Tribes 2 Graphical enhancements by ZurkinWood497 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Tribes 2
Reload this Page Tribes 2 Graphical enhancements
ZurkinWood497
Old
1 - 06-21-2017, 21:08
Been messing with T2 and got these results, thought I'd show you guys what it looks like. Got Before and Afters in the link below.

Still isn't perfect; Got some settings to adjust/add/remove (As seen in the pics), and got to get the 2D part of OpenGL to render. But just seeing this makes me want to go on with this. (Pair with some higher res textures and Woo!)

Google Drive Link:
Graphical Enhancements - Google Drive
EDIT: Updated picture link, more to look at now.

Last edited by ZurkinWood497; 06-22-2017 at 05:00.. Reason: Update Picture link
Sponsored Links
T2-JesusChrist
Veteran++
Old
2 - 06-21-2017, 22:01

Last edited by T2-JesusChrist; 06-18-2023 at 04:22..
ZurkinWood497
Old
3 - 06-22-2017, 05:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2-JesusChrist View Post
I will be sincere with you and not pretend to be fake nice, I don't how the changes look at all. It hurts my eyes just looking at it. Too much bloom, too shiny, not enough color. It is just a degradation of the default style. What tribes 2 does need though is higher res textures with more detail, for everything, including ground. And maybe even more grass and plants in the maps to make it prettier.
I added more pictures in the new link. Take a look at both 8a and 8b, JC. Tell me: Which of those do you think looks better? Leave 8c out of the question.

For some things I got going on right now in tribes:
Ambient Occulusion (AO)
DoF Haze (Works better than real DoF)
Ambient Lighting
MXOA (The shading around the corners as seen in the new link I provided.)
Some stuff to sharpen the textures (In a good way) and give it a more 'detailed' look.
The brightness in the sky is the ActiveFog, which I'll probably remove if I can't get things set right with it. This will all be toggleable anyways, so if you don't want, turn it off. Done.

ChocoTaco
Veteran++
Old
4 - 06-22-2017, 14:12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZurkinWood497 View Post
I added more pictures in the new link. Take a look at both 8a and 8b, JC. Tell me: Which of those do you think looks better? Leave 8c out of the question.

For some things I got going on right now in tribes:
Ambient Occulusion (AO)
DoF Haze (Works better than real DoF)
Ambient Lighting
MXOA (The shading around the corners as seen in the new link I provided.)
Some stuff to sharpen the textures (In a good way) and give it a more 'detailed' look.
The brightness in the sky is the ActiveFog, which I'll probably remove if I can't get things set right with it. This will all be toggleable anyways, so if you don't want, turn it off. Done.
Cool

T2-JesusChrist
Veteran++
Old
5 - 06-22-2017, 19:12

ZurkinWood497
Old
6 - 06-23-2017, 20:02
Quote:
In 8b, the shadows look better and the object edges look a little less blurry than 8a, the objects look more sharp. But if I were to choose one, I'd still go with 8a because the color is more lively there. 9after also has good shadows and object sharpness, better than 9before. I'd say that keeping the colors is important.
Thank you for the input, JC! There's actually some settings that add more color into the textures, and I can adjust the levels of them as well. Could simply add it all back!

Check out this vid:
2017.06.22-14.57.mp4 - Google Drive
I go through the settings I put into the system in there.

T2-JesusChrist
Veteran++
Old
7 - 06-23-2017, 20:37

ZurkinWood497
Old
8 - 06-24-2017, 20:10
Quote:
Sure, man. I looked at the video and I think I liked how the game looks most starting at 2:52, it's colorful/sharp enough, has better shadows, and has none of that bloom stuff. Though the shadows could be a bit less evident/softer so it doesn't look too striking, if that could be possible. And the motion blur is unnecessary since it's distracting in such a fast paced game. Also, is it possible to turn off that effect that darkens the edges of the screen?

I just hope this'll work on my system though, seems like you have a better PC than mine and it still lags.
Thank you again, you're being a lot of help in fine tuning the default settings for this.

First, my GPU is dying, thus the lag, and the settings are set insanely high right now, really taxing.

Second, yes, you can turn that off (It's called Vigenette). In fact, all of the settings can be adjusted and toggled in-game. This will allow every player to set the looks to their liking.

Third, adjusting the settings will (obviously) affect how taxing it all is on your system.
Your biggest concern is the Graphics, Processor has nothing to do with all that I'm adding in. I'm using a Radeon R7 250x (2GB DDR3). Being DDR3 is a huge Negative on performance.

T2-JesusChrist
Veteran++
Old
9 - 06-24-2017, 21:52

Silent Eagle
Old
10 - 06-26-2017, 05:25
nice Zurkin looks very cool cant wait when you finish your work

i hope it wont lag for me

ChocoTaco
Veteran++
Old
11 - 06-28-2017, 15:04
Reshade is aight. If you can get it working reliably.

https://reshade.me/

Last edited by ChocoTaco; 06-28-2017 at 15:12..
ChocoTaco
Veteran++
Old
12 - 07-13-2017, 01:26
Quote:
To do things like shader effects (like SSAO, bloom, dynamic range compression emulation, etc.) is more complicated with GL Intercept, because T2 uses "legacy" OpenGL (1.x). The various matrix transformations are done in fixed pipeline, which would be challenging to reconcile with a new vertex shader (designed to do those transformations in the programmable pipeline).

In any case: doing a full graphical overhaul of T2 without source code is out of the scope of the TribesNext project. While it is possible to replace the rendering pipeline by swapping out bits of Tribes2.exe compiled code with pieces of the Torque Game Engine, doing so would be more work than it would be worth. You could apply global shaders (especially ones that work primarily on the fragment level) in the way Ranzear did, but, to get good results, you'll need to tag different objects with different shaders (and hope the game's scenegraph is arranged in a way that shader program context switches don't kill your performance). Easier to just write a new Tribes game from scratch, though, in my opinion.
http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=3202.0
https://www.reddit.com/r/Tribes/comm..._for_tribes_2/

ZurkinWood497
Old
13 - 08-07-2017, 12:51
I understand what they're talking about there, but ReShade bypasses the entire 'legacy OpenGL' issue. It completely ignores the OpenGL version T2 uses and goes straight to the GPU to render the graphics; thus, we get SMAA, MXAO, AdaptiveLighting, etc.. It's wonderful.

I'm fine-tuning the graphic settings in ReShade right now, I'll have it uploaded by the end of the day.

ChocoTaco
Veteran++
Old
14 - 08-08-2017, 16:42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZurkinWood497 View Post
I understand what they're talking about there, but ReShade bypasses the entire 'legacy OpenGL' issue. It completely ignores the OpenGL version T2 uses and goes straight to the GPU to render the graphics; thus, we get SMAA, MXAO, AdaptiveLighting, etc.. It's wonderful.

I'm fine-tuning the graphic settings in ReShade right now, I'll have it uploaded by the end of the day.
Didnt see you released on the other site. Looks good but I get a lot fps drop tho.

ReShade_For_T2 (Download)

Last edited by ChocoTaco; 08-09-2017 at 14:27..
ChocoTaco
Veteran++
Old
15 - 08-09-2017, 15:06
Heres an example of a game that has been redone with the source code available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uurJ-zjhok

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Tribes 2
Reload this Page Tribes 2 Graphical enhancements

Social Website Bullshit