TW Writers - Evaluate this segment of writing

We have words like gum for a reason: they're specific. A breath augmentation object could mean mints, cigarettes, or a piece of shit. It just makes what you're saying sound stupid and obtuse.

BINGO!

That is why I started saying that, because I didn't want to eliminate any of the possibilities as usually when I need one, I will take anything that will improve the taste in my mouth/breath.

You need to learn basic grammar and spelling before attempting to become a writer.

A writer, yes. However to publish a book, no. Although it wouldn't hurt, as my spelling has always been horrible, and my grammar not too far behind. However my desire to tell a story far outweighs those two deficiencies and will make those but small hills.

One thing I know would help is to read more. Unfortunately I fear reading. As a person always coming up with stories, creating characters, and so forth, it is hard for me to be original when surrounded by so many sources. I may, for example, take someone else's writing style, which ultimately I would rather forge my own.

Interestingly, I can watch movies without them clobbering my thoughts for weeks on end, but again, this is not the case with novels. When I read a novel I get way too into it and that becomes the center of my thoughts for some time.

So admittedly the only book I have ever read is that which has been assigned to me in a class! And now here I am, trying to write a novel, and ofcourse the lack of experiance shows. So what do I do? Try to get enough of a style down, and enough of the plot/characters fleshed out that I can then go through and refine it as my skills develop. I feel if I do this the other way around, I won't have an original piece of work, and it won't be my piece of work. As is I am walking on egg shells writing in the fantasy novel genre.

Last edited:
A writer, yes. However to publish a book, no. Although it wouldn't hurt, as my spelling has always been horrible, and my grammar not too far behind. However my desire to tell a story far outweighs those two deficiencies and will make those but small hills.

Sorry but no publisher will put out a book with terrible spelling and grammar.

Sorry but no publisher will put out a book with terrible spelling and grammar.

Well duh.

Spelling and grammar are both things that editors (whether it be friends and family, or professionals) can help to weed out, and suggest fixes.

However I believe one who aspires to the lofty realm of writer should be able to spell and write grammatically correct.

That aside, I could self publish the trash I have right now, but I probably won't break even.

Back