Anyone ever play Dragon Force? Something like that might make a cool Tribes game by Sir Lucius - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Anyone ever play Dragon Force? Something like that might make a cool Tribes game
Page 1 of 2
Sir Lucius
VeteranXX
Old
1 - 04-13-2003, 06:09
If you've never played Dragon Force, it's an old game for the Sega Saturn. You're a commander of a kingdom and the game works as such that you recruit solders (they are like your resources) put a commander or general in charage of your differnt armies, and then you have battles. The battles start with both teams on a side of the map, and then the battle begins and the armies rush at each other. The generals stay on their respective side, and they're basically soldiers who are powerful as ****. They can cast spells, beat the **** out of soldiers, all sorts of fun stuff. If both armies are destroyd and the 2 commanders are still standing then they face off in a duel.

I think an evolved version of this would be pretty cool in the Tribes universe. It's not an RTS, and it's not a turn based game. There's no resource collecting, it's basically just fighting.

I dunno about multiplayer, but you could make a kick ass single player game for once. First you'd pick your Tribe (like blood eagle, diamond sword, etc.) and then you'd play as the top lead commander/leader/general of that Tribe (multiple ways to play through the story then too -- replay value if you will). So here you'd have a bunch of differnt campaigns, and perhapes have some overall plot that ties everything together.

You'd start your game by establishing bases, trying to improve your territory etc. Then you have standing armies at your outposts and such for when you get attacked. You can use your tribal universal funds to improve on these bases and stuff, buying additional turrets, or spending money on heavy armors, mine fields, engenieers (dudes with repair packs that fix your turrets and gens). And it wouldn't be only 16 people -- more like 60+.
Then you form attack squads that go out to take over or destory enemy bases. What's cool here is that before battle you'd have a commanders map, and you'd establish the actions all your troops would take. Like this is your blitz squad, then on my mark alpha team attack, cloakers move in, etc. You'd make it easy to set up a battle plan in under 30 seconds but still give a lot of options to do it.

Also you'd have squad commanders or generals. You can recruit differnt ones and some are better than others and they'd have special abilites and stuff. The idea is that each side would have one, and if both sides run out of troops you settle it in a duel. Actually you'd probably only do this if both tribes were attacking. Like if one was in transition (not at a base) and another moved onto them.

See the world map would be set up kind of like Risk. But you'd have to set up bases to claim territores otherwise you lose a defensive advantage. And to get more tribal monies you'd have energon cube mines or some **** that you can claim to increase funds (gives a good objective). You could have other objectives too, I dunno, like a rail system for better troop transport or something -- whatever.

Oh, and you'd have enviorment bonues. So blood eagle would fight best in lush enviorments, cotf in the desert, starwolf in the snow, and ds in a magma tunrda or something. I wouldn't do it on all differnt planets b/c personally I've always found it kind of stupid how the earth is so diverse in it's enviorments but in sci-fis they always have 1 planet 1 condition. You could come up with something clever in the story as to why all the tribes are battling over the planet.

Oh and you could add hercs. Uhh...I dunno, maybe make them part of the story, like they're found burried in the groud and you resurect them making them very rare or some**** -- I'm not a story writer so whatever. You could add a pirate tribe too, b/c pirates rock.

I know my description is a little sketchy, but it'd be nice to have a new game out there that is at LEAST a somewhat original type. And if tribes 3 is sucessful you can play off it's fame.

Battle, btw, would happen in real time, and you'd be more of an observer. And they'd look totoally awesome and wicked and last about 5-10 minutes. I suppose you could do multiplayer where each player picks a tribe and then you give them starting lands and they go for it. Could be lots of fun. Instead of doing round robin tho you could have every player move at the same time, bringing in the possibility of 3+ army battles. Might be pretty damn cool if you ask me.

Sponsored Links
Sir Lucius
VeteranXX
Old
2 - 04-13-2003, 06:18
jesus ****ing christ...this forum never gets whored ;|

I'm going to draw some pictures to illustrate my point.

Sir Lucius
VeteranXX
Old
3 - 04-13-2003, 06:37

You could make it easy for users to make their own worlds, but this is just an example in like a 4 player game or something. I dunno, I hope you get the idea. See, each player during the move phase would decide what armies they're going to move, and then all their armies move at once when the phase is over and then the battle begin.

I suppose that could mean a game could take up to 4 hours to finish, but I don't have a problem with that -- aoe2 rocked imho

Sir Lucius
VeteranXX
Old
4 - 04-13-2003, 07:18

see, battle would be like this -- but on a more epic scale. Note the dude in the background firing a MEGA SUPER GUN BLAST. It's cuz the generals have special abilities.

See, other stuff you could do is outline the parts for soldiers, like pack, weapon selection, etc. and then you can decide how many of each you want in your armies. So you can make defensive armies, fast moving armies, hit and run armies, base destroying armies, etc. etc.

I don't know yet if you'd control the perspetive on your general in battle tho. I think yes maybe, cuz it'd be pretty fun to use your speical TW abilities. Plus when you duel it'd be for real and might end up being cool :]

And I wouldn't worry about copying as a general -- that'd be too hard to do cuz the last thing you want to do is die so you'd probably want to stay behind and let your troops soak up most of the damage. When the time comes you may have to move in and take on the enemy commander yourslef tho :]

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
5 - 04-13-2003, 07:34
I like pictures.

Sir Lucius
VeteranXX
Old
6 - 04-13-2003, 07:36
Even ever play masters of orion?

I have a suspicius feeling this may be like that but I assue you THIS game would be much more fun and action driven.

I never played those games tho so really I wouldn't know anyways.

Trident_RX
VeteranX
Old
7 - 04-13-2003, 07:44
Reminds me of what the Great Tribal War mod is trying to do.

Actually it isn't a bad idea. Take Total Annihilation for example, a multiplayer feature like thier's would be fun, except it would be tribes that do the fighting instead of individual players.

(If you are not familiar ill spell it out quick: Basicly they would have a sector and the 2 sides would own nearly half the planets. each planet was connected to other planets. When planets of one side connect to a planet which connects to the other side it would be contested. A contested planet would be fought over by commanders on the opposing sides, after enough wins the planet would go to the side with the most wins.)

In the case of Tribes all 4 factions would control a certain number of planets, tribes would fight for the sector. Each tribe would declare an affilation and fight for that side. When a tribe takes over a sector, a new sector is brought up to be fought over.

If Tribes3 won't support this, it's ok. As long as they have some sort of http support where you can have tribes3 load up an html page (not visually just the text). Then someone along the road can make a mod that does this. =)
It would be great as an addition of some sort =) leaving the old way of hosting and playing the game the same, just adding this on.

rage_sniper
Unregistered
Old
8 - 04-13-2003, 07:44
Kinda reminds me of Starsiege. Sounds fun, but very involved. Im sure all of you know as well as I do that there are many people out there that take away from involved games. For example when you a great game of CTF going and some idiot Tks your base. Sounds like it would be great with the propper players.

Sir Lucius
VeteranXX
Old
9 - 04-13-2003, 07:56
Well the idea is you'd only really have 2-8 players in multiplayer. Think of it more like a board gmae...stragety game...ehh, it's not really defind the gameplay I'm comming up with. That's my angle tho -- I want to do something that's NOT a fps, rts, rpg, etc. etc. etc.

I guess my idea is kind of like a bastard hybrid.

rage_sniper
Unregistered
Old
10 - 04-13-2003, 07:58
Quote:
Originally Posted by rage_sniper
Kinda reminds me of Starsiege. Sounds fun, but very involved. Im sure all of you know as well as I do that there are many people out there that take away from involved games. For example when you a great game of CTF going and some idiot Tks your base. Sounds like it would be great with the propper players.
I ment Starcraft

PyroTeknik
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
11 - 04-13-2003, 09:59
There's an edit button, you know.

Wtf Lucius, what's the point of fighting if all you can do is charge a full frontal assault?

Unless you can somehow flank, it'd be boring. Just watching two armies obliterate themselves might be fun a couple of times, but it'd get repetitive soon enough.
The whole "tactical" aspect seems more like a rock-paper-scissors game with a couple more options.

rage_sniper
Unregistered
Old
12 - 04-13-2003, 10:03
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroTeknik

Wtf Lucius, what's the point of fighting if all you can do is charge a full frontal assault?

Unless you can somehow flank, it'd be boring. Just watching two armies obliterate themselves might be fun a couple of times, but it'd get repetitive soon enough.
The whole "tactical" aspect seems more like a rock-paper-scissors game with a couple more options.
Hey..back off I am very new to the forum or any forum for that matter. I like constructive crit., but yours seems kinda pointed.

PyroTeknik
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
13 - 04-13-2003, 10:04
...the **** does "pointed" mean?

rage_sniper
Unregistered
Old
14 - 04-13-2003, 10:08
Quote:
...the **** does "pointed" mean?
it means you have no tact.

Sir Lucius
VeteranXX
Old
15 - 04-13-2003, 10:52
Quote:

Oh, you can change battle formation in dragon force to flanks and such -- it depends on the commanders you have.

And no, it's not like rock paper scissors, it'd be way more random than that. The idea is that it's like Risk -- you've played Risk before right? Well I'd say that's the fundementalism of this game. The army eqiping, commander control, and tactical planning is to try to overcome those bad rolls you get (think Risk).

Maybe you don't like the idea, but I came up with it at like 7am on a sunday morning so it's not like it's gold or anything. Really this is a statement on how I'd like to see something NEW as far as gaming genres go.

FSB-SPY
VeteranXX
Old
16 - 04-14-2003, 10:37
I wish they would make a "MechCommander" (the original, sprite graphics.. not the second installment with its crappy polygons) in the Starsiege universe.

Ceiling_Fan
Forum Ranger++
Contributor
Old
17 - 04-14-2003, 10:40
WE ARE THE SKULL CHILDREN! WE ARE IMMORTAL!!

Good Heavens!

xpdnc
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
18 - 04-14-2003, 11:12
why should he use tact? he isn't here to babysit you, and he certainly isn't here to make your day a happier event

SquirrelOfDeath
VeteranX
Old
19 - 04-14-2003, 13:54
rofl. Ya pyro, get some tact for chrissakes.

<3

rage, make a few posts in the general forum if you wanna see *real* lack of tact in action

arcadus
VeteranXX
Old
20 - 04-21-2003, 03:46
reminds me of shattered galaxy

Page 1 of 2

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Anyone ever play Dragon Force? Something like that might make a cool Tribes game

Social Website Bullshit