[security] Cameras 2019 [official] [|3r4c|<3t5]

Plasmatic

Contributor
Veteran XX
Goddamnit, how hard is it to make a goddamn 24v ac ip camera with a push button for a doorbell in 2019/.

and don't say ring, I will cut you.

I picked up a  energizer branded  doorbell cam at the local menards and the fucking thing won't work without the app, and forget connecting it as an ip cam. Even though it's running a server on port 80. :stab:

Any recommendations for a decent wide angle ip camera?

^^^^^hahahaha

This thread is relevant to my needs.
We are looking for a security camera to watch who is going in and out of an automatic gate parking area in our TJ apartment complex.

We need one that records and we can play back later.....
What's easiest cheapest way to record... wireless to a laptop?

any of these cameras have their own internal memory that wipes itself every few days? We only need to look if there ever was a problem (like someone messing with the motor of the automatic gate...)

Last edited:
I use Arlo cams in the house. Turn them on when I leave. Good motion and audio detection with fast push notifications and 7 days of events recorded and uploaded for free. Does the trick.

They don't say anything more than 'Free Cloud Storage'. What does this mean? The Arlo says '...Arlo Pro comes with Arlo Basic service that lets you keep the past 7 days of motion- and sound-triggered recordings, for up to 5 cameras...'
Is the blink similar? I don't find Blink explaining 'Free Cloud Storage' anywhere, but I'm curious because they're cheaper than Arlo.

They don't say anything more than 'Free Cloud Storage'. What does this mean? The Arlo says '...Arlo Pro comes with Arlo Basic service that lets you keep the past 7 days of motion- and sound-triggered recordings, for up to 5 cameras...'
Is the blink similar? I don't find Blink explaining 'Free Cloud Storage' anywhere, but I'm curious because they're cheaper than Arlo.

blink sends video to your phone.

^^^^^hahahaha

This thread is relevant to my needs.
We are looking for a security camera to watch who is going in and out of an automatic gate parking area in our TJ apartment complex.

We need one that records and we can play back later.....
What's easiest cheapest way to record... wireless to a laptop?

any of these cameras have their own internal memory that wipes itself every few days? We only need to look if there ever was a problem (like someone messing with the motor of the automatic gate...)

blink send vid to your phone. you can play back any time.

blink send vid to your phone. you can play back any time.

Thanks

NM
[strike]How long do they hold onto the video? stream to phone or download?[/strike]

Guess they store all vids up to a year for free... not bad

Last edited:
I use ispy SeVeReD. Www.ispyconnect.com it will connect to almost anything with a camera. USB webcams, laptop cameras, ip cameras, capture cards, even old cell phones. It's free software, with a paid service for cloud storage and remote administration.

Live view of the cameras right on the screen, or you can minimize. I run the tribes master, a tribes game server, ispy, wamp, and dump files on an old i3 computer in the corner of the office. An old laptop should run it fine. I have 2 ip cameras connected through a switch in the garage, and 2 cheap usb cameras in the office. One clipped to an outside window.

Many doorbell cameras are locked down so the only way to use is through a subscribed service, ring, etc..

Just get ispy, an ip camera or even a cheap webcam and you'll be good to go. Hard wire with ethernet cable if you go with ip camera

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

NGFM has the camera stuff sussed, hope he chimes in
Yeah, I'm here. Was waiting to see what doorbell cameras everyone came up with. Seems like they all suck. I never did one because it requires a subscription.

I installed Wyzecams under the roof overhang of the garage. If you have a security light above your garage, then you can run power from it and install cameras at the corner garage overhang.
Wyze | Making Great Technology Accessible | Smart Home Devices
The little $19.99 camera. There is also one that pans for $29.99 call Pan. They can be installed upside down. Then you get a memory stick for each, up to 128 GB.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MicroSDXC-Adapter-MB-ME128GA-AM/dp/B06XWZWYVP
They record continuous 24/7 to the memory, and anytime there is motion, they send it up to the cloud as 13 second clips. There is a 5 minute delay before they do it again so it doesn't spam the cloud with data. The cloud storage is FREE at this time. Wyzecam is a startup company, that's why the cameras are priced low and the cloud storage is free. These cameras use a standard 5v USB plug (a phone charger brick), that goes to a USB-C. The cameras are not rated for outdoor use, but I've had mine outside for over a year and they are working great. There are even housings on Amazon for outdoor use (birdhouse). On Amazon search for the term Wyzecam. Run an extension cord from a security light tacked up under the overhang of your garage, like running Christmas lights, except in this case, you have cameras.

Pictures of my driveway.
http://www.quatraine3.com/tw2018/IMG_2428.JPG
http://www.quatraine3.com/tw2018/IMG_2441.JPG
http://www.quatraine3.com/tw2018/IMG_2442.JPG

Pictures of my front door
http://www.quatraine3.com/tw2018/IMG_2430.JPG
http://www.quatraine3.com/tw2018/IMG_2443.JPG

The motion detection is done with pixel by pixel comparison. I get false alerts when cars drive by at night and the light shines in the detection zone. Wyzecam knows they are getting a lot of false alerts, so they've recently added AI to recognize humans. It kinda works, but not perfect yet. I have my driveway cameras capture the alerts, but turn off the notifications on my phone so I don't get spammed.

My advice is to cover your front door and driveway with multiple cameras. They can be outside under the roof over hang, or indoors pointing out windows. They you can put a Pan camera inside your home so you can look around the room (pan). The big challenge is figuring out how to run power to the cameras and hide the wires. Wyzecams have an extra USB connector on the back of each camera so they can be daisy chained together. I use this on my outdoor cameras, one cable goes to the first camera, then I daisy chain to the second. Amazon has long 25 foot USB-C cables which is an idea. Run power from your garage or have an electrician install a security light and plug.

Last edited:
I don't need security cameras. Or any other type of security for that matter. Benefits of living in a third world shithole that also happens to be one of the safest cities on earth. Oh, what a paradox :rolleyes:

Maybe your camera is rusty like everything else you own?

I want a damn picture of NGFM smiling damnit.

Mitch, NK has very low crime as well from what I hear. I wonder why. You're a little bitch willing to trade away freedoms for security. I'd never put my female or gay family members in the positions you do. Have to be mindful of what you say and do at all times. The state will destroy your life in seconds. Makes me think you are a selfish prick.

Last edited:
Back