[TrailerPark] Crock Pot Pulled Pork

I've never found that using top shelf booze instead of the cheaper stuff makes much difference in a BBQ sauce. I usually stick to Jack or tequila based sauces myself.

this was so good, made it last weekend. It was weird though i have a 4.7lb butt and only ended up with about 1.5lbs of actual meat the rest was fat. anyway the sauce was the shining point, going to use it on slow cooked ribs this weekend.

Making this today. Pork's in the pot now, gonna make the sauce soon. I'm taking this to a party tonight so it had better be excellent :)

I put a tiny bit too much of the barbeque sauce on the pork, so it was a little soupy at first. Once it cooled down though....WHOA. Awesome recipe, highly recommended, repped ++.

I made this sauce this afternoon, though used 1C ketchup, 1/2C frank's hot sauce, and 1/2C red wine vinegar.
it's pretty fantastic, took a spoonful and felt three different levels of flavor

I have a serious contender to the BBQ sauce here, it is a duplicate of a commercial recipe that is absolutely amazing on ribs.

South African Monkey Gland Sauce.

2 Medium Onions (approx 300g)
50g Butter
50g Sliced Garlic
10g Sliced Chilli (to taste)
90g Port Wine
30g Worcestershire Sauce
10g Tobasco Sauce (to taste)
180g Tomato Ketchup
180g Fruit Chutney
Hickory Smoke (to taste, maybe 1tsp)

Slice the onion finely, saute the onion in the butter until well softened and translucent, do not caramelise as this will make the sauce too sweet (but hey, if it floats your boat do as you please). Add the chili and garlic and sweat off with the onion. Measure the liquid ingredients into the saucepan of onion and allow to simmer together for 5 minutes or so, then using a stick/immersion blender blend until smooth.

Last edited:
2. Salt the roast relatively liberally all over while you heat a pan big enough to hold it to medium-high heat. Add the oil to to the pan, and once it's hot, add the roast. Grind the black pepper over the roast while it's in the pan. Sear each side of the pork until it's golden brown.

?

have any of you w/ smaller families tried freezing this? i find when i make it i end up having to eat pulled pork for 3 or 4 days straight for every meal at home. it's tasty, just gets old. wondering how it might freeze and if it would just be gross after a thaw

Absolutely you can freeze it.

One thing people like to do is shape it into sandwich-sized patties and bag it individually before freezing. Then you can heat it up in single serving portions whenever you feel like a sandwich.

Some of the juice/sauce will leak out when you re-heat it; just stir it back into the meat.

I made a 5 pound butt for the Super Bowl and had 8 people over. All I had left after the game was enough for one sandwich. :-(

I'm just messin.

For whatever reason, I have always got overwhelmed when approached by a big piece, be it shoulder, butt, etc, of Pork, not having any experience with it nor knowing what to do.

Can this be done in a Le Cruset in an oven if one does not have a slow cooker?

Yes, and in some ways it's easier because you can brown it right in the dutch oven before moving it to the oven. Generally the oven temp should be at least 225, but plenty of people braise at 350 with good results too. There are a lot of people who swear by the oven instead of the slow cooker, I just like the convenience of the crock pot.

Put the lid in the oven while it's heating up so when you cover the pot it doesn't sap heat from it, and check on the meat every so often.

As far as big cuts of meat go, if they're fatty and covered in connective tissue, braise them. If they're lean, or covered with just a cap of fat, you can roast it. With both cooking methods, salting and browning them on all sides is recommended first.

Last edited:
I've never brined something I was going to slow-cook, but I've heard of people doing it. I just don't see the point, because you're adding the juice back into the meat when you make the sauce, and it's thick enough that it stays soaked into the meat.

Anytime I do a roast, I try to brine it at least overnight if I have the time and forethought.

Fair enough

Send me some of that BBQ sauce (sounds great....but) so many fucking ingredients!

lol

I gotta try this with a mexican flare, love pulled pork tacos

the sauce is definitely worth the trouble, if you can call it that. and it's mostly things you have in your kitchen already.

Back