Prime Rib Cooking Method?

Goofy

Veteran XV
Bought a 2 bone standing rib roast (cradled, about 3.5lbs) however have not cooked one before.

Do I pan sear it and then slow roast it?
Start the oven hot first and then drop the temp?
Start oven low then hot at the end?

Help me not fuck this up :happy:

cook it as low as possible, then dry it off and sear it in a screaming hot pan, slice and serve with the drippings. bonus points if you have a probe thermometer to monitor the internal temp.

searing first will cook the meat on the edge longer because raw meat is very wet. searing afterwards is quick because the outside of the meat is already dried out and ready to brown quickly.

ovens take a long time to adjust temperature and are often finicky so i dont like the 'start low, end hot' thing.

2 bone is not that big so it should not take very long to cook regardless.

im not talking about the oven holding an even temp, most of them are pretty good at doing that

im talking about having even temps in different spots of the oven, especially if you're holding it in a rack over a roasting pan. you'll almost never get even browning in an oven, and air is a terrible conductor of energy, so it takes longer to brown anything in an oven regardless, while the meat continues to cook internally.

wrapping it in paper would just steam the meat and give you no browning whatsoever.

Came out pretty well, but the wife didnt take it out until the probe read 125 so it came out medium-rare instead of mmmm rare.

537cro.jpg

Also, screw starch, I wanted me a slab of beef.

that looks awesome. imo mrare is better than rare for fatty cuts because it gives the fat a chance to melt. save rare for filets.

Back