC.
VeteranXV
Old
35 - 10-14-2018, 01:08
also hitscanny weapons r dum thats main reason 4 me. raise skill ceiling etc

darkpiece
VeteranXX
Old
36 - 10-14-2018, 02:14
god damit ppl it is 2018 go play golf or lift weight or some such

hyung
VeteranXX
Old
37 - 10-14-2018, 02:57

Last edited by hyung; 10-14-2018 at 03:04..
hyung
VeteranXX
Old
38 - 10-14-2018, 02:58

Last edited by hyung; 10-14-2018 at 03:04..
Flipp
Veteran4
Old
39 - 10-14-2018, 10:06
pubscrubz n veter00bz still tryna figya out y dem sukk totes chit menny yr n decade hole tyme chasin da
yall gon suk 4eva ur ceelin bout 5ft off da groun pasteez git use 2 it o find a game ur brain not so bad @ :P

DC.
VeteranXV
Old
40 - 10-14-2018, 12:13
at this point with netset per weapon im confused as to why we arent allowing flipp to play with happymod in PUs... but whatever u idiots do watever u want

Page 2 of 5

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page no nonsense guide to becoming a better killer

Social Website Bullshit