[Support] Interesting Ban?

Feannag

Veteran XV
I'm pretty sure like other people here, I ended up with a couple of extra accounts from RAF-link leveling. My couple were still unbound to battle.net, though I still had the info, and a coworker had an interest in playing. I gave him one of my old accounts, he linked it to his own battle.net account, and he got a gamecard to play. Suffice to say, he played for less than an hour, and never came back to it (he prefers Rappelz). Fine, I helped him out and it didn't work out and push to shove he has a TBC account in case he would want to play.

FF to last week, he shoots me a facebook message saying he got an email from Blizzard saying his account was banned. I asked him to forward me the email because I know people can sometimes pretend to be Blizzard to phish for account information. Sure enough the email seems legit, citing the reason for the ban as abusing the economy and a link to an anit-gold-selling FAQ. I'm entertaining calling Blizzard's support line to see what the specifics of the ban was on a day off while I get some house-cleaning done. Anyone have any experience with dealing with their support staff? I doubt I would get the account unbanned, and I'm sure my coworker doesn't care either, but I'm curious to see the specifics for how it was banned.

Cliffs

- Gave coworker old WoW account.
- Coworker bound account to his battle.net, played for an hour and quit.
- Four months later coworker gets email saying account is banned, "economy abuse" reason citied.
- Charge is essential without logic, coworker doesn't know how to buy gold and didn't play long enough to benefit from it.
- Considering calling up support to see what the specifics were for the ban.
- At least five people will laugh at me, includeing Adren, zeph, and Terra (my biggest fans).

I just read the cliffs, but it sounds like he either got hacked and the hackers used his account for goldselling/trading/etc, or somehow your account was flagged for account sharing in the past and you got caught.

I'm not sure. You should call and find out, it won't hurt.

- Signed
- Terra, your biggest fan.

Is the account actually banned or did you guys just look at the email and freak out? I've seen some weird bogus emails in the past. The typical three hour ban and suspected of gold-selling/buying emails, but they don't have any links in them, only text with the legit Blizzard URLs. They're probably setup emails to make sure you don't block the sender though.

Didn't get around to calling today, was doing laundry, cleaning house, etc. (it was long overdue). But here's what I do know.

- There was no freaking out, because I lost control of the account as soon as I gave it away because of the whole battle.net thing and the coworker in question (let's call him Bob) doesn't play Blizzard games and doesn't care about the ban.

- The email seemed official, but I have not actually attempted to access the account to see if it is or not.

- Bob actually gave me his battle.net account. So clearly he doesn't care too much about it.

- There was no gold selling on the account as I know, but it doesn't mean it was phished.

Have either of you tried logging in to the account?

I have, he gave me the account info and the system says just an email/account doesn't exist. Leads me to believe he misspelled something when giving to me, because even if they did put a ban on the WoW account it wouldn't completely delete/erase the battle.net account. Gonna talk to him tomorrow and make sure the account info he gave me is correct.

Back