Artifact

hastie

Veteran X
Artifact is to release on November 28th. It is a Dota inspired card game created by Valve in conjunction with Richard Garfield, creator of Magic. The game is played across three boards(lanes) similar to Dota, in which you can destroy the enemies 40 health tower in 2 of the lanes to win, or you can just go hard and kill their tower in one lane, and then kill the 80 health ancient that spawns in place of the tower. The game features hero cards with signature spells and cards that if killed will sit out a round and then rejoin the game, that can also have items equipped that are purchased with gold that is gained from killing the enemy's creeps and heroes.

Here is a well made video that explains in good detail how to play:

It is still in closed beta, but to help them better understand which cards are potentially over or under powered, they have been having tournaments for money amongst the closed beta players. One of those tournaments is occuring in an hour from this post on twitch.tv/btsartifact as well as steam.tv and will have casters/commentators, etc.

I value Noxious's opinion on the matter. He's the type of person to speak highly of a game when it's deserving of praise even if he doesn't personally play it.

I'm not getting that vibe with Artifact. The gameplay does sound boring. Worse is that this game's existence has always come across as a means for Valve to rake micro-transactions both in-game and on the secondary market. Ever since TF2, Valve has been profiteering from their cosmetic RMAH and now seek to go full Diablo 3 with their 'secondary market' for Artifact. They present it as if they're doing everyone a favor and most seem to eat it up.

JrnpZSc.gif

midair has had 5.9 average player count the past 30 days... That makes me sad. All that work those guys put into it.

So the closed beta opened up to people who got keys at PAX and the Dota Invitational tournament. People were in uproar because it seemed that there was no way to play the limited draft format for free without using event tickets. The subreddit and other forums were in uproar and then a day later valve made an update post basically quashing everyones complaints. 11/18 Beta Update

Game comes out on the 28th, here's a good reddit post on what your $20 will get you: Breaking down whatt in Artifact. : Artifact

and a good post showing multiple resources for more info: Comprehensive must watch/read Artifact content guide! : Artifact

A lot of people are having fun with community tournaments that websites and random people are starting. You can have tournaments with you and your friends, and instead of just playing randoms in matchmaking (which isn't implemented yet but they plan on adding something) you can play in a single or double elimination tournament for bragging rights/fun.

Can't wait for release. A lot of people are loving the game because it rewards solid decision making on where you place your heroes more than just getting lucky on drawing the right cards.

Released as of now. This will be a good game, I normally don't get hyped up about game releases needlessly.

Back