Building a new computer...

I can totally understand people investing in mice... but "gaming keyboards" I can't really understand.

I've never even read about them. I'm curious to know why they even exist outside of MMO "I need 500 hotkeys" or whatever ridiculousness.

My keyboard is like 8 bucks, and I love it, especially when it breaks after like 10 months of use. I'm like... oh, I think I'll spend 8 more bucks and get a brand new one that will last me another year. It's awesome cus they cost next to nothing.

I am curious though. Since I'm going all out, I might as well take a look at all these magical gaming keyboards that shit fairy dust.

I'm pretty sure I won't be impressed and I'll stick with my tried and true ghetto keyboards.

i use 8 dollar keyboards 2 idk y mechanical ones r liked the clicking sound?

do they let u press more keys at once or something idk

I was thinking of going ahead and shelling out for the GTX 970.

Is that overkill? Mistake?

It's the first gaming mouse I've ever bought.

Back in the day I was succeeding with cheap logitech crap and never even considered investing in anything better.

I was going to try out the Death Adder, see how it felt, and just buy something different if I didn't like it.

The other options were the ultra-nerd proteus core, which looked interesting with the adjustable weights, but i have big hands and it looked kind of small. I also tend to palm my mouse.

G502_white_background_highres.jpg

Or the steel sensei:

sensei_raw_01_thumb.jpg

The RAT looked too try-hard for me...

The corsair looked ok though, but something about the shape and design made me not want to buy it.

CG_M65_RGB_W_01_hero_R.png

What are you using Dare? Or what do you recommend?

that mouse in the middle would be perfect for tribes. especially that little button thing on hte middle and sides. I would use the sides to cycle between deployable objects (in anni) and hte middle buttom below the wheel to spew the deployable.

G400s recommended by stork and rtcll so u know it's good.

Also hate 2 say it tpk, but if u get new cpu and a new gfx card, you might want to get a better psu.

I would kill 4 ur ssd. That is the only thing I'd want to get (besides an i7) for my computer.

Also if ur gonna do all of this and not have a 144hz refresh rate monitor, get the fuk out chea. Get the asus and if you think you love me now, wait till you see my posts in 144

Last edited:
iirc fatal1ty used intelimouse uno. also get roccat mouse instead of razer cuz its cheaper and much better. also i dont think u can combine 2 different RAM sticks (its not good). also buy 256GB ssd for windows, games and programs and put all the non important stuff on like 2TB cheap-less-than 100$ HDD. as for keyboard buy some 100$ black cherry mx kb from ducky or something.

Last edited:
Also hate 2 say it tpk, but if u get new cpu and a new gfx card, you might want to get a better psu.

Damn homey, I should have started this thread before I ordered it. I wouldn't have even flinched at dropping 30 or 40 bucks more on a better one. I had no idea.

Apparently this one should hold though, but yeah, it might age rather quickly. Maybe I'll just use it for a while and see how it goes, then upgrade later.

I might not even get a new graphics card and CPU for a while. Maybe I'll get a better PSU when I do?

Right now I'm playing very low req games, and if everything runs fine, I won't need to upgrade anything else for a while.

I'll probably wait and get more upgrades for Overwatch if and when I get beta.

That's the beauty of getting this nice motherboard, hard-drive, and everything else. I can upgrade easily whenever I feel like it.

At first, when my computer died, I was bummed and annoyed cus I didn't wanna deal with the hassle. Now this has become my new hobby. I'm totally into this. I'm reading about parts all the time. I can't wait to put together my new computer. It's going to fun as shit.

I would kill 4 ur ssd. That is the only thing I'd want to get (besides an i7) for my computer.

Yeah, I started realizing that I was really treating myself when I got that. Shit is way too awesome. I can't wait to try it out. I still think it's a highly cost effective investment with the 10 year warranty on it. It will pay for itself over time and due to its awesomeness. It is the main source of cost on this computer. It was expensive.

I sat there debating between a 480 and a 960 for quite a while. You can't upgrade a 480 once you have it, so I just figured I would "future proof" or whatever. Now I don't have to worry about disc space ever, and everything should load and run very fast. ^_^

I often have times when I'm home for only like 15 - 20 minutes, and I hate wasting like 5-6 minutes of that loading my computer and watching web pages load, especially when I have an agenda about things that I want to read about in that time. I will put the SSD to good use I'm certain.

Also if ur gonna do all of this and not have a 144hz refresh rate monitor, get the fuk out chea. Get the asus and if you think you love me now, wait till you see my posts in 144

I've got like a "meh whatever" acer I bought a year and a half ago without any of this in mind. It's 60hz. It's 27 inches though, and the perfect size for me.

Does 144 really make it that much better?

I'm curious about that now. :D

. also i dont think u can combine 2 different RAM sticks (its not good).

Damn, I'm learning lots of shit in this thread. Thank you friend.

About the SSD vs HDD storage debate...

I know everyone is doing that setup and it's highly effective, but I just felt like splurging on this badass drive just cus it's awesome. I didn't even know SSD drives existed until like a week ago. I read about them, thought they sounded awesome, and just went and bought a huge one. It will be lots of fun. :)

I might buy an external Hard-drive later like that for storage if I feel like it.

Did u check for hardware compatibility? U should check sites like pcpartpicker for hardware builds, compatbility and point of reference. Also buying better psu is better in long run because condensers degrade with time so u end up with lower power (there are online calculators for this). Congratz on wasting money on 1TB ssd which wont give u any real advantage over 256gb ssd on c partition and like ordinary disk for ur shows, music etc. U prolly spent around 500$ for it while u could save 300$ and use it for amazing gaming setup. Gg. Also never defragment ur ssd, there is TRIM command in windows.

Last edited:
Wow, pcpartpicker is an awesome site. Thank you for showing it to me.

And thank you for teaching me about TRIM.

Naw, I will never feel that I wasted money on the 1TB ssd at all. It is a long term investment.

Yeah, it cost me five hundred bucks, but getting the the 240gb + 1TBhdd would have been 250 bucks, and getting the 480gb plus a 1 TB HD would have been 380 bucks. It looks like I could have saved 120-250 bucks max in the short term, but it looks better than it actually is, because that HDD hard disk will probably die in 3 years like my last one, and over the next decade, I will replace it twice, which might actually end up costing me nearly the same in the long run, on top of being a pain in my ass to boot. If anything, I only spent a little bit of extra money to have a very high quality product that will last me a decade. For me, it is a worthy and cost effective investment and I will never regret buying it. It will also be much simpler and easier to only have one drive.

On top of all this, I'm the sort of person that would appreciate an SSD far more than most. I loathe load times. I think very quickly and my computer always slows me down when I'm trying to alt-tab and read stuff or do stuff. I get really impatient and irritated by the slow load times.

I understand where you guys are coming from though.

If anything, I wasted money on the power supply, and that was only 80 bucks. That's just one night of drinking. I will still use the power supply most likely, so it's not a total waste.

I do wish I had known to get a better PSU though. That was my bad, but I haven't bought the parts for a new computer all by myself... ever... so I'm allowed to make one mistake. It's not the end of the world or anything. I'll know better for next time and get a great PSU.

Also, I will still buy the killer GPU... the killer cpu... and everything else I feel that I want...

But dude, what is up with that video? I mean... I understand it's trying to show the difference, but my monitor never chops like that...

Will it start chopping once I get a nice cpu and gpu? Is that the dilly?

When I switched from 60 to 144, I noticed the difference. It's much smoother, even mouse movements are less choppy. Now I'm used to it so it doesn't seem like a big difference. But think of it this way, your gfx can pump t1 at 1300fps a second, but ur monitor only refreshes at 60fps. Not the worst thing in the world. But don't you want a monitor that more than doubles that ratio?

In a newer game more graphic intensive (which I don't play) I'm sure the difference is much more noticeable.

Yeah that makes sense.

I've been reading tons of reviews about the corsair PSU I got.

People are all saying it should be fine for basic gaming systems that don't do any overclocking.

Back