Rogues....

if you think a rogue sucks then you aren't playing it right.. Use your sealth. think of it as a DPS race. you gotta take their power before they take down yours. if you have a dagger.. use your sealth and ambush.. then start to attack.

First aid is your backbone. As builds.. i suggest going combat if you are new. then taking a look at the other ones. Assassination is solid and fun later on. cold blood ftw.

well everyone plays different.. if you like slice and dic. then i would look at the assassination tree if i were you, and pick some out of the combat tree that you wanna use.

1) Learn to play a rogue.
2) Learn to play a rogue.
3) Learn to play a rogue.
4) You need to find out what type of fighting style suits you best. Daggers are the best burst damage for a rogue; whereas, swords give you sustainability.
5) 30/8/13 (Daggers): http://www.wowhead.com/talent/?fhebsxMoxGcZ0xx0h
6) 18/33/0 (Swords): http://www.wowhead.com/talent/?fhezoxZG0EzMVzxco
7) 31/8/13 (Daggers): http://www.wowhead.com/talent/?fhebsxMotGcZ0xx0b

The three builds above are my personal favorites. I was daggers from 1 to 60, so 30/8/13 and 31/8/12 were the builds I switched between. Once a Vis'kag dropped, I went to 18/33/0 and am loving it in PvP against plate.

Does weapon speed matter for sword Rogues (for leveling)? Right now my little level 25-ish Combat Rogue is wielding two 2.60-ish speed Swords, and since I'm a terrible Rogue as-is, I don't want to look stupider than I probably already am.

P.S. Sucks how much stuff you have to grind as Rogue...cooking for tea (I know it only requires like 90 cooking, but it's so aggravating having to kill all those damn Westfall vultures/boars for hours trying to get Small Egg/Chunk of Boar Meat to drop), Poisons, lockpicking...shit, my attention span is taxed to the limit just grinding weapon skills and Herbalism on my Warrior.

Last edited:
Ben Reed said:
Does weapon speed matter for sword Rogues (for leveling)? Right now my little level 25-ish Combat Rogue is wielding two 2.60-ish speed Swords, and since I'm a terrible Rogue as-is, I don't want to look stupider than I probably already am.

P.S. Sucks how much stuff you have to grind as Rogue...cooking for tea (I know it only requires like 90 cooking, but it's so aggravating having to kill all those damn Westfall vultures/boars for hours trying to get Small Egg/Chunk of Boar Meat to drop), Poisons, lockpicking...shit, my attention span is taxed to the limit just grinding weapon skills and Herbalism on my Warrior.
Slow main hand fast offhand.

Weapon speed does matter for instant attacks still, all that got normalized were attack power gains.

Ben Reed said:

With swords you want to maximize white damage and keep slice and dice up as much as possible. Since S&D is a purely % modifier, it benefits slower weapons (maces/swords) more than faster weapons (daggers).

Weapon speed doesn't really matter as much as topend and damage range for swords, as all your special attacks are calculated with the same normalized weapon speed (1.7 for daggers I think 2.6 for swords).

SnD isn't always the most efficient way to use your combo points. At least it's not for me at 60 with my gear. (*shrug*) For the 1 to 60 grind, SnD is very effective when soloing, but for 60+ that's not typically the case.

Krius said:
spec for SS when you level up, solo with daggers sucks.

Already got 2/2 Imp SS, I was an idiot and didn't get Improved Gouge, though.

Spec so far is something like 5/6/5 (went for Camouflage first [god I suck], then Malice, then went back to Combat for Imp SS and 3/5 Lightning Reflexes).

FalseMyrmidon said:
Slow main hand fast offhand.

Weapon speed does matter for instant attacks still, all that got normalized were attack power gains.

No. no no no.

Instant attacks are now normalized. Swords - 2.4. Daggers - 1.7 Maces - no one fucking cares cuz they're lame anyway.

Bluey McBluerstein said:
As of patch 1.8, attack speed has no bearing on your primary special attacks (SS, Backstab, and Ambush). These all now use a "normalized" speed for attack power calculations. Daggers use 1.7, other 1h weapons use 2.4. So, for looking at which weapon will do the most main hand special attack damage, the sole determining factor is the damage range.

Man, wishing you had reread that, didn't ya? ;)

Last edited:
Also, if you want a fat build for lvling, don't gimp yourself going for a sealfate build until later levels. same with vigor.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent/?iVe0oxZGc

That's a good build by lvl 36 for grinding. it focuses on the crit you can get, and if youre grinding, remorseless attacks is so great for getting started off with a crit on your special attacks. It really starts to add up the closer you get to seal fate as well, as a crit gives you 2cp rather than 1.

myself and anoter rogue tried to lvl as quick as possible (~10days /played) he with a 21/30 combat and myself with a 31/8/10, and he beat me by like 4 hours played.

Another good endgame daggers build:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent/?i0eMoxZGci00yzZ0xx

pumps out the dps with increased offhand if you have the weapons for it.

Gringo said:
No. no no no.

Instant attacks are now normalized. Swords - 2.4. Daggers - 1.7 Maces - no one fucking cares cuz they're lame anyway.

Man, wishing you had reread that, didn't ya? ;)
Yeah, that's what I meant.

I guess I should have said slower is better for weapons of equal dps instead.

I've got a mace rogue, I quite like it. I've been using maces since about level 45, swords before that. I hate daggers and despite everyone telling me to go Lobo/Glacial, I'm not doing it - I've considered getting Glacial for offhand but I'm not really sold on that at the moment. I top the DPS chart on 10 man scholo and strat runs almost every time. Usually in the top 3 for UBRS. I'm not doing too bad. And it's fun. I get a lot of comments on it too, which is amusing.

My build is 21/22/6 (no the 6th point is not in the cooldown talent :p, its in camo) but I'll probably respec at 60 and end up with 21/25/5. My SS crits are 750, and while a huge ambush is nice, I can do an equal amount of damage by getting the opener. It just takes about 3 seconds longer.

I don't honestly know why I started using maces, I just saw one I liked with a good proc (The Shatterer) and had it made - it proced all the fucking time (at least once a fight) and I got Wirt's Third Leg mostly for the stats, but I used it from 41 til 58. Currently I'm using this and this. The MH is like a Krol Blade in terms of damage, but has stats instead of a crit chance. And was 500 gold cheaper. I'm still not sure if I'm going to switch the offhand to glacial or not, I haven't decided. At the moment it has 15agi on it, and I'm quite happy with it. We'll see.

But yeah, being a rogue doesn't suck, at least I don't think so. I play warrior, lock, and mage as well from time to time (53 warrior most often, a 60 mage [not mine] after that) and I don't enjoy them nearly as much. Skilling up cooking if you want thistle tea (I've used 5 in my entire expirience) is easy as piss, lockpicking is annoying though. You level them up on the boat near Ratchet to 100 and then after that you can go to the Venture Co place near Sun Rock. I picked the SM doors a fair amount as well. And poisons, while a bit expensive towards the end, are so worth it. Watching a mob try to run away after hitting it with Crippling II is great. And nothing beats the satisfaction of a 2500pt Evis with a worn dagger in your mainhand.

Fi. said:
I've got a mace rogue, I quite like it. I've been using maces since about level 45, swords before that. I hate daggers and despite everyone telling me to go Lobo/Glacial, I'm not doing it - I've considered getting Glacial for offhand but I'm not really sold on that at the moment. I top the DPS chart on 10 man scholo and strat runs almost every time. Usually in the top 3 for UBRS. I'm not doing too bad. And it's fun. I get a lot of comments on it too, which is amusing.
Mace spec gets lame if you get into the Endgame, because there just... aren't any. There's *one* "good" Epic mace, it's Mainhand only, has tank stats, and isn't as good as any of the comparable swords. =\

I was maces for a good stretch of my levelling, but it just falls apart at endgame.

Back