Projects over Corona Vacation

Alvarez

Veteran XX
I have been completing a bunch of projects over this time at home. Teaching how to build at the school and repairs keeps me slammed busy so personal builds don't happen in a timely manner so I decided to build the bass I had been wanting to do for awhile.

cover.jpg

IMG_20200326_165911.jpg

IMG_20200326_223749.jpg

IMG_20200327_185546.jpg

IMG_20200328_171924.jpg

IMG_20200329_202044.jpg

IMG_20200331_193600.jpg

I have seen drunken cutting boards but never used as the top of an instrument. I used flamed cherry for the backside and of course the 2 woods on top are walnut and maple.

Do electric guitars need any significant acoustic or material consideration. Pretty much just the strings that matter for the sound, correct?

Do electric guitars need any significant acoustic or material consideration. Pretty much just the strings that matter for the sound, correct?

THAT is a highly debated topic... yes so sound of the wood comes out and is very much felt when playing. I have a mockingbird I made that has a very woody mahoghany sound that comes out.. I made it as a metal guitar and as much as it trys it excels at classic rock because of the woody sound.

So yes and no... I have seen all epoxy guitars with no tone wood and they rocked... but some guitars just produce that woody tone. :shrug:

Awhile back I was watching a documentary about a guitar shop that opened up at ground zero of the Japanese tsunami where the guy was making single piece solid guitars, was pretty rad.

The gutter drain pipe was broken in my backyard so Ive had that black corrugated pipe laying on my sidewalk for like two years to drain it to the street. I finally have time to bust up the sidewalk and bury it.

I couldn't borrow a truck but I could a trailer so I put a trailer hitch on my car and moved like two yards of dirt to my parents house. Used the busted up sidewalk as back fill.

Went to home Depot to get the concrete but there's a line wrapping around the building so I did the online order. Waiting now to go get my 40 bags of concrete

Its like 4k+ with the trailer weight and the towing cap is 2k so gotta do 20 bags ea trip

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Cool!

You just reminded me. I used to live in Switzerland. I had a brit friend I used to hang out with. He was a custom bass maker. His name is Simon Pinder. We used to hang out in the shop, drink espresso and smoke hash.

That looks cool, Alvarez. Nice drum sander too.

The gutter drain pipe was broken in my backyard so Ive had that black corrugated pipe laying on my sidewalk for like two years to drain it to the street. I finally have time to bust up the sidewalk and bury it.

I couldn't borrow a truck but I could a trailer so I put a trailer hitch on my car and moved like two yards of dirt to my parents house. Used the busted up sidewalk as back fill.

Went to home Depot to get the concrete but there's a line wrapping around the building so I did the online order. Waiting now to go get my 40 bags of concrete

Its like 4k+ with the trailer weight and the towing cap is 2k so gotta do 20 bags ea trip

gettin shit done!

Cool!

You just reminded me. I used to live in Switzerland. I had a brit friend I used to hang out with. He was a custom bass maker. His name is Simon Pinder. We used to hang out in the shop, drink espresso and smoke hash.

That looks cool, Alvarez. Nice drum sander too.

Thanks dude! I love my shop I teach how to build at Indiana School of Lutherie and they have amazing tools there but I will live haha.

Here is where I am now!

bass.jpg

Very cool looking.
I've been cleaning rust spots off the deck railing with WD40 and 2000 wet/dry... nice and shiny now. Went out surfing yesterday and that maybe the last time for awhile as they've now closed the beaches. Right now the swell has dropped, but in 3 days it's climbing and, well, we'll see if I can sneak out...

Very cool looking.
I've been cleaning rust spots off the deck railing with WD40 and 2000 wet/dry... nice and shiny now. Went out surfing yesterday and that maybe the last time for awhile as they've now closed the beaches. Right now the swell has dropped, but in 3 days it's climbing and, well, we'll see if I can sneak out...

The over reach is insane lately. I get making groups disperse but closing down public areas of beaches that I have been hearing about seems tyranical. The arrests for puiblic nuisance etc... Now they are "comandeering" PPE equipment by special order from anyone that may have it and hasn't given their property to hospitals.

Couldn't get my order through at home Depot yesterday. Raining today so can't get concrete. Stops at noon but brother in law needs trailer back for his orders. Gonna go to mountain house instead.

Neighbor walked over yesterday and liked my raised beds and hired me to build a vegetable garden so I put that order in too so maybe I can get started on this stuff Monday.

So instead I was power washing and cleaning up the house, lent the power washer to the other neighbors and now we all have nice and clean sidewalks and porches the neighborhood looks so much better.

Last edited:
Back