Do you support the minimum wage hike to $15 an hour? by |R|u|s|t|y| - Page 4 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Do you support the minimum wage hike to $15 an hour?
Page 4 of 36
View Poll Results: Do you?
Yes 40 27.97%
No 103 72.03%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Kerosene31
VeteranXV
Old
61 - 04-02-2016, 10:57
Yeah it needs to factor in cost of living. They are going to raise it in NY state which will apply to NYC and Buffalo the same. The cost of living is so different that this makes zero sense. $15/hour will crush our local economy.

Sponsored Links
Pagy
VeteranXX
Old
62 - 04-02-2016, 12:29
just reading this thread and I realized I've never made minimum wage in my entire life.

even as a teenager I had jobs that paid better. I'm not sure why people that can only perform jobs for children are entitled to live on min wage.

Fool
Whiny BitchX
Contributor
Old
63 - 04-02-2016, 12:31
My favorite thing is when they call it a "living wage". You know, because lots of Americans were dying from making less than $15 an hour.

Huscarl
VeteranXV
Old
64 - 04-02-2016, 12:44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
Your employers don't owe you anything more than the wage you agreed to work for. Don't like your job? Quit!
That's a fantastic idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool View Post
My favorite thing is when they call it a "living wage". You know, because lots of Americans were dying from making less than $15 an hour.
http://www.thesimpledollar.com/the-s...-debt-in-2015/

From the article:
-34% of Americans have revolving credit card debt.
-Average household credit card debt: $15,600

So while these people are not literally dying, they also have a negative net worth.

Last edited by Huscarl; 04-02-2016 at 12:55..
ZooL
VeteranXX
Old
65 - 04-02-2016, 12:54
I support minimum wage being 20$ an hour.

What the zombies don't understand is that simple labor tasks are being PHASED OUT.

Machines will replace them most handily.

Mechanic jobs will uptick. (you will either learn to fix something or build something or you will not work)

But with manufacturing jobs leaving the nation at an alarming rate and the mass influx of unskilled workers from foreign nations....

Its a powder keg.

I will finally have the chaotic future that I saw in my dreams years ago.

ahahahah...MUAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAH

Fool
Whiny BitchX
Contributor
Old
66 - 04-02-2016, 13:10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huscarl View Post
http://www.thesimpledollar.com/the-s...-debt-in-2015/

From the article:

So while these people are not literally dying, they also have a negative net worth.

Except minimum wage jobs only make up 4% of all American workers. 34% having revolving credit card debt means most of those people are making more than minimum wage, and therefore raising it to $15 would have absolutely no impact on lessening the number of Americans who can't manage money for ****. If anything, the implication would be that raising minimum wage would increase debt, as people don't save money and tend to purchase more expensive items instead.

Logic.

Pagy
VeteranXX
Old
67 - 04-02-2016, 13:18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huscarl View Post

From the article:

so what you're saying is that the avg person lives outside their means and make stupid, selfish financial decisions?

maybe they should earn a higher wage instead of demanding one.

JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
68 - 04-02-2016, 13:21
I thought i read somewhere that minimum wage jobs were only like 2% of the jobs in the labor foce

The biggest problem is people are trying to come up with a one line answer to a multi-faceted problem.

Minimum wage jobs, even just low pay jobs aren't just work done by high school kids any longer. Everyone knows the middle class is being killed off...meaning middle class jobs are being shipped out of the country. Well if middle class jobs are being shipped out of the country at the rate of about 15k a month since the mid 80's, what do people think those workers are going to do? They can try to compete with the fresh crop of 20 somethings that come out of college every year into a saturated market, or they can take the lower paying jobs. The people i see around here in low paying jobs like mcdonalds or mom and pop jobs aren't kids and 20 somethings. THey are 30's, 40's and older. It's not unusual to see a 50-60 year old working a drive thru window around here because there are really no 'middle' jobs You either have high tech jobs, or you have low end blue collar jobs. between those are hospitality jobs. Lots of those i guess.

There are issues that have to be addressed relating to the job market environment and economy in the country before people can start talking about pay rates while scoffing about 'those jobs are for kids'.

LouCypher
VeteranX
Old
69 - 04-02-2016, 14:00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerosene31 View Post
Take all the welfare money and only give it to people who work 40 hours a week. That way, you essentially raise minimum wage without adding cost to anything. You're just shifting the money already there.
Take them off welfare, they turn to crime. Arrest them and it costs more than $31,200/year ($15 x 40 x 52) to incarcerate them.

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
70 - 04-02-2016, 14:06
Seattle Washington: No one wants to work anymore than a few days a week now because if they work too much they don't get their handouts.

Sir Hobbleton Scotch
Veteran5
Old
71 - 04-02-2016, 14:16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool View Post
Inflation and different cost of living...how does it work?

i am against increase the min wage because it is just an incentive for automation to take over. Honestly I think the biggest problem is we have less and less jobs every year but more and more people. There will eventually be a tipping point of mass poverty. Overpopulation is our biggest threat.

cancer
VeteranXX
Old
72 - 04-02-2016, 14:18
no for small businesses but yes for large corporations like mcd's and walmart

arcadus
VeteranXX
Old
73 - 04-02-2016, 14:19
15 bux an hour isnt ****

cancer
VeteranXX
Old
74 - 04-02-2016, 14:22
i think the biggest problem is ppl think it's ok to continue procreating when they have no means to provide for their own children and then ***** about not having enough resources

Kerosene31
VeteranXV
Old
75 - 04-02-2016, 14:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuggerNaught View Post
I thought i read somewhere that minimum wage jobs were only like 2% of the jobs in the labor foce

The biggest problem is people are trying to come up with a one line answer to a multi-faceted problem.

Minimum wage jobs, even just low pay jobs aren't just work done by high school kids any longer. Everyone knows the middle class is being killed off...meaning middle class jobs are being shipped out of the country. Well if middle class jobs are being shipped out of the country at the rate of about 15k a month since the mid 80's, what do people think those workers are going to do? They can try to compete with the fresh crop of 20 somethings that come out of college every year into a saturated market, or they can take the lower paying jobs. The people i see around here in low paying jobs like mcdonalds or mom and pop jobs aren't kids and 20 somethings. THey are 30's, 40's and older. It's not unusual to see a 50-60 year old working a drive thru window around here because there are really no 'middle' jobs You either have high tech jobs, or you have low end blue collar jobs. between those are hospitality jobs. Lots of those i guess.

There are issues that have to be addressed relating to the job market environment and economy in the country before people can start talking about pay rates while scoffing about 'those jobs are for kids'.
The middle class is the problem. The middle is what drives the economy. The middle class does better, they go buy more stuff, creating more jobs, and on and on. That's how economy works.

The shrinking middle class should scare the **** out of everyone. How exactly do the rich get rich? Selling stuff to others. What are they going to do as their customer base shrinks? Short term nothing because who gives a ****, but what about when the day comes where nobody is left to buy.

Both political parties have it wrong. The right wants to give money to the rich and watch it trickle down (lol). The left wants to give it to the poor and watch everyone magically join the middle class. Neither argument works.

JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
76 - 04-02-2016, 14:31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancer View Post
i think the biggest problem is ppl think it's ok to continue procreating when they have no means to provide for their own children and then ***** about not having enough resources
I think with that, there has to be a balance. Not having a good job or a good enough job, shouldn't determine a person's ability to procreate.

But at the same time, that doesn't mean you should have 4-5-6 kids when you can barely take care of 1-2 and yourself

Last edited by JuggerNaught; 04-02-2016 at 14:39..
Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
77 - 04-02-2016, 14:38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancer View Post
I'm all for spaying and neutering.

Actually, if we treated the cost of birth the same way we do student loans this **** would be done in one generation.

JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
78 - 04-02-2016, 14:39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerosene31 View Post
The middle class is the problem. The middle is what drives the economy. The middle class does better, they go buy more stuff, creating more jobs, and on and on. That's how economy works.

The shrinking middle class should scare the **** out of everyone. How exactly do the rich get rich? Selling stuff to others. What are they going to do as their customer base shrinks? Short term nothing because who gives a ****, but what about when the day comes where nobody is left to buy.

Both political parties have it wrong. The right wants to give money to the rich and watch it trickle down (lol). The left wants to give it to the poor and watch everyone magically join the middle class. Neither argument works.
Well, people like bernie sanders would have everyone believe that you can legislate people into financial 'equality' and you can.....for a short period. But if there aren't jobs to sustain that, the 'equality' won't stand.

People still have this view of the U.S. like this country and the world is exactly the same as it was in the late 40's, 50's and 60's when the U.S. was in its heyday for the middle class. My grandfather was able to come home from wwII, get a pretty good job as a millwright, buy a 70+ acre farm, raise kids all with nothing more than a high school education. He was at the same union job for about 40 years and he had the farm during the 70's when there was so much subsidies going on he was being paid not to grow certain crops.

This isn't that time any longer. The world is much smaller. People don't get into a job with a single company in their 20's and stay there until retirement. It takes way more than a high school diploma to do a lot of things and that education isn't cheap and farmers get ****ed like $2 whores today,

And the really messed up part is when you start looking at the specifics, in many ways, we have started cutting our own throats right around the time the WWII ended and have just kept doing it since then

BionicBooger
VeteranXV
Old
79 - 04-02-2016, 14:43
Doesn't matter, not gonna happen. Now back to the quarry, peons!

JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
80 - 04-02-2016, 14:48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicBooger View Post
Doesn't matter, not gonna happen. Now back to the quarry, peons!
oh yeah? This was 3 days ago

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-p...331-story.html

Quote:
In a move that puts California at the forefront of efforts to raise wages for low-income workers across the country, the Legislature approved a sweeping plan Thursday to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour over the next six years, boosting the future paychecks of millions of the state's workers.

The Senate voted 26 to 12 — with loud cheers of “Si se puede” from the gallery above — to give final approval and send the measure to Gov. Jerry Brown's desk less than one week after a legislative compromise. Brown will sign the wage hike into law in Los Angeles on Monday.

“At its core, this proposal is about fairness,” Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León (D-Los Angeles) said just before the vote.

“This is historic, and today I am proud to be a Californian.”

Under the plan, the state's hourly minimum wage would increase from the current $10 to $10.50 on Jan. 1, 2017, then to $11 the following year, and increase by $1 annually until 2022.

How California's Legislature voted: Did your lawmaker support raising the minimum wage?
How California's Legislature voted: Did your lawmaker support raising the minimum wage?
Businesses with fewer than 26 employees would get an additional year to comply, and Brown and his successors could delay the increases by one year in the case of an economic downturn. Assuming no pauses, the minimum wage would increase each year based on inflation starting in 2024.

All but two Democrats — Assembly members Tom Daly of Anaheim and Adam Gray of Merced — voted for the increase, and not a single Republican in either chamber voted for the measure. Both raised concerns about the automatic cost-of-living increases that would raise the wage higher than $15 an hour as soon as 2024.

The plan passed the state Assembly earlier Thursday, 48 to 26, after opponents complained it was rushed and did not include a wide group at the negotiating table during what at times was an emotional debate in both houses of the Legislature.

Democratic lawmakers exhorted their colleagues to think of the difficulties of working families in a state with large income inequality and high housing costs.

“This is an argument about economic justice,” Assemblyman Sebastian Ridley-Thomas (D-Los Angeles) said during floor debate. “Justice is not something that can be negotiated or compromised.”

Republicans countered that a too-high minimum wage would limit opportunity particularly for those just entering the workforce.

“Our job in this building is to help people climb the economic ladder, not cut off the bottom rungs,” said Sen. Ted Gaines (R-Rocklin), calling it a “death sentence” for struggling businesses in his district. “That is exactly what will happen if we shove this unprecedented cost increase on businesses.”

Economists have estimated the measure would increase the pay of 5.6 million workers across the state — nearly 1 in 3. No state has a minimum wage higher than California's $10 an hour, and this deal will put California on a path to remain the highest in the country.

Restaurants have most at stake over $15 minimum wage
Restaurants have most at stake over $15 minimum wage
Republicans and business groups, including the California Chamber of Commerce, California Restaurant Assn., warned that the pay hike was too much too fast and that it didn't take into account the broad differences between California's rich and poor regions.

The decision, they said, would cause layoffs and quicker automation of low-wage jobs.

Gray said in an interview after the vote that the effect on the state budget and automatic cost-of-living increases were deal-breakers for him.

He said his Central Valley district was very different from the wealthier coastal areas of California.

“We have systemic, decades-long double-digit unemployment,” Gray said. “While $15 an hour probably isn't even high enough for areas like San Francisco and parts of Los Angeles and our other urban centers, it's too high for some small businesses and some communities.”

Thursday's action came after a whirlwind week in the Capitol, with Brown formally outlining the plan on Monday.

The package is less aggressive than two labor-sponsored ballot measures that would have increased the minimum wage to $15 an hour more quickly.

The leverage created by the ballot measures spurred Brown, who previously had been hostile to raising the wage beyond its current levels, to make a deal.

Brown's decision, followed by swift legislative approval, marks the biggest success yet for a national movement backed by labor unions to increase minimum wages to $15 an hour.

Though major cities, including Los Angeles, have increased their minimum wage to that level, no state had done the same until Thursday, though New York is considering a similar measure.

Earlier in the week, both Democratic presidential candidates, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont, expressed their support for California's decision.

During debate, Sen. Mark Leno (D-San Francisco) told his colleagues that his bill would lift many hard-working Californians out of poverty.

“Workers are struggling,” Leno said. “Two point two million Californians are currently earning minimum wage, and they are struggling in poverty because it is a sub-poverty wage.”

But Republican Sen. Jim Nielsen said increasing the minimum wage will hurt new workers and lead to mechanization of jobs, saying: “You will go to the hamburger store, and you won't have a young person or elderly person to wait on you.”

Hundreds of supporters of the measure rallied outside the Capitol on Thursday and packed the Assembly before the vote.

Why the $15-per-hour increase could help more than minimum-wage workers
California’s minimum-wage increase to $15 an hour over the next six years passed its most critical legislative test Thursday morning, with the state Assembly approving the deal.
Once the decision was official, cheers came down from the gallery and Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon (D-Paramount) and de León shared a long hug on the Assembly floor.

Guadalupe Salazar, 40, a fast-food worker from Oakland who attended the Capitol rally, said the vote Thursday was the culmination of a years-long effort to boost the wage and improve the quality of a life for her family, including her daughter, who makes minimum wage as a thrift store clerk in Orange County.

“They finally opened their ears to what we need,” Salazar said.

Aside from affecting low-wage workers, the deal will have broad consequences on all sectors of the economy and the state budget.

The state Department of Finance has estimated that the wage increase would cost the state $3.6 billion annually by 2023, primarily from a pay boost for in-home healthcare workers in the public sector.

Beyond that, the wage hike also will increase the pay of workers whose salaries are tied to the minimum wage.

For instance, teachers and other workers who are exempt from state overtime rules must be paid at least double the minimum wage or receive overtime.

Page 4 of 36

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Do you support the minimum wage hike to $15 an hour?

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
alex dare levert , alex levert