[New Vid Card]ATI 5770

1slob18c1

Veteran X
I ordered one Monday for $169, it shows up today. Got it installed and set everything to max settings. I never realized WoW could look like this (upgraded from 8800GTS).

img166656.png

img166657.png

Dalaran makes my fps drop tremendously, down to 40-60. But it's not the video card that really lacks here, it's my processor (E6850).

So the recent radeon cards are pretty significant upgrades to geforce 8800 gt/gts cards? My 8800 gt is starting to not be enough and i'm pondering getting a radeon hd 5970 or lower to be set for another couple of years. Though I don't even know if that would be a good idea, as that might be overkill for my system where it leaves the bottleneck on the rest of the system and leave a lot of it's power unused. That and I need to remember what power supply i'm using because it may not have enough power -_- .

A simple video card upgrade would a hell of a lot cheaper than putting together an entirely new system based on intel i7.

So the recent radeon cards are pretty significant upgrades to geforce 8800 gt/gts cards? My 8800 gt is starting to not be enough and i'm pondering getting a radeon hd 5970 or lower to be set for another couple of years. Though I don't even know if that would be a good idea, as that might be overkill for my system where it leaves the bottleneck on the rest of the system and leave a lot of it's power unused. That and I need to remember what power supply i'm using because it may not have enough power -_- .

A simple video card upgrade would a hell of a lot cheaper than putting together an entirely new system based on intel i7.

What's the rest of your system? More memory helps a lot for WoW. You want at least 4gigs of ram. 5970 is $700 bucks you probably don't want to be buying that :lol:

if you CPU's decent get a 5850 and more ram

What's the rest of your system? More memory helps a lot for WoW. You want at least 4gigs of ram. 5970 is $700 bucks you probably don't want to be buying that :lol:

if you CPU's decent get a 5850 and more ram

Motherboard: ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe
RAM: 2GB x 3 slots = 6 GB of RAM (DDR2 800)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHZ (Q6600)

definitely upgrade video card then, 6gigs of ram is definitely enough, CPU's decent. I went from a 8600gts to a 4870 on my old computer and it made a huge difference in wow.

wow is much more cpu/memory intensive, and doesn't support SLI. I refuse to buy an ATI ever again though. Clunky, unsupported pieces of shit.

wow is much more cpu/memory intensive, and doesn't support SLI. I refuse to buy an ATI ever again though. Clunky, unsupported pieces of shit.

Also better than nvidia right now :happy:

Nvidia's new cards run hot(they've already tried cooking eggs on them, no dice), are more pricey and under perform.

I own an ATI card and it works well for the most part, but their customer support is GOD AWFUL. If an ATI card and NVidia card is comparable, I'll always buy NVidia now.

I've always hated Dalaran. When I started playing WoW, I always loved Stormwind and the classical looking cities. Shattrath felt so cheap in detail compared to the old cities and dalaran always felt so tiny. I mean, it fucking sucked running around in Stormwind when I first set out to do quests back in like '05, but it felt kinda epic.

I've always hated Dalaran. When I started playing WoW, I always loved Stormwind and the classical looking cities. Shattrath felt so cheap in detail compared to the old cities and dalaran always felt so tiny. I mean, it fucking sucked running around in Stormwind when I first set out to do quests back in like '05, but it felt kinda epic.

True that, seems like of shitty how they left some stuff incomplete. You pan out your camera from tanking inside the Cathedral and all the little things in the ceiling don't even have models to them, they just terminate into seemingly empty space. It was like that for the tops of the walls separating the districts too.

ATi is getting better? I'd really like to believe that, I tried the 2nd and 3rd generation radeons back in the day and they were terrible. One card I couldn't even get to work at all and even when I sent it back to them to have to checked they returned it saying there was nothing wrong with it at all.

I've owned 2 Nvidia and 3 ATI cards now. Never had a problem with any of them. I think the problem is you.

It was probably my motherboard, back then the boards were AMD and it seemed the only chipsets on AMD boards were VIA, and VIA always had annoying quirks and problems. But Those earlier gen cards never worked or barely worked, if they are in fact better now I may look into one for an upgrade later.

Back