Cataclysm Class Previews

DK rotation is very tight and its one of the things I like about the class. If you fuck up and miss one ability in your rotation, you are pretty severely fucked unless you have ERW on CD. This is what separates a good DK from all the bad ones.

Having a lot of free GCDs means dumbing down the game, allowing weaker players to be OKAY with fucking up here and there and doing decent. A part of me feels like this is a punishment for good players.

Sounds pretty much on par with kicking out defense and making it so every tanking class will be uncrittable/uncrushable simply by hitting Def. Stance/Bear Form/Righteous Fury/Blood Presence. It'll will dumb down tanking for shitty players and result in a rush of terrible players who think being uncrittable was the only obstacle they had to tanking.

How the fuck is that even relevant to what Terra said? The change to DK makes shitty players seem less shitty, the change to defense effects everyone and shitty players will still be shitty.

Druid up. Didn't make cyclone dispellable or remove their poly immunity so they'll be the best healer unless pally changes are nuts. Also, feral sounds like it'll be pretty cool.

How the fuck is that even relevant to what Terra said? The change to DK makes shitty players seem less shitty, the change to defense effects everyone and shitty players will still be shitty.

A shitty tank has a much larger impact on a group/raid than a shitty DPS. Dumbing down = lulling shitty players into thinking they can play well.

Camouflage sounds dumb.

What I think when I read that, it's a stealth-like mechanic that doesn't really make you invisible that only makes you immune to range as long as you don't do anything. Not quite sure what kind of situation that would be useful, unless they add raid encounters where you are storming a wall and NPC archers are shooting things down on you.

It's obviously a pvp ability.

A mock shadowmeld/aimed shot doesn't sound too strong, even if you get a damage bonus on your next shot and it can be dropped by melee or AoE damage. Probably depends on the cooldown, how much of a bonus it is. Assuming you don't actually become invisible or disrupt targeting.

I was planning on making a Mage for the expansion. Changes look pretty decent. The one part that blew my mind though

We are planning to remove spells that don't have a clear purpose. Amplify Magic, Dampen Magic, Fire Ward, and Frost Ward are being removed from the game, and we may remove more.

Really? I mean if they want to remove them then whatever. To say they don't have clear purposes though, haha. People must be really stupid to not know their purpose just by reading the name.

Amplify Magic is useful on some raid encounters while Dampen Magic is useful when the mage isn't partied with a healer.

I don't think I can defend the wards though.

The Burnout talent will allow mages to cast spells using health when they run out of mana.

Mages are getting life tap that doesn't even cost a GCD?

well its not channeled... so why need GCD?

The Burnout talent sounds to me like mages getting an a lifetap that you don't even have to use. Life Tap for warlocks requires a GCD to use, this talent wouldn't since it's automatic.

I know mages need regen mechanics that suck less but I consider using your own health to power your spells to be the warlock class' shtick. It somewhat annoys me that it sounds like Mages are getting a better version of Life Tap. :shrug:

I don't know what you're talking about with being channeled.

Mages have no way of recovering that health though.

I'm not talking about pvp. In raids you just get healed through it by healers.

I suppose with the healer changes they might be more likely to let Aff (Siphon Life and Haunt) and Destro (Soul Leech) locks do their own self healing but Demo doesn't have any way of recovering life without using Drain Life (which is a major damage loss). Maybe this will change in Catalcysm. Maybe Mages that rely on Burnout for mana will get yelled at by healers or something in Cata :shrug:.

I still think the "Blood for Power" and taking huge risks of summoning demons is kind of a reckless Warlock thing.

Last edited:
Back