Why should I support repealing net neutrality? by Flash - Page 5 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Why should I support repealing net neutrality?
Page 5 of 31
clu
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
81 - 11-29-2017, 00:07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Togowack View Post
Net neutrality was intended to shut down intimidate and ultimately imprison Christians, and it will be used instead to clean out the likes of twitter facebook and youtube from being able to ban or otherwise silence opposition to their leftist agenda.

And if that doesn't work these big businesses will be losing in court anyways if conservatives have the balls to take them there.

Gg kurayami

Sponsored Links
clu
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
82 - 11-29-2017, 00:19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tele View Post
why didn't the FCC do their ****ing job Amadeus?

answer that simple question for me
I assumed it was a function of the party elected into office.

Quote:
then can we can work on why the government can never do their ****ing job
Most progressive message boards chalk it up to the influence of money in elections. Conservatives seem to think that George Soros is more of a danger than established business interests in the US who’ve been in bed with alphabet soup since they started canning it in the 1950s

Captain Tele
Veteran³
Immigrant
Old
83 - 11-29-2017, 00:30
Quote:
Originally Posted by clu View Post
I assumed it was a function of the party elected into office.
since 1775 that has been the best excuse going

u would think we would invent a new excuse at this point

most of my life it has been BUuuuuuuuuuuuut Bush

since Reagan

Captain Tele
Veteran³
Immigrant
Old
84 - 11-29-2017, 00:32
Quote:
Originally Posted by clu View Post
Most progressive message boards chalk it up to the influence of money in elections. Conservatives seem to think that George Soros is more of a danger than established business interests in the US who***8217;ve been in bed with alphabet soup since they started canning it in the 1950s
soros just one of many

worthless billionaires a dime a dozen these days

says those u cry about koch brothers r us

Amadeus
VeteranXX
Old
85 - 11-29-2017, 13:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hamster View Post
Except that it also allows ISPs to better manage their networks and hence keep costs down, meaning they don't have to increase their prices to stay in business.
NN already makes exemptions for reasonable prioritisation of data, e.g. VOIP traffic over downloads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hamster View Post
I'm not saying they wouldn't price gouge... but they could do that already if they wanted to. The whole "pay extra for faster content from X and Y" angle is a nice scare tactic, but it'd be a whole lot simpler for them to just say "**** it, everything now costs an extra ten bucks". Consumers are only really willing to pay up to a point.. go too high and they'll find alternatives.
- It's not a scare tactic, it already happened.
- Lots of consumers have no alternatives available
- Why settle for shaking down customers when you can shake down both customers AND third party content providers? And between Joe Blow and Netflix, who has more money to extort?

Ztir
VeteranXX
Old
86 - 11-29-2017, 14:13
There***8217;s basically no point in arguing w/ isp cronies like him and pagy

It***8217;s the bad consumers fault for actually using the services they agreed to pay for

Greedo909
VeteranXV
Old
87 - 11-29-2017, 14:44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tele View Post
soros just one of many

Tom 'walnut sauce' Steyer

WikiLeaks - The Podesta Emails

Quote:
To: [email protected], [email protected]
CC: [email protected]
Date: 2015-04-11 20:28
Subject: Re: Walnut sauce?ing

Indeed, Mary. .

I'm coming to town the week after next and will bring some walnuts!

Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2015 03:18 PM Pacific Standard Time
To: John Podesta <[email protected] >
Cc: Tom Steyer; Jim Steyer
Subject: Re: Walnut sauce?ing

Walnut growing northern CA surely knows and celebrates walnut pasta sauce? Actually what surprises me is that we haven't already served it to you.

On Apr 11, 2015 3:51 PM, "John Podesta" <[email protected]<m ailto:john.podesta@gmail. com>> wrote:
It's an amazing Ligurian dish made with crushed walnuts made into a paste. So stop being so California.

JP
--Sent from my iPad--
[email protected]<ma ilto:[email protected] om>
For scheduling: [email protected]<mailt o:[email protected]>

> On Apr 11, 2015, at 5:45 PM, Jim Steyer <[email protected]<mail to:[email protected]>> wrote:
>
> Hey John,
>
> We know you're a true master of cuisine and we have appreciated that for years ...
>
> But walnut sauce for the pasta? Mary, plz tell us the straight story, was the sauce actually very tasty?
>
> Love to all the Podestas from the Steyers! Cheers,
>
> Jim

havax
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
88 - 11-29-2017, 14:52
yep, he's a ****ing pedophile/child trafficker

no wonder he wants to get rid of trump so bad

MC Hamster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
89 - 11-29-2017, 16:28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
NN already makes exemptions for reasonable prioritisation of data, e.g. VOIP traffic over downloads.
I'm referring to the concept, not the specifics of a piece of legislation. My background is in the technical aspects, not the legalese.

Quote:
- It's not a scare tactic, it already happened.
- Lots of consumers have no alternatives available
- Why settle for shaking down customers when you can shake down both customers AND third party content providers? And between Joe Blow and Netflix, who has more money to extort?
By "scare tactic" I'm just saying it's one small aspect of it that's being highlighted. Yes, it's a legitimate fear, but there's a whole lot more to it than just that that doesn't get any attention. Just trying to balance things out a little.

As to "no alternatives available".. if that's the case, and the big bad ISPs will stop at nothing to screw over their customers, what's stopping them from doing it already? If the whole point of this is so they can make a whole bunch of network changes then charge their customers an extra $10/mo for "premium content", why the **** not just forget about the expensive network ****, **** the premium content, and just slap the extra money on everyone's bill?

MC Hamster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
90 - 11-29-2017, 16:31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztir View Post
There’s basically no point in arguing w/ isp cronies like him and pagy

It’s the bad consumers fault for actually using the services they agreed to pay for
Yes, why bother listening to someone who has a couple of decades experience in the industry if the things they say don't reaffirm your existing views? The outrage!

jgrange
Veteran++
Old
91 - 11-29-2017, 18:08
Quote:
Originally Posted by havax View Post
yep, he's a ****ing pedophile/child trafficker

no wonder he wants to get rid of trump so bad

Trying to get rid of Trump's buddy, Epstein, to lessen the competition. Can you have an anti-trust lawsuit against you for trying to monopolize the child trafficking ring for elites at Mar-a-Lago?

groove
VeteranXX
Old
92 - 11-29-2017, 18:11
hey hamster whats the oversub ratio these days on ISPs

surely they're not selling the same backhaul to 100 people and then getting upset when those people use that thing they thought they were paying for

Ztir
VeteranXX
Old
93 - 11-29-2017, 18:28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove View Post

surely they're not selling the same backhaul to 100 people and then getting upset when those people use that thing they thought they were paying for
Decades of industry experience will tell u that it’s not the fault of a service provider for overprovisioning resources and being unable to deliver what they are contractually obligated to and thus having to upgrade their infrastructure to meet the demand of their paying customers, it’s netflix and the consumer for using the service they paid for

havax
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
94 - 11-29-2017, 18:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrange View Post
Trying to get rid of Trump's buddy, Epstein, to lessen the competition. Can you have an anti-trust lawsuit against you for trying to monopolize the child trafficking ring for elites at Mar-a-Lago?
nice try.

u must support the pedophile/sex trafficking going on, u sick ****.

i knew i didn't like you.

MC Hamster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
95 - 11-29-2017, 21:31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove View Post

Oversubscription rates have certainly gone up since the days of dialup, no question. If you think about it though, that's not really that surprising. It's very much more a mainstream product now, so while the usage habits of the more tech savvy types out there probably haven't changed a huge amount, there's now a much larger 'mainstream' audience that aren't nearly as hard on their bandwidth as those power users are.

Realistically, what you need to look at is if links are congesting, where they're congesting and when. If there's no congestion going on, then it doesn't really matter how much edge bandwidth that link is theoretically serving, because it's keeping up. It's not really a conscious strategy though (and never has been) to maintain some specific ratio, because it's kinda meaningless as you move through the network.

As an example.. back in the dialup days, a Cisco AS5300 could serve up to 240 v.90 modems, for a total theoretical downstream throughput just short of 16Mbit/sec. They had fastethernet connections to serve as backhaul, so 100Mbit there. Obviously, that link is only ever going to be massively undersubscribed. In a larger deployment, you'd aggregate all those links together in a fasteth card in some larger router somewhere, and then have a long-range link via ATM, SDH(/SONET for you US types) or similar.. you'd likely take those multiple 100mbit interfaces, and bring all the traffic back over an STM-1 @155mbit.. looking at the overall traffic in there, how high it peaks and how much headroom you have left, you might still have room to expand and add more NASs into the mix, or you might have to add in another backhaul link if it's congesting. By the time you get to inter-carrier peering links, all thoughs of how many end users they're serving is entirely out the window, and you're just looking at raw traffic levels - not only are the numbers out there changing too quickly, but there's generally going to be more than one path to take, so it's entirely possible that a whole slew of those customers aren't actually using that link anyway, because they're sucking down traffic from some other network, or even internally. Basically, it's way to messy to try to deal with it like that.

These days, broadband connections are always-on, and generally inactive. Faster connections are much more bursty - the days of starting a download and leaving it running at max speed for days at a time are quite limited outside of things like steam, so there's generally a big spike of data then a lot of silence. If that spike winds up congesting something, it's only going to be for a very short time and the user likely won't even notice. I'm not trying to suggest congestion isn't a problem or anything, but with that greater inconsistency in second-to-second data usage, it's a different kind of congestion to the good old "useless for hours at a time" typical of an oversubscribed link. Also worth noting that while there's absolutely still a demographic that does make use of that "saturation downloading", that uses vast quantities of data from digital distribution platforms, from bittorrent, etc.. they're a tiny minority of all the connections out there now. Usage patterns have changed since those days now that internet access has become much less of a niche product.

Come to think of it, 'contention ratios' were much more commonly used to describe the ratio of end users to available dial-in lines (in the hope to avoid throwing busy signals) than raw bandwidth figures. Not actually being able to get connected was a far more common grievance than not having enough bandwidth once you were there.

Point is no-one's ever really sitting down counting the amount of theoretical bandwidth at the edge, in distribution and core areas except at a very high level for 'ballpark' design. That sort of analysis might be useful in reporting, but it's of little consequence to the actual operation of the network.

MC Hamster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
96 - 11-29-2017, 21:44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztir View Post
being unable to deliver what they are contractually obligated to
Have you read your contract with your ISP? Can you tell me just what it is they're contractually obligated to provide you with?

Look, I'm not saying they're saints or anything (far from it, the folks making these decisions are business types that are generally a pack of bastards), but getting all caught up in hyperbole and crying about the sky falling actually detracts from the much more legitimate concerns out there. Calling out doomsday scenarios that can be largely dismissed casts similar doubts about much more genuine issues.

Again though - I'm here in Australia and the market isn't exactly the same. We don't have any legislated network neutrality (never have) and while we certainly do have some significant issues in the industry, I can't think of there ever having been the sort of bundling, "premium service" sort of marketing that goes on in the realm of subscription TV and that's splashed around as the poster child of what will happen without it.

In fact, what's tended to happen here is that while it's very common to have plans based around different tiers of monthly download quotas (to help predict and manage those overall bandwidth requirements), the trend in more recent years has been towards zero-rating content. EG you might be allowed a total of 500GB downloaded through the month before your connection gets shaped (or they start charging you more), but Netflix traffic isn't counted toward that total (presumably because the provider has worked something out with Netflix to get that traffic in a more efficient way). Similarly for streaming music services, or whatever else is gaining popularity. The provider will go through an analyse the sources for their traffic, look at those expensive ones and see if there's not a better way to deal with that - again, via CDNs, caches, by direct peering.. it fosters co-operation between access and content providers to get the best solution at the least expense and deliver it to their mutual customers.

groove
VeteranXX
Old
97 - 11-29-2017, 21:53
ah the good old 'up to' clause

the escape hatch for when you over-promise and under-deliver

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
98 - 11-30-2017, 03:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McAc8qujkfo

HumDumpin
ReeeingRainbowXV
Old
99 - 11-30-2017, 07:49
Quote:
Originally Posted by havax View Post
nice try.

u must support the pedophile/sex trafficking going on, u sick ****.

i knew i didn't like you.
You talk about this subject a lot, must be close to ur dark soul, as if u participate. Hail satan.

clu
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
100 - 11-30-2017, 12:05
how many man (?) hours were wasted looking through spirit cooking emails, only to result in a story about black girls missing from DC with no follow up regarding how many of them were found elsewhere or safe.

what do they waste it on now? i'm sure robert mercer has plans for the clowncar brigade

Page 5 of 31

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Why should I support repealing net neutrality?

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
can't have enough bad ideas , emo jerkoff olympics , want more bad laws soooo bad , want small govt soooo baaaad