Bah, it finally happened

Ickz

Veteran XX
So yeah, after five years or whatever, I finally got hacked. However, I must have caught it right as they started since only two toons on one server were affected. All my crappy pve gear was de'ed/vendored and all honor that was left on the toons was used to buy gems. Ironically, none of my 90k+ gold was touched it seems. So yeah, not really concerned atm - already have a ticket in for account restoration and neither of the two chars that were messed with were the ones I'm currently playing. However, I'm trying to figure out how the fuck it happened in the first place. I run Firefox+noscript and always keep it updated, never poke around fishy sites, laugh at the fake Blizz emails and promptly delete, etc. Running scans atm and haven't picked up anything yet. Bizarre.

Odang, I guess that's how they got me. I totally used that vid to try to hack some dude the other day. Geewiz.

ROFLMAO

that vid is funny. I wish I knew how many people emailed their account name and pw to some random email addy they saw on a youtube vid.

The e-mails these assholes are sending out are getting out of hand. I'm sure many people fall for that too. They are getting more and more convincing though. Now if they could just put forth the effort to make the page it sends you to look like the WoW site instead of a white page with some text boxes, they could really pull in some accounts.

Ok I'm not the only one then, but how did they know, that under this email adress is someone with an account? Or is it just general undirected spam?

[edit] the email, not the account hack.

I work in IT, and some lady here got one on her personal email. She didn't know what it was, but asked me. She does NOT play wow. So it's blanket blasted out.

Just goes to show you how many people play huh :p

Ok I'm not the only one then, but how did they know, that under this email adress is someone with an account? Or is it just general undirected spam?

[edit] the email, not the account hack.

With 11 million people playing, its probably safe to assume they can spam as many e-mail addresses as they have on record and they'll get a few hits

They will also use web spiders to look for e-mail addresses posted on WoW-related forums and websites.

(As I understand it)

Back