Why has tribes persisted? by AA|The_Stuff - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Why has tribes persisted?
Page 1 of 4
AA|The_Stuff
VeteranXX
Old
1 - 08-07-2019, 22:21
I was talking to my friend about tribes and he was extremely intrigued but miffed and was trying to figure out what it was intrinsically about the game that has held a fan base for over a decade where all other games seem to fade away?

Any other long time players what are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
vamp
Veteran++
Old
2 - 08-08-2019, 01:44
almost everything about the game tbh plus some over looked things like:

freedom of movement, high skill ceiling, rewarding weapons/hits, crazy level of customization, the various mods and play styles.

i cant currently think of a modern game that has all of that.

Amadeus
VeteranXX
Old
3 - 08-08-2019, 13:07
It hasn't.

Tribes is dead.

AA|The_Stuff
VeteranXX
Old
4 - 08-08-2019, 13:16
There's still a very active lt community, base pickups are starting once a week and there's a vegas lan in the works.

spockhammer
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
5 - 08-08-2019, 13:27
tribes talk became solely about t1, and LT because i made a point of personally taking it over and kicking out all the aryan brotherhood losers that tried to turn tribes into a family affair

what is funny is there are many of them still posting in GD, or recently begged and begged for discord ownership (for the 4th???? time) only to kill it all over again once they got control????

i figured after a decade you ppl would have learned to do better

Last edited by spockhammer; 08-08-2019 at 13:30..
AA|The_Stuff
VeteranXX
Old
6 - 08-10-2019, 16:33
I was hoping to get more responses to build a better case. Besides, I would figure people would want to say why they appreciate Tribes.

I honestly think the game play is superior to most other games and still holds up. I think whats most integral to this is the very high skill curve that we all learned and got better together with along the way. Also the community is/was strong and continually improved on the game play. I guess what it comes down to is that it was a journey that we all went along together and we all have respect for good and great players regardless of how we treated one another in a competitive setting.

My two cents.

Ryedon
VeteranXX
Old
7 - 08-19-2019, 14:23
What I liked about it was all the positions you could be. Got tired of being a capper; go HOF. Tired of that? Go sniper. Tribes 2 was awesome with the vehicles. It just seemed like there was so much to do in that game because of how complex it was.

bugs_
VeteranXV
Old
8 - 08-19-2019, 19:02
Tribes is relatively "open" in the software sense. We can change it and tune it.

Tribes is relatively "minimal" in the requrements sense. One doesn't need high end hardware to play because the footprint is light.

relatively open and relatively minimal meant that a larger population of players could dare to mod.

Visionary design (or just dumb luck) the Tribes game model is still valid today. Ironman suits in 1998.

so open, minimal, and vision|luck all aggregate into the mojo that is Tribes.

Noobed
Old
9 - 08-19-2019, 21:11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs_ View Post
Tribes is relatively "open" in the software sense. We can change it and tune it.
Visionary design (or just dumb luck) the Tribes game model is still valid today. Ironman suits in 1998.
It's not mentioned often but developers just need to leave a game the **** alone after awhile, and that helped tribes a lot. They didn't patch out skiing. They didn't patch out nade jumping, they didn't patch out air mines, they didn't patch out people getting good with the shield pack, they didn't patch out beacon stops.

They didn't even think of half of this ****, they thought everyone was going to need an APC to get from one base to the other. Everything just evolved naturally in the game.
The community kept evolving around it, and stuff that used to be a problem isn't even a problem, and if anything is really obviously bad, the community patches it or disables it.

Look at starcraft, the meta constantly changes because people shut up and git gud. You can't go whine to blizzard to nerf zergs 20 years after the game was released.

benji
VeteranXV
Old
10 - 08-20-2019, 04:32
I think it was the soundtrack tbh

epidemic
VeteranXX
Old
11 - 08-20-2019, 11:26
it was def the sound track

Neolight
VeteranXV
Old
12 - 08-25-2019, 09:31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
It hasn't.

Tribes is dead.

Exodus
VeteranXX
Old
13 - 09-01-2019, 21:00
Tribes 1 > *
imo

S_hift
VeteranX
Old
14 - 10-06-2019, 19:57
I'm not a fan of the pick up matches. its almost like watching baseball on tv when i would rather be there or playing the game with my friends. I think this might damage the overall longevity of tribes. I said that pickup matches would kill midair and it did. fortunately there is a hardcore fan base so that wont be happening to T1 anytime soon. Plus people who don't join the pickups just play in another server so it kinda works out.

Rosegger
Veteran++
Old
15 - 10-10-2019, 23:02
Ya pickups are far too organized for my erratic style of shooting discs..

Cinnamon
VeteranX
Old
16 - 10-10-2019, 23:33
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY8s7X-f30

2:37
Veteran4
Old
17 - 10-15-2019, 11:38
cause they share their cheats on a communal level now and if you accuse them of it then ban you.

Same cucks same cheats as 18 years ago.

Mystikalrush
VeteranXV
Old
18 - 11-03-2019, 00:20
I miss this game, i hope someone will pick up Tribes yet again, even if we all hate each other.

Dutch
VeteranXX
Old
19 - 11-03-2019, 15:09
its probably because the game was easily modified

i played so many mods, insomniax (i think? something like that), renegades, shifter..

i finally got off of dialup after t2, and then i went back to t1 base.. laser rifle was ****

and then lt came along, which turned out to be a really good thing for a long time

Amadeus
VeteranXX
Old
20 - 11-04-2019, 15:35
ya a really good thing for the same 20 people to circle jerk each other telling themselves they're goat now that everyone better than them has quit

Page 1 of 4

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Why has tribes persisted?

Social Website Bullshit