Reload this Page [Brink]New FPS from Splash Damage
Page 9 of 57
Dangerdoggie
VeteranXV
Old
161 - 04-18-2011, 15:25
Quote:
Originally Posted by substance View Post
Err, is that a mis-type? Modern 'console shooters' are call of duty, crysis 2, bad company. All of which have recoil. 'Classic pc shooters' are tribes, quake, unreal. None of which have any recoil whatsoever.

Agreed!

This has been brought up and squashed multiple times in this thread, go back and check it out.
This looks more like call of duty, crysis 2, bad company category - so the only reason they didn't add any recoil to the weapons is they're wanting to make a more casual/game shooter.

This latest gameplay video doesn't support any previous argument about the "smart move" system being nothing more than a gimmick. From the looks of it, pulling off a typical crouch jump in a PC fps game would take more skill than wall walking in this game.

Sponsored Links
substance
VeteranXV
Old
162 - 04-18-2011, 15:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerdoggie View Post
so the only reason they didn't add any recoil to the weapons is they're wanting to make a more casual/game shooter.
Heh, ok, well it's pointless to argue over WHY the developer did something, none of us know for sure. What I can say is that Splash Damage has a VERY heavy quake background. The guy in the video(lead brink designer) was a quakeworld nerd who played(and won) in tournies in EU.

Quote:
This latest gameplay video doesn't support any previous argument about the "smart move" system being nothing more than a gimmick. From the looks of it, pulling off a typical crouch jump in a PC fps game would take more skill than wall walking in this game.
I think your point is that the SMART button will be noob-friendly and not for the competitive crowd. I agree! Like I've said before, i think the best Brink players will not use the SMART button at all.

NoFiX
VeteranXV
Old
163 - 04-18-2011, 16:03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemomma5000 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jecDe-rK24

Looks better imo
Looks fun. Might have to grab that one.

Dangerdoggie
VeteranXV
Old
164 - 04-18-2011, 16:16
New RAGE footage, shows off cool atmosphere and very nice looking sky boxes, seems to look like a mash up between Borderlands and Bulletstorm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XGo5BnfU2Y

Dalmar
VeteranX
Old
165 - 04-18-2011, 17:18
Why are we talking about RAGE in here? That game is in direct competition with Borderlands/Fallout 3. Brink is an entirely different type of shooter.

[N]PRIME189
VeteranXX
Old
166 - 04-18-2011, 17:19
Borderlands is awesome, I am enjoying the heck out of it...just got it on steam a few days ago.

Dangerdoggie
VeteranXV
Old
167 - 04-18-2011, 17:34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmar View Post
Why are we talking about RAGE in here? That game is in direct competition with Borderlands/Fallout 3. Brink is an entirely different type of shooter.
Because it's so far out, doesn't need a thread all to itself.

NoFiX
VeteranXV
Old
168 - 04-18-2011, 18:21
Rage looks ****ing awesome.

TheProvider
Veteran++
Old
169 - 04-18-2011, 19:18
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishStix View Post
New trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piV8Ma7QgCQ
**** yes

Got Haggis?
VeteranXX
Old
170 - 04-18-2011, 19:46
I like how all these games (Brink, Gears of War 3) are basically adding v-chat from Tribes and calling it revolutionary

Hellsfury
VeteranXX
Old
171 - 04-18-2011, 20:26
And it's still not as good as the way it was in tribes...

TheGhost
VeteranXV
Old
172 - 04-18-2011, 20:32
Quote:

Brink looks incredibly generic, they're leaning too hard on the setting and the character customizations. It's probably a good thing they're focusing on 8v8 multiplayer because they're going to have a pretty small community playing this game beyond the initial first month rush.
Generic compared to what? Name a shooter that offered something new and revolutionary in the past 3 years?

Everything has been done before, its just doing different combinations that make it interesting. I think we haven't seen anywhere near the limit of the movement, it IS Doom3/Quake4 engine ;o

I don't think you can compare it to anything other than ET or ET:QW honestly. Its too fast and ADHD to be CoD, BF, or anything like that

JM5K:

No **** rage looks better, its ID Tech 5, not 4. Its the next engine beyond brink ;o Brink is using the same one as doom3/ET:QW/Quake4

Last edited by TheGhost; 04-18-2011 at 20:35..
Darklord
VeteranX
Old
173 - 04-18-2011, 21:51
Ghost, you are/were with 20id, right? Have you played it yet? Is there even a beta? If there isn't I may hold off on buying it until people have given a verdict, SD doesn't have a fantastic track record for multiplayer balance recently.

Curious_George
VeteranX
Old
174 - 04-18-2011, 21:51
Quote:
Originally Posted by substance View Post

I think your point is that the SMART button will be noob-friendly and not for the competitive crowd. I agree! Like I've said before, i think the best Brink players will not use the SMART button at all.
Just like the best Tribes players didn't ski? Once people developed skiing scripts in Tribes it wasn't difficult for anyone to do it, but that didn't mean it was easy to do it well.

To me, SMART movement looks like it'll only be as effective as the player directing it allows. If anything, my bet is the best players use it so effectively that tracking them will become very difficult. Also, even a noob-friendly movement button can be difficult to use when you can barely manage in a three-dimensional space both tracking and movement at the same time (which many casual FPS players cannot).

Dangerdoggie
VeteranXV
Old
175 - 04-18-2011, 22:33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhost View Post
Generic compared to what? Name a shooter that offered something new and revolutionary in the past 3 years?

Everything has been done before, its just doing different combinations that make it interesting. I think we haven't seen anywhere near the limit of the movement, it IS Doom3/Quake4 engine ;o

I don't think you can compare it to anything other than ET or ET:QW honestly. Its too fast and ADHD to be CoD, BF, or anything like that

JM5K:

No **** rage looks better, its ID Tech 5, not 4. Its the next engine beyond brink ;o Brink is using the same one as doom3/ET:QW/Quake4
Well Bad Company 2 introduced destructible environments and deformable terrain, something I've been waiting a long time for in an FPS and there's hope that Battlefield 3 will go even further with Frostbyte 2 engine. Perhaps more evolutionary yet other shooters can't even bring themselves up to par with BC2.

If your main focus of gameplay is shooting guns (and realistic looking ones at that) then it would be a good idea to put as much focus on making that experience the best one you can, not having any recoil just speaks volumes of their lack of effort in this area, I wouldn't even expect there to be switchable fire modes for the guns in this game.

Splash Damage wants to toot their horn over the parkour movement system, so far it doesn't look as good as what was done in Mirrors Edge - but maybe they're just holding back and doing a really ****ty job on marketing their game.

Eso
VeteranX
Old
176 - 04-19-2011, 16:53
New footage looks pretty solid. I still have some concerns that will only be alleviated by playing the game or seeing some PC footage, but i have a feeling i'll still play the **** off this game.

FishStix
VeteranXV
Old
177 - 04-19-2011, 16:54
Quote:
zero recoil on the weapons, pretty typical of console shooters these days.

They've over used and abused the sound dampening effect, it's fine to have the sound cut out from an explosion to simulate ringing in the ears but not from just being shot. Too much up and down on the sound effects.
RtcW and W:ET didn't have much recoil, and they were godlike competitive objective-based FPS titles. It takes 2-3x as many bullets to get a kill in these games too. Essentially, this makes it so even when you're backraged, you still have an opportunity to find cover / whip around for the kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhost View Post

This. If you never played an idTech game, you may not realize how fun the physics can be. I believe we are just on the very cusp of beginning to understand how we'll be able to manipulate BRINK's physics.

Eso
VeteranX
Old
178 - 04-19-2011, 17:02
Quote:
Well Bad Company 2 introduced destructible environments and deformable terrain, something I've been waiting a long time for in an FPS and there's hope that Battlefield 3 will go even further with Frostbyte 2 engine. Perhaps more evolutionary yet other shooters can't even bring themselves up to par with BC2.

If your main focus of gameplay is shooting guns (and realistic looking ones at that) then it would be a good idea to put as much focus on making that experience the best one you can, not having any recoil just speaks volumes of their lack of effort in this area, I wouldn't even expect there to be switchable fire modes for the guns in this game.

Splash Damage wants to toot their horn over the parkour movement system, so far it doesn't look as good as what was done in Mirrors Edge - but maybe they're just holding back and doing a really ****ty job on marketing their game.
Didn't the original red faction have destructible environments?

I think splash damage is putting the emphasis where so many developers fail to: game play / team work. Have you ever thought that they might have lessened weapon recoil for a reason? Most of us haven't played the game, nor do we know the reasons behind their decisions.

Given their history, and understanding how much these guys actually care about their games, saying that splash damage did or did not do something out of a 'lack of effort' is laughable.

Let's wait till the game is released before we start throwing out the judgement bombs.

Finally, if they don't 'toot their own horn' (a.k.a marketing), who is going to?

FishStix
VeteranXV
Old
179 - 04-19-2011, 17:05
Quote:

herp derpppp

Eso
VeteranX
Old
180 - 04-19-2011, 17:12
evidently (unconfirmed source) they've lessened traditional visual recoil in exchange for a more extreme bullet-spread system.

Keep in mind this is all console footage, which is a dumbed down version of the game play possibilities on PC anyway.

Page 9 of 57

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Brink]New FPS from Splash Damage

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
odio is a fucking retard , odio is fucking a retard