Guild Wars 2

weird i had no idea

you'd think it's a basic problem they would have solved even in the most elementary of game studios/game design

its standard practice that the server is in control in FPS games... no idea why its not in mmos... esp since mmos arent subject to the rigorous realtime physics of an FPS (therefore it shouldnt be a huge burden on the server/cpu).

but if they insist on having the client tell the server what its state should be at least solve the flying hack by doing a simple check of player Z against terrain Z every few second or so.

you can tell gw2 took some serious effort... and like what 8+ yrs in dev? its a shame they forgot the basics.

6 years. you're confusing with D3 har har

i prefer it this way if it speeds shit up and allows the servers to allow more people in each area

its not simple but its not that complicated either. even with client controlled state the server can do random sanity checks. after all it still has to recieve client state to pass it along to other clients. so if hax0r client A is trying to tell clients B-Z "HEY IM UP IN DA SKY" maybe mama server should check in once in a while and tell A to STFD!

and D3 took 10 years from what i heard :)lol:)

Last edited:
Figures. I saw those in the stores but wasn't sure how they were earned. Figured it was either currency-bought or end-game stuff.

You can buy gems with real money... which is how ArenaNet is ultimately going to keep the lights on in this MMO....

Or you can earn them in-game converting silver or by quests tournaments ect.

they didnt have anything like that in GW1 and it's still going 10 years? later.

i bought gems @ 18 for 4 gold and they went up to 7 gold. i spent a few and it all went down to 4.5 gold but now it's up to 6.5 gold.... except i dont need gold so whateva

I see, so that is where the money comes in. Never played GW1 but I figured there was some cash component outside buying the client. I figured client sales alone couldn't have been the only revenue stream.

I imagine the cost of upkeep for GW1 supporting hardware infrastructure was a lot less then GW2.

90 percent of a players in-game experience is spent in a client-side instance and not in a persistent open world shared with a 1000 other people concurrently

The awesome thing about Guild Wars 2, is that the game in no way pressures you into buying anything to maintain a worthwhile playing experience.

Even Tournaments that require a Ticket from the Black Lion to participate in... they routinely give those away for free in the reward chests from free tournaments

Last edited:
but if they insist on having the client tell the server what its state should be at least solve the flying hack by doing a simple check of player Z against terrain Z every few second or so.

They did something like that in BWE3. It resulted in causing everyone to fall over randomly or take damage whenever you used a leap skill (anything that makes you leave the ground).

I'm assuming they took it out of the game before release and haven't put it back in/fixed it yet. Instantly killing yourself would be a pretty big deterrent. :lol:

well obviously it takes more thought than always-stick-to-ground lol. for example track if player used a levitation/jump/whatever skill recently and give a little leeway (but not too much) during those few seconds.

I imagine the cost of upkeep for GW1 supporting hardware infrastructure was a lot less then GW2.

90 percent of a players in-game experience is spent in a client-side instance and not in a persistent open world shared with a 1000 other people concurrently

The awesome thing about Guild Wars 2, is that the game in no way pressures you into buying anything to maintain a worthwhile playing experience.

Even Tournaments that require a Ticket from the Black Lion to participate in... they routinely give those away for free in the reward chests from free tournaments

i like that... gives it a standard kungfu movie plot vibe :D

is there a tw guild? im on C(M)D

im a casual player though

ya anyone wanting guild invite post up your in game name, someone will sort you out

we will think highly of you if you come on TS instead of being anti social faggots :d

Well, I knew that was coming.

On the plus side, you can now discover right from the bank. To those who never took up cooking, you don't know what it was like trying to mix/match 100 ingredients with only 20-30 available bag slots. Both crafting and discovery sucked dick before those "from bank/collections" changes.

Thief
Descent of Shadows: This trait’s effect can now only trigger once every 8 seconds.

This was overdue as well. But they shouldn't have put an internal CD on it. Where anet fucked up was this would give a stacking timer on the stealth granted, rather than refresh the timer on stealth. So if you fell 3-4 times in succession, you'd have like 15 seconds of stealth instead of 3-4 seconds.

Last edited:
Rocket Boots: This skill is no longer usable underwater. This is a temporary change until we can figure out why players can launch themselves into the sky using this skill.

lol

Back