Config for Tribes Ascend players

fixious please answer this for me because i'm genuinely curious

why would you make or allow /r/Tribes solely to be about tribes ascend

why not send them over to /r/TribesAscend instead?

was it a power thing?

like I realize you post tribes 1 content there now and that's awesome. but i can remember being banned so many times from that subreddit simply because i'd say i couldn't get into ta or t2 and preferred t1.

and the thing that perplexes me is it seems you really love t1. like you understand that the game wasn't broken in the first place so all the attempts at reinventing the wheel in the sequels were stupid as fuck and could have easily been done with t1+better graphics+open modding

so i'd really like a longer than 1 line explanation of what happened or why /r/Tribes became basically /r/tribesascend only when it was your subreddit

i realize you're promoting t1 now but why not when tribes ascend came out and the game was legitimately terrible

Where in the holy fuck did I ever say /r/Tribes was solely dedicated to Ascend? It was originally made like 2 years before Ascend even came out and T1 was really the only thing that was on the subreddit (and its whopping 50 subscribers), then Hi-Rez came out of no where and announced T:U then T:A, and that's what took over the subreddit.

The reason Ascend was 99% of the content was because every other damn Tribes game was and is dead. Ascend was new, so that's what they talked about and gave feedback on. I've posted quite a few things regarding T1 over the years there; new configs, demos, montages, etc. But realize it's ultimately pointless trying to convert the Ascend tards to play T1, just like trying to get them to play Legions or any other game that isn't Ascend for more than a day. According to Fire they couldn't even figure out how to jet properly in T1, hence this new config to help hold their hand a bit.

The reason your posts were either moved/banned was probably because they were shitty tribe talk posts that were beyond annoying. This was like 2 years ago so I can't really remember the details. They were probably worse than PROJ's though. Almost anything goes these days since though since none of the games have any kind of growth or developer support anymore.

Hi-Rez never contacted us regarding the content of /r/tribes. They didn't ask to be brought on as mods or anything. Apparently they made an 'official' subreddit for Ascend but never made it public. Considering how the community interacted with them throughout beta and afterwards I'm not surprised they distanced themselves over time. Forcing people to visit /r/tribesascend if they wanted to talk about Ascend shit would have pretty much kill /r/tribes, and the activity level would've been comparable to Tribes Talk.

If people want to post T1/T2/TV or T:A stuff, they're more than welcome. I'd rather see more T1 stuff than Ascend, or more discussions on Project Z or something. The subreddit is for all things Tribes and similar crap (legions, Z, telos, freefall, etc). I'd love to see them stop their constant bitching about server lag, ping spikes, PUG drama, general Hi-Rez or Internap bitching, technical issues, matchmaking being dumb, and leave the game for the superior T1. But it ain't gonna happen.

If anything, /r/tribes is dying. It's been on the decline since late 2012 to be honest, which isn't too surprising. Its peak was during Ascend's launch and saw over 1.5 million page views that month alone. These days we barely break 200k. Once Hi-Rez really fucks them over and pulls server support, that's when things will really go south.

well the main problem is it doesnt have enough detail and there's practically no difference between 1024x1024 version and 512x512 upscaled to 1024x1024

tbh i prefer the updated ice terrain over the blue, but i never changed it because that's what's in hdv2. i might get around to it later today.

I was banned for simply posting tribes 1 videos.

Also the only people that had mod in that subreddit were t:a guys.

You can say whatever you want about t:a being new. But the fact is you and your t;a friends made that subreddit t:a only. They could have easily made a /r/TribesAscend subreddit but you gave them /r/Tribes.

tbh i prefer the updated ice terrain over the blue, but i never changed it because that's what's in hdv2. i might get around to it later today.

yea for sure. it's personal preference on that one. they both good skins.

when you going to make a badass alien one damaster???? that is what we really need. :D

i think alien and desert are the only 2 i dont have re-textures for. honestly though they both look good even low res, but i would still be curious to see what a high res one would look like.

tbch i doubt ill make any new tribe stuff after i release skybox skies, because i'll have shitloads of school stuff 2 do & study very hard if i want 2 pass. if i pass this year i'll buy really good camera so i can retexture stuff, that will be in about a year, that's when i'll start 2 texture terrains but if i want 2 do it 100% properly it will take more than a year for terrains (that is even if i manage 2 apply technique i envisioned). gl hf

Does skybox take a long time for you guys to load tribes and join a server or is it just me? I quit using it, was too annoying.

tbch i doubt ill make any new tribe stuff after i release skybox skies, because i'll have shitloads of school stuff 2 do & study very hard if i want 2 pass. if i pass this year i'll buy really good camera so i can retexture stuff, that will be in about a year, that's when i'll start 2 texture terrains but if i want 2 do it 100% properly it will take more than a year for terrains (that is even if i manage 2 apply technique i envisioned). gl hf

hey it's cool man. ill be around next year. im a patient guy. :)

theres some kind of compulsive thing in me that wants to fix everything old/strange in this config but im trying to hold back

one thing that's really strange is why is it loading everything twice on startup? /server/ai/ai.cs is throwing errors twice that's the only reason i even noticed

must ... resist... sperging out...

o i think its cause its doing the mjhires fix twice and causing some kinda crazy loop

Last edited:
so... im on vacation in cali

except everyone i know is working 'til at least midnight tonight

and im not exactly gonna start wandering around LA at night by myself

so i have an empty apartment, a computer, a VPN to my sys back home, some dabs and some tunes and fuck i dunno what else to do

Fire_Tribes_repacked.zip

there's really nothing you'd notice visually other than maybe i made all the huds use a global variable for the font ($pref::Groove::Font) instead of being set individually (i like verdanab cause its big and readable but its set to regular verdana)

(u can set that Font varable in clientprefs or with the * menu by typing the font name in the chat input box)

changelog cause i sperged:
Spoiler

so... im on vacation in cali

except everyone i know is working 'til at least midnight tonight

and im not exactly gonna start wandering around LA at night by myself

so i have an empty apartment, a computer, a VPN to my sys back home, some dabs and some tunes and fuck i dunno what else to do

http://www.iateyourbaby.com/twdem s...y fuck its already 11:30 fuck this [/spoiler
http://www.iateyourbaby.com/twdem s...y fuck its already 11:30 fuck this [/spoiler

Back