Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited

just finished the codex alera series, each book is better than the one before, something i think is rare in series

definitely recommend

Resurrecting this thread from the dead...

I've been going on a Sanderson binge lately...

Read Elantris (well.. listened to it on Graphic Audio). I enjoyed it but you can kind of tell it was his 1st (i think) book. Some of the plot elements are kind of predictable or clunky.

Most recently I read Alloy of Law, which is set some 300 years after the Mistborn trilogy. It has a bit of a western/gunslinger feel to it. One premiss that I liked is that over these 300 years the bloodlines have mixed and there are no longer any mistborn and the most powerful individuals seem to be limited to 2 powers, 1 allomacic and 1 ferruwhateveritwas (no more godly changing planet orbit powers). Looks like Sanderson is planning to make another trilogy in this setting as things are not completely resolved at the book's end.

Just started Warbreaker.

Resurrecting this thread from the dead...

I've been going on a Sanderson binge lately...

Read Elantris (well.. listened to it on Graphic Audio). I enjoyed it but you can kind of tell it was his 1st (i think) book. Some of the plot elements are kind of predictable or clunky.

Most recently I read Alloy of Law, which is set some 300 years after the Mistborn trilogy. It has a bit of a western/gunslinger feel to it. One premiss that I liked is that over these 300 years the bloodlines have mixed and there are no longer any mistborn and the most powerful individuals seem to be limited to 2 powers, 1 allomacic and 1 ferruwhateveritwas (no more godly changing planet orbit powers). Looks like Sanderson is planning to make another trilogy in this setting as things are not completely resolved at the book's end.

Just started Warbreaker.

I'll read anything of his, really. Loved Alloy, hope he can keep up the output needed for this + his Way of Kings series.

Yeah, I re-read Way of Kings recently, focusing mostly on Kholin & Kaladin's chapters. I love so many things about that book... and it boggles my mind that there are 9 more like it to come.

Looking forward to him wrapping up WoT so that he can turn more focus towards this series.

good bump, im lookin for a new book to read

for those who liked the revelation space series, new alastair reynolds book comes out june 5th :eek:
edit: ok i guess it was published in jan of 2012, but its out on kindle june 5th

absent would like this one:
He described the first novel of the series as featuring a utopian future where Africa is a leading technological power. Blue Remembered Earth was initially scheduled for publication in 2011, but was ultimately released in January 2012.

Last edited:
Diamond Age was pretty awesome.

Not quite as flashy as Snow Crash but the quality of the writing is vastly improved. The same brilliant visions of future tech/culture that Snow Crash would lead you to expect.

I have no idea how Cryptonomicon was such a good book. Trying to describe it makes it sound so boring and it is a huge book but once I got started on it I couldn't put it down.

good bump, im lookin for a new book to read

for those who liked the revelation space series, new alastair reynolds book comes out june 5th :eek:
edit: ok i guess it was published in jan of 2012, but its out on kindle june 5th

absent would like this one:
He described the first novel of the series as featuring a utopian future where Africa is a leading technological power. Blue Remembered Earth was initially scheduled for publication in 2011, but was ultimately released in January 2012.

I don't really get all of the love for Revelation Space.

I finally got around to reading it last year. It was OK.

If it had been writing in the 60s or something I could see how it would have had revolutionary ideas but it is only a 10 year old book.

I am not really a book reader, but I loved the X-Wing series and some of the other Star Wars books. If I liked them what else is out there you guys would recommend?

I am getting tired of TV and movies. I don't play games anymore, so I am running out of things to do.

Any of you read this yet?

I was interested, but didn't buy since it isn't finished.

Diamond Age was pretty awesome.

Not quite as flashy as Snow Crash but the quality of the writing is vastly improved. The same brilliant visions of future tech/culture that Snow Crash would lead you to expect.

I have no idea how Cryptonomicon was such a good book. Trying to describe it makes it sound so boring and it is a huge book but once I got started on it I couldn't put it down.

For whatever reason, I couldn't get into either of these. And I am interested in cryptography so Cryptonomicon should have been a winner, but 300 pages later and reading about putting undersea cables down was just getting a tad bit too dry.

I don't really get all of the love for Revelation Space.

I finally got around to reading it last year. It was OK.

If it had been writing in the 60s or something I could see how it would have had revolutionary ideas but it is only a 10 year old book.

Reynolds is not so good with characters, imo. I read all 3 and the first and second are fun enough, but the third with all the religion crap was kind of a chore and the "big reveal" wasn't anything special.

He did write another book called Century Rain that is a lot less space opera and a lot more readable. I also read Chasm City which is based off the Revelation Space novels and it was also a better read than the Revelation Space trilogy imo.

I am not really a book reader, but I loved the X-Wing series and some of the other Star Wars books. If I liked them what else is out there you guys would recommend?

I am getting tired of TV and movies. I don't play games anymore, so I am running out of things to do.

Timothy Zahn's Conqueror's Trilogy was good space opera/thriller novel.

Conquerors' Trilogy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All of his "hard-boiled ex soldier who plays the Humphrey Bogart private dick role" type of novels are fun.

Same goes for Peter F Hamilton's Greg Mandel series (hard boiled hero stories). His space opera the Night's Dawn Trilogy starts out pretty amazing though it is long and gets a bit uneven...the imagination in the universe that he creates is, IMO, unmatched.

The Edenist society in the Night's Dawn Trilogy is so freaking awesome. Just the whole contrast and interaction between the Adamists (use traditional technology) and the Edenists (use mostly genetically engineered bio-tech including living ships and sentient space stations) is awesome.

Plus....Al Capone.

Probably the coolest space opera technology and societies anyone has come up with, IMO. Definitely amongst the most fun.

Last edited:
Back