For those who have been gone: Necessary Skills by haniblecter - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Eve Online
Reload this Page For those who have been gone: Necessary Skills
haniblecter
VeteranXX
Old
1 - 10-26-2005, 13:06
***UPDATE: This info is still good, and will probably be good for a long time. 9/26/06

Either frigate 5 is done or you just finished Focus (tier 2 willpower).

Whatever the reason, you now have no idea what to train.

The absolute necessary ones are Engineering and Electronics, both the skills adn the skill tree's. These are called fitting skills, and, couple with various other skills in the tree, help you cram more onto your ship. Weapon Upgrades reduces the CPU need of turrets and is very important for those CPU deffecient races. Its tier 2 skills equivelent, Advanced Weapon Upgrades, is invaluable as it reduces the powergrid need of turretsby 2% per level--argueably more important since PG is often the limiting factor.

While alot of the skills you need to train are fairly obvious (you're either shield tanking or armor tanking and need the corresponding skills for the mods, or want a certain family of weapons) there's alot of skills that arent required by items that are still EXTREMELY important for the passive benefits they confer to your ship. These skills are absolurely necessary for miner, hauler or fighter alike.

Electrical: Targeting your enemy is important, the non-fitting skills here help that.

Long Range TargetingL: Skill at long range targeting. 5% Bonus to targeting range per skill level. Prolly the least useful on this list, but every little helps

Signature Analysis: Skill at operating Targeting systems. -5% Bonus to ship targeting speed per skill level. Very important, esp. when flying BS's that have extremely slow targeting times

Targeting: Skill at targeting multiple targets. +1 extra target per skill level. Its tier 2 skill is multitasking. Why you'd want to target 10 things at once is beyond me. BUT, in large fleet battles, you can set your autotarget number up high, and not have to find enemies, only those who are targeting you. The autotarget default # is 2, you can change this by pressing Escape, and finding the general/generic tab, at the bottom left is what you want your default to be.

Engineering: The two cap skills here are WTFPWN important. If you dont have them, get and train to 3 ASAP. For shield users, there's also tons of goodies to help you along.

Energy Management: Improved skill at regulating capacitor capacity. 5% Bonus to capacitor capacity. Battles in EVE are won and lost by capacitor. He who runs out first, dies first. Same can be said for mining: he who cant run his Max turret # of minerII's, gets no cookie.

Energy Systems Operation: Operation of capacitor boosters and other basic energy modules. 5% Bonus to capacitor recharge rate per level. We may think that this is the lesser of teh two capacitor skills, but you're wrong. The bonus is applied BEFORE module capacitor recharge bonuses are applied. So that 25% boost to cap recharge is actually factored BEFORE your cap recharge mods (mid slot, 15%) and capacitor power relays (low slot, 20%). This = a HUGE bonus to recharge.

Shield Compensation: Improved skill for regulating energy flow to shields. 2% less capacitor need for shield boosters per skill level.

Shield Management: Improved skill at regulating shield capacity. 5% Bonus to shield capacity.

Shield Operation: Operation of shield boosters and other basic shield modules. 5% Bonus to shield recharge rate per skill level.

Tactical Shield Manipulation: Operation of shield hardeners and other advanced shield modules. Bonus: 5% reduced chance of damage penetrating the shield.

Gunnery: The bonuses in here ONLY apply to combat. So controlled bursts doesnt make your MinerII's that less greedy.

Controlled bursts: Allows better control over the capacitor use of Weapon turrets. Grants a 5% per level reduction in capacitor need of Weapon turrets. Large hybrids take 30 capacitor to shoot. Imagine 7 large hybrids firing once every 10 seconds, and you see the reason why this skill is very necessary.

Motion Prediction:Improved ability at hitting fast moving targets. Grants a 5% Bonus per level to Weapon turrets tracking speed. This is a HUGE skill. Bigger turrets have problems tracking little ships. Little ships going 4km/s have trouble tracking large ships. This skill helps both instances and is why its the most important of the Gunnery skills.

Rapid firing: Skill at fast turret firing. +4% Bonus to Weapon turrets speed. RoF increase. This is a duh.

SharpShooter: Skill at long-range turret firing, 5% bonus to weapon turret optimal range of all sorts. Little explanation:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush Bug
At your optimal range or closer, the only thing that determines whether you hit or not is your turret's tracking speed versus the bad guy's tranversal velocity. (ie: how fast he is moving across the point of view of the turret) Even if the bad guy is right next to your ship, if he's moving slow enough, you can paste him with those big 425mm rails or what-have-you.

At optimal range plus anywhere within your falloff distance, you have anywhere from 99% chance of hitting (just outside optimal) to 50% chance of hitting (at the edge of your falloff distance). This is further modified by tracking speed.

You can hit ships all the way out to optimal + falloff + falloff. However, the second falloff reduces your base chance to hit even further, from 50+ at optimal + falloff to near-0% at optimal + falloff + falloff. Again, tracking further modifies this chance to hit.

No matter what range your target is at within the bounds of optimal + falloff + falloff, though, you always have a base 1-3% chance of landing a wrecking shot.
This official guide kicks my own ass: http://www.eve-online.com/guide/en/g26.asp

Surgical Strike: Knowledge of spaceships structural weakneses, 3% bonus to weapon turret damage of all sorts. Just learned about this skill....need to get it.

Tragectory Analysis: Advanced understanding of zero-G physics. 5% Bonus turret accuracy falloff. Ditto with this one...gogo EVE character manager! As explained above, falloff has to do with accuracy. Beyond your optimal + falloff, you expirence a 95-99% accuracy hit, along with a reduced chance of getting the good damage modifiers.

Navigation: These skills benefit your immensly and should be gotten asap, much like learning skills.

Acceleration Control: Improves speed boosting velocity. 5% Bonus per level to afterburner and microwarp drive speed.

Evasive Manuervering: 5% reduction in ship inertia. This allows yout o accelerate quicker.

Fuel Conservation: Improved control over afterburner energy consumption. 10% reduction in afterburner capacitor needs.

Warp Drive Operation: Better warp drive energy efficiency. -10% capacitor drain per level when warping. Important for smaller ships cause of their far smaller capacitor.

Trade: You really only should get trade up to 2, and retail to one. That way, you have more than enough order slots to sell whatever you need, without having to worry about it for quite some time. If however you horde everything and demand that all your 'assets' be 'liquid', you may need more than 12 slots. Getting Retail (8 slots per level) would be reccomended.

Mechanic: Repair systems are pretty important for armor tankers. With each level of Repair Systems, you decrease the time it takes to repair. This seems like a duh, but if all you're doing is tanking for mining ops, this'll actually suck more cap away because with a large repper, you dont need a whole lot of amror repairing potential against 3 cruisers. Hull Upgrades increases your armor by 5% per level while Mechanic inceases your Hull HP.

Another CCP made guide, but on missle damage, is avialable here:
http://www.eve-online.com/guide/en/g27.asp

I cant really speak for Missle passive skills, but they are as follows:

Missile Bombardment: Proficiency at long range missile combat. 10% bonus to all missiles' maximum flight range.

Missile Projection: Skill at boosting missile bay propulsion systems and manipulating guided missiles' jet engines. 10% bonus to all missiles' maximum velocity.

Target Navigation Prediction: Proficiency at optimizing a missile's flight path to negate the effects of a target's speed upon the explosion's impact. 10% decrease per level in factor of target's velocity for all missiles.

Rapid Launch: Proficiency at rapid missile launcher firing. 3% bonus to missile launcher rate of fire per level.

Guided Missle Precision: Skill at precision missile homing. Proficiency at this skill increases the accuracy of a fired missile's exact point of impact, resulting in greater damage to small targets. 5% decreased factor of signature radius for light, heavy and cruise missile explosions per level of skill.

I have more trained into trade than I do missles. While I have an idea what they all do, I have no willpower (6 base, OHNOES!) to actually write anymore for this guide.

All these skills are VERY neccessary to being competitive, their accumalative effect on your performance is what wins many many battles. Most people over 2 months have them all at 3-4. Get them ASAP.

CLIFFS: Get the cap skills you damn non-readers. Energy System Operation and Energy Management.

Last edited by haniblecter; 09-26-2006 at 13:30..
Sponsored Links
S0C7
VeteranXV
Old
2 - 10-26-2005, 13:14
Great post. Everybody read or I ****ing pod you.

adrian ng
VeteranXX
Old
3 - 10-26-2005, 13:51
Good thing you don't know what my name ingame is.

cpcricket
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
4 - 10-26-2005, 16:43
Nice, thank you.

Found a few in Navigation that I had missed/forgotten about.

Ambush_Bug[DTM]
VeteranX
Old
5 - 10-26-2005, 19:09
What determines a hit in combat?

Turrets:
At your optimal range or closer, the only thing that determines whether you hit or not is your turret's tracking speed versus the bad guy's tranversal velocity. (ie: how fast he is moving across the point of view of the turret) Even if the bad guy is right next to your ship, if he's moving slow enough, you can paste him with those big 425mm rails or what-have-you.

At optimal range plus anywhere within your falloff distance, you have anywhere from 99% chance of hitting (just outside optimal) to 50% chance of hitting (at the edge of your falloff distance). This is further modified by tracking speed.

You can hit ships all the way out to optimal + falloff + falloff. However, the second falloff reduces your base chance to hit even further, from 50+ at optimal + falloff to near-0% at optimal + falloff + falloff. Again, tracking further modifies this chance to hit.

No matter what range your target is at within the bounds of optimal + falloff + falloff, though, you always have a base 1-3% chance of landing a wrecking shot.

Missiles:

Your base range for the missile is flight time * flight speed. Against targets moving much slower than the missile's flight speed, you will always hit. Targets moving faster can outrun the missile.

However, three things will affect the damage your missile does.

Signature Radius: If you are firing a large missile at a very small ship, you will do reduced damage. This does not work in reverse (light missiles don't do extra damage against large ships) The larger the disparity between the missile and the ship class it's hitting, the greater the damage reduction.

Explosion Speed: Ships moving at an appreciable percentage (50% or more, generally) of your missile's explosion speed will take reduced damage. Somewhere on the forums there's a big honking formula for all this, which I have yet to find, not being a missile user.

And then there's plain old damage resistance, which applies to turrets as well.

cpcricket
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
6 - 10-26-2005, 19:43
Has anyone using missiles, confirmed that the following two skills actaully work? I can't find anywhere ingame (after training) that shows anything other than base numbers. Also are the first two skills listed per level like most other skills? It neglects to state it in the description.

Missile Bombardment:
Proficiency at long range missile combat. 10% bonus to all missiles' maximum flight range.

Missile Projection:
Skill at boosting missile bay propulsion systems and manipulating guided missiles' jet engines. 10% bonus to all missiles' maximum velocity.

This one also seemed a nice skill to lessen the effect mentioned by Ambush's "What determines a hit"

Target Navigation Prediction:
Proficiency at optimizing a missile's flight path to negate the effects of a target's speed upon the explosion's impact. 10% decrease per level in factor of target's velocity for all missiles.

haniblecter
VeteranXX
Old
7 - 10-26-2005, 22:00
Thanks guys, added both your gunnery explanation and the expanded missle skill explanations.

NAT Mav
TW Racing++
Old
8 - 10-27-2005, 03:26
I don't think you'll see any difference in the printed numbers anywhere in-game for the missle skills, but you should be able to see an increase in range with improved velocity and flight time.

Lockout
VeteranX
Old
9 - 10-27-2005, 12:12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAT Mav
I don't think you'll see any difference in the printed numbers anywhere in-game for the missle skills, but you should be able to see an increase in range with improved velocity and flight time.
There is, actually. Just fit a missile launcher and load up some missiles, and while still in the fitting screen, right click on the picture of the missile and hit "Show Info."

And those missile skills do work. With only level 2 in both Missile Bombardment and Missile Projection, I can hit from 54km with torps, as opposed to the base 37km. They're pretty nifty.

haniblecter
VeteranXX
Old
10 - 12-16-2005, 20:38
:bump:

haniblecter
VeteranXX
Old
11 - 01-23-2006, 11:18
bump

FalseMyrmidon
1700+
Old
12 - 04-09-2006, 20:46
Now all I need is someone to log on my account and train these skills for me for the next few months so I can have fun in this game someday.

Le Sean
VeteranXV
Old
13 - 06-25-2006, 19:09
are there any other gunner skills that increase damage or precision besides the ones listed?

I'm working on medium turrets and want to sex those up before I move onto training for my next ship

Wrathchild
VeteranXV
Old
14 - 08-09-2006, 15:40
Is this information more or less valid still?

haniblecter
VeteranXX
Old
15 - 09-26-2006, 13:27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild View Post
Is this information more or less valid still?
Yup.

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Eve Online
Reload this Page For those who have been gone: Necessary Skills

Social Website Bullshit