Reload this Page [Religion] Today I went to church
Page 2 of 2
BlueSoxSWJ
VeteranX
Old
21 - 03-07-2011, 02:35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSmoothe View Post
Also it was a Catholic sermon and we seriously stood up and sat down no less than 8 times. What is the difference? Is there some kind of unspoken rule that certain prayers have to be said standing up? These are all the kinds of questions I've wondered, I could give a rats ass about the question of life and god and all that other junk, I just wanna know why some prayers are with palms facing up etc.
Taking this as a serious question, the "rules" are that you stand for the Gospel reading, and you don't sit when the Host is out on the altar. There are also all sorts of rules about genuflecting versus bowing and all that, but it's been at least six years since I've been to church and I don't remember much of it.

Sponsored Links
bam
VeteranXV
Old
22 - 03-07-2011, 02:40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
I hope he took his wife with him.
Nah, he just ruined her life by leaving her jobless, with three kids, and a huge house she cannot pay for. I felt really bad for the kids (13, 11, and 5), but I had zero remorse for the mom. I will say it was definitely the most uncomfortable funeral I have ever attended...

Bughead
VeteranXX
Old
23 - 03-07-2011, 02:55
The modern reason for making you stand up so much is so you don't fall asleep.

orbital 123
VeteranXX
Old
24 - 03-07-2011, 03:10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSmoothe View Post
My future brother and sister in law asked me to go to church today. Being the polite boy I am I agreed.

During the priests sermon time he talked about how the Christians needed to be educated in their history so that when Athiests brought up The Crusades or The Inquisition they'd be able to knowledgeably debate these topics and show the Athiests they've been indoctrinated into misunderstanding the facts.

What exactly is this guy talking about? Sure people are entitled to their own opinion but I've never heard other claims to what the Inquisition and the Crusades represented. It is my understanding that in that era the only people that kept records were mainly people associated with the church (monks etc.)

My conclusions:
This is the first time I've gone to church in longer than I can remember and I'll be happy if I never go back. To Fngr, Orbital, Tantrum Rex and all the other outspoken churchies, do you ever challenge what you're being taught?
I don't know what church you went to but a good church is rare to find these days.

11 years of sermons online. Jack Hughes is a great preacher. If they don't preach from the Bible, then they aren't really preaching. Of course if you don't know have any desire for Christ then it doesn't matter what is preached.

Sermons for 2011 - Sermons - Calvary Bible Church, Burbank, California

cael
VeteranXX
Old
25 - 03-07-2011, 03:32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bughead View Post
The modern reason for making you stand up so much is so you don't fall asleep.
And cause you can't play games on your phone while standing.

Vanster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
26 - 03-07-2011, 04:18
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbital 123 View Post
I don't know what church you went to but a good church is rare to find these days.

11 years of sermons online. Jack Hughes is a great preacher. If they don't preach from the Bible, then they aren't really preaching. Of course if you don't know have any desire for Christ then it doesn't matter what is preached.

Sermons for 2011 - Sermons - Calvary Bible Church, Burbank, California
This is the best post you've made since being born again.

TooSmoothe
VeteranXX
Old
27 - 03-07-2011, 16:16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSoxSWJ View Post
Taking this as a serious question, the "rules" are that you stand for the Gospel reading, and you don't sit when the Host is out on the altar. There are also all sorts of rules about genuflecting versus bowing and all that, but it's been at least six years since I've been to church and I don't remember much of it.
Thanks for the replies. I'd rather ask here than ask people who will think I'm becoming genuinely interested in going to church. Don't want to be confusing people now

Swami
VeteranX
Old
28 - 03-07-2011, 16:34
What I find hysterical is that many people cry about having to stand in church (actually, few places actually have real sustained standing) but they'll happily stand through a 3 hour football game or live concert.

What's really hysterical is that I bet if you asked a group of people who said they were devout Christians that many of them would have the same complaint... if they actually stood while in church.

While the RCss have some standing, Anglicans about the same, traditional Lutheran's a bit less - it's really only the Orthodox that remain standing. I'm curious about what happens in the Mormon temple... I know in their wards they do a lot of sitting, but the temple is pretty secret. Anyone know?

TooSmoothe
VeteranXX
Old
29 - 03-07-2011, 16:38
I don't see what's so hysterical about that...pretty sure southern baptists run around like a chicken with their heads cut off.

Swami
VeteranX
Old
30 - 03-07-2011, 16:44
I have a strange sense of humor, but in case I wasn't clear:

It makes no sense for people to complain about standing before God for an hour or two a week when they'll happily do it for their football team.

Vanster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
31 - 03-07-2011, 17:40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swami View Post
What I find hysterical is that many people cry about having to stand in church (actually, few places actually have real sustained standing) but they'll happily stand through a 3 hour football game or live concert.

What's really hysterical is that I bet if you asked a group of people who said they were devout Christians that many of them would have the same complaint... if they actually stood while in church.

While the RCss have some standing, Anglicans about the same, traditional Lutheran's a bit less - it's really only the Orthodox that remain standing. I'm curious about what happens in the Mormon temple... I know in their wards they do a lot of sitting, but the temple is pretty secret. Anyone know?
I was raised mormon and have been to the temple lots of times (baptism for the dead). You don't have to stand, but you do have to wear all white. white jacket, white necktie, white socks, etc. No color.

Russian orthodox church stands for the entire service. All the men stand on the right, women on the left, and the women have to have their heads covered. Most Alaskan villages are Russian Orthodox, due largely to the missionary work of John Veniaminov and Jacob Netsvetov in the early 1800's.

hyung
VeteranXX
Old
32 - 03-07-2011, 18:11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swami View Post
I have a strange sense of humor, but in case I wasn't clear:

It makes no sense for people to complain about standing before God for an hour or two a week when they'll happily do it for their football team.
football team is more entertaining than god is

sorry

football teams bring in huge revenue for the state and raise standards of living in the city they belong

Page 2 of 2

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Religion] Today I went to church

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
yarr matey i banged katie