Musashi's Passion starts some fun

Chic0 said:
Sorry Col, usually I hop on the bandwagon on this, but this thing did not deserve the kind of response it got. Something formal saying "sorry this is protected by free speech" would have sufficed, but I would wager that all you've done now is slap him in the face and increase his fervor to get more churches to complain to you. If they complain and only complain, you'll be lucky...not that they have legal legs to stand on, but it'll be far more trouble than its worth

Couple things,

First I really doubt this guy has much of a real connection with the church. As one of the earlier articles linked stated this guy is more a slef styled wannabe hick with a pope hat.

Second, As a christian I don't find Musashi's flash offensive, my guess is that most sensible ones also would not. It tells the story pure and simple, it adds humour and as far as I can tell that's not against any rules i've read.

If humour makes people pay attention the same way excessive violence in the actual film mad people pay attention...good!

Jesus Died for ours sins, he can handle a litle humour is my guess if it informs people at least on some level.

Archimedes said:
:lol: If it had been anything other than a religious official complainging about something, all of TW would have jumped on the bandwagon and said "Yeah Col, tell him what's up."

Do some of you think Col went too far? I don't. That bishop can learn to fucking relax and hey, as long as we're complaining about shit, I have about 95 theses I would like to bring up.

Matrin LutherOWNED!

Colosus said:
Mr. Lannoye,

Your complaint is noted. I have logged it under the "Doesn't understand the wonders of free speech" section in our complaint manager. I thank you for your patronage of our fair community and wish you many wonderful returns.

Please peruse the other great MusashiVision films such as "Pop Goes the Weasel" (http://hosted.tribalwar.com/musashi/marweas.htm) or my personal favorite, "How to Get Banned by Colosus" (http://hosted.tribalwar.com/musashi/getbanned.htm). All of which are made by a good friend and a user of our forums by the name of Musashi.

Thank you again for your time.

Sincerely,

Matthew 'Colosus' DeWald
Administrator
www.tribalwar.com

Offensive speech isn't protected if it's sole purpose is to offend people or arouse anger.

Last edited:
Posting in this epic thread for one reason:

Because I want to go to hell with all my TW brethren. Meet and greet at Hooters by the Palace of the Dark Lord on the day of our reckoning, fellas?

(I had two reasons. I wanted to make :nag: a standard issue smiley. But it has been done. Hooray!)

fraidykat said:
Yeah, I'm sure that he meant this in the nicest way possible. He didn't want to piss anyone off at all :rolleyes:

there's a difference which i'm sure you're able to see but choose not to, of wanting ONLY to piss people off and wanting to give humor to some and piss some off

xpdnc said:
there's a difference which i'm sure you're able to see but choose not to, of wanting ONLY to piss people off and wanting to give humor to some and piss some off

I see it, but is something that's meant to incite anger protected if it's also meant to make a few people laugh? I'll back off of the point of you show me that it is. I'm genuinely curious.

Patton said:
Posting in this epic thread for one reason:

Because I want to go to hell with all my TW brethren. Meet and greet at Hooters by the Palace of the Dark Lord on the day of our reckoning, fellas?

(I had two reasons. I wanted to make :nag: a standard issue smiley. But it has been done. Hooray!)

feel sorry for you.

Quote at top of page now, "TribalWar.com: Cheaper than a $3 hooker. "

We seem to have everything covered. good work guys!

xpdnc....

According to Texas v. Johnson (flag burning case), "If there is a bedrock principle underlying the First Amendment, it is that the Government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea itself offensive or disagreeable." Selective restraints based on offensiveness of speech strictly limited: unless speech invades privacy of home or the degree of captivity makes it impractical to avoid exposure, the burden is on the offended person to "avert his or her eyes."
Cohen; Erznoznik

1. Caveat: Speech that constitutes "fighting words" under the Chaplinsky standard is not protected. But see R.A.V. v. St. Paul (partial restriction of fighting words based on intent to "arouse anger, alarm or resentment in others" on basis of race, etc. unconstitutional as viewpoint restriction). Contrast Wisconsin v. Mitchell (penalty enhancement for racial motivation in committing aggravated battery upheld).

Back