[Polls]

SkivviS

Veteran X
I think more people than admins should have the ability to create a poll in their own created threads.

Ban poll by Isaac the Bold - Page 3 - TribalWar Forums

It is discussed some in this thread.

Something like vets only, or vet 5 and up or something like that.

Afraid the polls will be rampant? Perhaps. Especially in the first couple weeks, but there are ways of handling the rest of it. If one or two people keep spamming polls, then those individuals could lose their privileges. People can still ignore posters too.

Unless there is a code problem or a server issue with it then I think that's the only reasonable reason to keep too many people from making polls.

I hope the admins decide to give it a go again, just think of all the "which is worse" polls. Besides, GD is pretty much a mess anyways.

i love how people say it would be a mess...are you or a bunch of monkeys sitting at TW headquarters tallying the votes?

dont vote on something if you dont want to...but i like data on things and i like seeing numbers associated with ideas.

The problem with polls is that each time someone votes, it bumps the polls; this pushes down active threads without polls. I would be more open to the idea if votes did not bump poll threads, only replies. Additionally, the last time we tried this, we did get a shit load of absolutely retarded polls and we have no ability to remove polls on a per-user basis.

part of GD though is the fact that it's total shit
polls would add data to the shit

Can you divorce poll bumping and reply bumping at all on this forum?
Is it way too much stupid coding and work to do?

that's a very valid point rayn

any possibility of changing how the voting bumps the thread?
and i know there will be a ton of shit polls at first, but they will die off if left alone. think about how many threads were about rep when it came out, or how many people talked about rep...it's a non-issue i think

rayn, would this not fix the issue of bumping the thread on vote?

vBulletin Manual - Poll and Thread Rating Options
Poll and Thread Rating Options
vBulletin Options > vBulletin Options > Poll and Thread Rating Options
Maximum Poll Options
Maximum number of options a user can select for the poll.

Set this option to 0 to allow any number of options.
Poll Option Length
Maximum length that a poll option can be.
Update Thread Last Post on Poll Vote
If you set this option to 'Yes' the thread's last post time will be updated when a vote is placed, thereby returning it to the top of its parent forum listing.
Note:
This option can cause confusion. The last post time of a thread will be changed with no visible post.

Required Thread Rating Votes to Show Rating
This option specifies the number of thread rating votes that must be cast of a particular thread before the current rating is displayed on forumdisplay.php and showthread.php.
Allow Thread Rating Vote Changes
Allow users to change their original rating of a thread

Last edited:
Within the first page of a non-admin making a poll. 2 pages tops.

Sorry Skivvis, you've still got a few months to go :(

Rayn: this shit will pass. Just let us have dumbass polls for a few weeks and then after it'll all be good. We gotta get it outta our system.

Last edited:
Experiment? We tried polls back in 2000. I should know :D "Poll: Hottest Chick Alive:" got like 40,000 replies.

If you give coke to 12 year olds, yeah they go crazy for 10 mins... but they settle down. Polls for vetx only :thumbsup:

it's been several days and it hasnt been out of control yet, so that's good.

i still dont understand how people can get upset at it getting "out of control" :shrug:

if you see a poll and you dont want to vote in it, then dont. like seeing that poll icon takes away from the tw experience....whatever that may be

Back