VeteranXX
Old
545 - 03-14-2018, 01:40
shut up, wesley

Edofnor
VeteranXX
Old
546 - 03-14-2018, 01:56
o man i was going 2 post the clip, but i found this quality reddit content in the search:

Quote:
Originally Posted by “Shut up, Wesley!” did irreparable damage to Wesley Crusher’s role in TNG
I’ve been inspired to post by the circulation of a recent /u/wil Wheaton tweet that’s been disingenuously paired with a Patrick Stewart tweet from a few years ago, and is trolling social media posts in abundant measure. I posit that the infamous moment when Captain Picard was scripted to say “Shut up, Wesley!” in “Datalore” did irreparable damage to Wesley Crusher’s role in TNG, leading directly to Wil Wheaton’s frustration culminating in departure from the show, and the character’s continued awkwardness for the rest of the series.

Recap: during the climax, Acting Ensign Wesley Crusher is the only one to see through Lore’s subterfuge in impersonating Data. His attempts to warn senior staff are – bizarrely – rebuked repeatedly, culminating in an impatient “Shut up, Wesley!” from Captain Picard, which is later reinforced by Wesley's own mother.

It’s a simple theory. I believe this moment:

legitimized current and future fan hatred of Wesley from the authority of Picard; if the ship’s captain finds the boy ensign annoying, that’s now part of Wesley’s very nature; thus,

this excuses Wesley’s continued awkwardness as a character, freeing the writing staff from any obligation to rehabilitate him from a 2-dimensional genius wunderkind; they’ve formed a caustic pact with the audience to write a dislikeable character to be TNG’s one representative flaw; thus,

Wesley stagnates as many of the other characters become more complex and interesting; as a result, Wesley’s annoying traits gall the audience even more; thus,

Wheaton’s disenchantment with the character deepens when he juxtaposes it with his co-stars’ fan and critical acclaim; thinking back to the massively successful Stand By Me, he ultimately bails, hoping he still has enough star capital to leave Wesley behind; however,

the writers/producers ultimately learn nothing, coaxing Wheaton into returning for occasional catch-ups, where he either returns to the wunderkind trope (“The Game”), or to ultimately fall from grace as no longer model Starfleet material (“First Duty” and “Journey’s End”).

I believe this final point would never have happened if not for this single line. Since Wesley persisted as the perfect child/genius due to non-growth, his character inevitably ended outside of Starfleet in disgrace because he had to get his comeuppance. No one likes the falsely or unrealistically perfect, so Wesley was bound to fail. Unfortunately, the rift between Wheaton and TNG’s producers prevents this from being a positive, developmental experience for Wesley. He abjectly fails, and can only be written back into a positive end by alien “magic” (The Traveler and Wesley’s mystical “greater destiny”), a Roddenberrian moment of mortal-godship that was incongruous with TNG’s more rationalist later seasons.

I believe you can even apply an unfortunate parallelism to Wesley’s arc via Wheaton’s career: He dared to leave paradise. TNG’s producers and writers may have been insulted that Wheaton disliked his lot in the show, and felt him to be ungrateful. Rather than letting his character grow, he stayed 2-dimensional to the end, both in perfection as human wunderkind, and in disgrace as Traveler Lite – even going so far as to deny him his one scene of redemption after “Journey’s End” with Picard and Beverly Crusher in the final cut of Nemesis.

Finally, I think something Wil Wheaton himself said in a Memories of the Future podcast several years ago really puts the fallout of this single line into relief. Roughly paraphrased: for Picard to say this one line was the most damaging thing that could be done to Wesley because Picard is supposed to be better than that. Even during the writing weirdness we associate with S1, Picard was still the authority of the ship at the very least. Wesley was an acting ensign, and so should have been afforded the same basic courtesy as a full-rank officer, even from his commanding officer. Not only did Picard brazenly disrespect and blow-off an officer who sincerely believed they were acting in the best interest of the ship, Picard also fails to make amends to Wesley. He simply returns Wesley to the bridge, but never adequately apologizes for his behavior. Because Picard continued to grow into Star Trek’s philosophical standard-bearer – the rationalist, ethically upright, intelligent, and morally just man that he becomes – his status continues to retroactively exacerbate this effect. It was a bizarre, character-breaking lapse in Picard's decorum, that writers, producers, and fans must ultimately incorporate into the captain's character. The result is that Wesley's basest right to respect is never restored.

Dangerdoggie
VeteranXV
Old
547 - 03-14-2018, 03:17
Wil Wheaton is just as annoying now as he was back then.

KittyCat
VeteranXX
Old
548 - 03-14-2018, 03:18
Hungary's Orban says George Soros behind mysterious death of Slovak journalist - Europe - Haaretz.com

Soros murders for hire

No one notices

The eu is ****ed tele

Captain Tele
Veteran³
Immigrant
Old
549 - 03-15-2018, 19:29
TELL MAMA

Edofnor
VeteranXX
Old
550 - 03-20-2018, 04:41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d63s8BxzQp8

samUwell
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
551 - 03-23-2018, 16:51
I tell yah, thing are going to start getting really crazy now than Bolton is in but in the meantime, we get to thank Canada for all the

Quote:
Trudeau Government Tells Department To Avoid Non-Gender Inclusive Language Like ***8216;Mother***8217;

The Trudeau government is accelerating its war on non-gender inclusive language by insisting a major government department avoid calling people ***8220;Mr.***8221; or ***8220;Mrs.***8221;

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau actively promotes gender inclusive language, famously declaring in February that ***8220;we say peoplekind***8221; rather than mankind.

The dictate to Service Canada ***8212; the bureaucracy that provides everything from employment insurance to temporary foreign workers ***8212; also instructs workers to eschew such antiquated terms as ***8220;mother***8221; and ***8220;father,***8221; language that ***8220;can be seen as gender-specific by a client,***8221; says a memo first obtained by CBC News***8217; French-language branch, Radio Canada.
[.....]
Any minute now, California will follow suit. It's almost like, Canada and California are in a race to the bottom. Riviting!

Captain Tele
Veteran³
Immigrant
Old
552 - 03-24-2018, 05:28

amRam
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
553 - 03-24-2018, 12:17
rofllll

It's over.

Captain Tele
Veteran³
Immigrant
Old
554 - 03-24-2018, 16:48
Quote:
Originally Posted by amRam View Post
rofllll

It's over.

western world killed itself through suicide

didn't just fall from #1 ...... it jumped

Captain Tele
Veteran³
Immigrant
Old
555 - 03-24-2018, 16:49

Captain Tele
Veteran³
Immigrant
Old
556 - 03-24-2018, 16:53
this is what a lizard would say

Captain Tele
Veteran³
Immigrant
Old
557 - 03-28-2018, 16:03

Captain Tele
Veteran³
Immigrant
Old
558 - 03-28-2018, 16:06
oh these people

Edofnor
VeteranXX
Old
559 - 03-29-2018, 13:23
i can't bleev u backwards americans and ur delusion that u need ur silly lil bill of rights

Trebes attack: Vegan activist in court over butcher post - BBC News

Quote:
A vegan activist in France who posted a Facebook message said to be insulting to a butcher killed by an Islamist militant during an attack last week is due to appear in court, reports say.

She is alleged to have said she had "zero compassion" for the victim.

She is to appear before a judge for condoning terrorism.

In last week's attack, Radouane Lakdim killed four people, three of them in a supermarket in Trebes, including butcher Christian Medvès.

The activist was detained by police in Saint-Gaudens, not far from Toulouse, in the south-west of the country.

"So does it shock you that a murderer gets killed by a terrorist? Not me, I have zero compassion for him, there is still justice," she is said to have posted, according to a judicial source quoted by the AFP news agency.

Condoning terrorism carries a maximum seven-year jail sentence and a fine of up to €100,000 (£88,000).

Her appearance in court comes two days after a left-wing activist received a one-year suspended sentence for hailing the death of another victim of the same attack, gendarme Arnaud Beltrame.

France's butchers federation said it had filed a legal complaint against the author of the post, which has been removed.

Lt-Col Beltrame, 44, died after being shot when Radouane Lakdim - who claimed to be a supporter of the Islamic State group - stormed the Trèbes supermarket on Friday.

He has been hailed as a national hero after trading places with one of the hostages.

Sixteen people were injured, two seriously, in what was the worst jihadist attack under Mr Macron's presidency. The gunman was shot dead by police.
cliffs:

-- this crunchy hippy broad apparently broke french law by declaring that she doesn't care about meat ppl

-- it looks like not all real frenchmen were wiped out in the trenches at verdun, but their last surviving descendant (and the only cop in france who meets the reginald veljohnson memorial good tv/movie cop standards) just sacrificed himself in the righteous fight against jihad

Dangerdoggie
VeteranXV
Old
560 - 03-29-2018, 15:55
Looks like she's going to the slammer for talking about terrorism, something that the euro .govs would like to pretend doesn't exist.

The butcher should have kept a super soaker full of pigs blood behind the counter.

Page 28 of 250

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page WELCOME TO "TELE"-VISION

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
autism vacuum , best channel on the internet , come back to me , hof thread , reeeeeal discussions